Vietnam Deel 2

What do foreigners think about noise pollution in Vietnam?

Even een stukje in het kader van de zondagsrust... O-)

full

A speaker at a glasses store in Go Vap District emits deafening noise

Noise pollution, especially from music at shops and restaurants, has become an alarming problem in Vietnam’s major cities in recent years. Many expats in Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi have experienced uncomfortable moments due to the noise. Tuoi Tre News conducted some short interviews to listen to their stories.

Geoffrey Morris, Australian - English teacher in Ho Chi Minh City
I have been in Vietnam for five years. My colleague told me that his neighbor played music until 4:00am in the morning once. He did not call the police, but the landlord, who came and spoke to the guy but apparently nothing changed. He lives in District 4.

I think maybe the law is clear in Australia as we know that from Sunday to Thursday we must finish before 10:00pm, while on Friday and Saturday the law is midnight. Otherwise, the police can be called and are able to stop the music. For a business, the case would be more serious, as the authorities can shut the business down if they don’t follow the regulation.

Sometimes in Vietnam restaurants play music very loudly and it’s uncomfortable for foreigners. I’ve been to a restaurant where the speakers are at the front door and direct the music out. The people in the shop might not hear the music but it is really terrible for the people outside.

Maybe it’s the difference between Western and Asian culture, because I have seen some similar things like this in South Korea, and Taiwan. People use speakers to advertize their products, but in Australia, we never go to a shop that plays music too loud.

George Chapman, English teacher in Ho Chi Minh City
I have been in Vietnam for six years. I live in the center of District 1 near New World hotel. It’s funny because in the UK you would expect bars to be quite loud, especially bars which play live music or clubs, but in Vietnam it is usually shops that are very loud.

It’s strange. I can understand why fashion shops play music, however, I don’t know why people have to play loud electronic music to get customers to buy food, baby clothes, furniture. Why do they need to advertise with such loud music?

Moreover, the shops are often located on busy roads, like Cach Mang Thang Tam, with lots of vehicles. People are distracted and there are also problems for the people who live nearby.

The music often plays constantly and it is the same song at maximum volume. It sounds like the speaker will break because it’s so loud.

It’s really disruptive when people want to go to sleep at 10:00 pm and get up early in the morning to go to work, but the music at some shops might last until midnight or even go all night.

Ronnie Hill, English teacher in Ho Chi Minh City
I have been in Vietnam for nearly 16 years. I came to Hanoi from the UK in 2001 and lived there only six months before moving to HCMC. I found myself quite uncomfortable with the volume from shops in Vietnam. When I was in Hanoi, I lived right behind Hoa Lu stadium, and they have a lot of promotional events and concerts in the summer. It was very noisy all day.

In the UK, we have rules that prescribe how loud the music can be. We can ask someone to check the volume. They have a machine to come and check. The procedure is very simple. The authorities come immediately if someone complains. Unlike in Vietnam, we do not have to fill in any documents or prove anything. We just need to make a call and the authorities will react straight away.

Bethan Abraham, English teacher in Ho Chi Minh City
I have been in Vietnam for five years. I live in Phu My Hung, which is a quiet area. However, beer clubs near my house play their music too loud. It’s really noisy.

In the UK, we can report the case to the police and they will immediately send somebody out to measure the sound. If the violator continually repeats the action, the authorities will eventually send him to jail. They also ban disruptive activities. We have to be below a certain volume. Also, nobody will go to a shop that plays loud music or has speakers in our country.

I cannot shop at Vivo City in District 7 because it is too noisy for me.

Dr Mike Turner, Australian, Chair of the Business Department at Broward College Vietnam
I have been living in Vietnam for just over two years, however prior to that time I’ve visited Vietnam at least five times each year since 2005. Vietnam seems to be the noisiest country on earth, or at least of the many countries I have visited. I recently moved from an apartment that was very close to a karaoke bar. It was no use trying to sleep before midnight as the music was played at a deafening volume. Once asleep I would be aroused around 4am by activity in the street like motorbike horns, people talking and sellers yelling out their products, all building to a noise level where sleep would be impossible.

Unlike Vietnam, in Australia you don’t generally find homes in business areas. It is illegal to run businesses next to homes unless they do not disturb the environment or cause noise pollution.

The Vietnamese government needs to enact laws to protect its people as they need quality sleep and rest time. From personal experience, somedays I have been useless after I have been kept awake at night by the Vietnamese monster that is noise pollution.

Bron: TEMPLATE | HOME

Ze brengen het allemaal vrij netjes. Laat ik dat ook maar doen, want als ik hier schrijf, waar ik de aso’s hier in de omgeving met grote regelmaat voor uitmaak, schrappen de moderatoren –terecht- alles. :X

Laten we het erop houden dat ik wat selectieve blikseminslagen luidkeels juichend zou verwelkomen... *O* :Y *O* :t O-)

Goh, ik kan natuurlijk ook in navolging van de rest van de buurlieden zelf een karaoke-installatie kopen.

Kijk, mijn zangkunsten zijn zo slecht –gemiddeld een half oktaaf ernaast- dat ik zelfs niet onder de douche durf te zingen.... :+
En dan toch samen met Clapton: “Blues before sunrise” op vol volume (eerste nummer van “From the Cradle”, m.i. beste intro ever).
Gevolgd door de Stones: “I can get no satisfaction”…. Nou, reken maar van yes! :Y
Op GRRR! staan nog wel meer toepasselijke nummers als bv. “I wanna be your man” (al zullen de buren dat denkelijk niet willen) en “19th nervous breakdown” (zijn ze het vast mee eens).
“It’s all over now” en “The last time” slaan we uiteraard over want dat is het nog lang niet...

Hmmm, het idee wordt steeds aantrekkelijker O-)

En wat nog het ergste is, is dat alles nog flink overstemd is ook, vervorming van hier tot Tokio.. Zelfs TV en Radio-uitzendingen (waarvan je denkt dat er toch wel een audio-technicus zou moeten werken) zijn overstemd...(of is dit nou overstemt....;-) )

Ik stel voor een CD'tje van schreewende varkens snachts volluit te zetten... als wraak.

Wel aan te raden om niet zomaar de stekker uit een luidspreker te trekken.... voor het weet heb je een gevangenis-straf aan je broek...... Geen Dalat daar denk ik....

En wat nog het ergste is, is dat alles nog flink overstemd is ook, vervorming van hier tot Tokio.. Zelfs TV en Radio-uitzendingen (waarvan je denkt dat er toch wel een audio-technicus zou moeten werken) zijn overstemd...(of is dit nou overstemt....;-) )

Ik stel voor een CD'tje van schreeuwende varkens snachts volluit te zetten... als wraak.

Wel aan te raden om niet zomaar de stekker uit een luidspreker te trekken.... voor het weet heb je een gevangenis-straf aan je broek...... Geen Dalat daar denk ik....
stevige death-metal O-) }) , schreeuwende varkens valt niet op tussen alle valse karaoke

Sommige karaoke is inderdaad erger dan gillende varkens op weg naar de slachter. En death metal, ik moet er zelf ook nog wel een beetje plezier aan beleven. Dus rock en blues zal wel de boventoon voeren.

Misschien moeten we “It’s a gas”, van Alfred E. Neuman (Mad, 1963):
er ook maar tussengooien. :+

Maar ik zit dit weer te typen tijdens het gedreun van bassen met af en toe een gillend varken tussendoor. En er is echt niets aan te doen. Minh heeft bij het adjuncthoofd van de politie geïnformeerd (waar we op goede voet mee staan) en de politie doet er niets aan. Heel misschien als het frequent na 24:00 blijft doorgaan. En het artikel gaf al aan dat dit een structureel iets is, niet alleen lokaal hier bij mij in the middle of screaming pigs.

Kortom, oplossingen -anders dan molotov-cocktails- zijn er domweg niet.

Gadget nostalgia in Vietnam: My trusty Nokia

full

Do you text, Twitter, Skype or Facebook? Amazing how we can change nouns into verbs!

So... do you Samsung, Oppo or iPhone? Do you lust after, long for or deeply desire the latest smartphone in silver, gray or solid gold? Smartphones are surreal, spectacular and singularly spacy... but my ancient Nokia is better!

I love talking to my students about their latest status symbol acquisitions. I’m using ‘acquisitions’ as a plural noun because I have no idea how they can afford to upgrade the weird things so often. Our conversations do get decidedly funny as my students trade comments on their ‘babies’’ abilities (the phones I mean...) and talent at doing everything except washing the dishes.

The winning student at the moment (things change so rapidly in the land of phones) has a gold-edged phone that plays games at the same time as reading my mind and downloading the answers to next week’s test: the last trick brings gasps of awe from their highly envious fellow students...

I’m often amused during class break time when my students whip out their phones to watch the latest download of a TV series or play simple arcade games. It’s the relative speed that is funny, especially when compared to the time-wasting ten minutes it seems to take everyone to pull out one pencil, one notebook and this week’s lesson book. It’s quite odd to watch teenagers or young adults talk to each other without looking up from their screens – it’s not quite ‘village of the damned’ but sometimes a little spooky.

Occasionally during my verbal warm-ups at the start of classes, “So, what’s new?”, draws a long moan of despair as students recount their parents confiscating phones after late night movie marathons or just once in a while, the true horror... “I dropped my phone and now it’s in the shop getting fixed”. Teenage blood drains at the thought – they all know it’s going to take forever to fix. Two weeks without a phone – terrifying, isn’t it?

Belonging as I do to what will possibly be the last generation of humans who had to make our own fun by actually playing with things we found outside, I simply chuckle and pull out my battered old Nokia. “THIS is the phone you should have bought!” I wildly claim. “It’s nearly 12 years old and still works”. My students look at me like I’m a caveman recently emerging from Son Doong when I tell them it only has basic texting, no Internet and that the camera inside is terrible.

It’s not an idle boast. My little Nokia, with its scratched outer casing and flip screen, will be a valuable relic when I’m 105 years old recalling my life for TV. It’s been run over by a truck (twice) in Australia, dropped in the swirling floodwaters of Typhoon Katasana in Hoi An, drowned in a luxury pool in Langkawi off the coast of Malaysia and thrown against bricks, wood, roads, tables and kitchen tops in my fits of frustration at life’s impossibilities. And yes, it reads minds and does the dishes as well.

I’m sure even my older readers will be wagging their eyebrows skyward as they read this squinting at their 5x9 screen, tut-tutting me for not adapting to modern technology. I can hear the silent thought bubbles being projected at me; “But Stivi...my phone will call a cab, check the weather, tell me where the nearest pub is showing the F1 racing and train my dogs as well...!”

As I frequently and futilely point out to my students – gadgets have their place but shouldn’t take over your lives. Call a cab? I’d get some exercise and wave down a cab. Check the weather? What’s wrong with stepping outside the house and holding a finger into the wind? As for finding pubs, well that should be a day’s outing with friends.

People often claim that they can do their work at the beach, check the latest news and chat to their friends overseas. Well, firstly – leave your work at the office. That’s what offices are for. Although I do check the news too – it’s never when the view around me is more interesting than the Internet. Yes, I still lug around a laptop with a big screen.

So as I take my smoke break outside while my students are busy gaming their way to level 11, I take in the air, the sunshine and the energy of the world, and all the while my trusty little Nokia sits back in the classroom – a snug, compact, indestructible and un-annoying part of my existence.

Well... break time is over...now it’s back to shouting at my students to stop emailing under the table while we learn about collocations! I wonder if there’s an app for that?

Er zijn hier gelukkig dus meer dwazen, die de goedkoopste Nokia hebben. :+

A Photographer's Guide to Vietnam

Een al ouder artikel maar met tips en fraaie opnames is te vinden op
Photo.net - Where Photographers Inspire Each Other

Het aan het eind genoemde fraaie boek “Passage to Vietnam” staat ook al heel lang bij mij in de kast. Ooit in de aanbieding bij DeSlegte. Of de CD nog ergens te vinden is? Ik heb mijn twijfels.

Hieronder een tweetal schermprints van de site.

full

full

Vietnamese students assemble in opposition to overtime classes

Students in the Central Highlands Province of Dak Lak gathered at their school gate earlier this week in a show of opposition to the school’s forced overtime classes.

Nguyen Huu Lam, deputy principal of Cao Ba Quat High School confirmed the incident, adding that students who played hooky to join the rally were marked absent from class. “There are many reasons for student absences and not all students marked absent that day were present at the gathering,” he said. “Those who gathered in front of the school gate might have misunderstood or accessed the wrong information regarding after-class study time."

According to some students, expectations were set at the beginning of this school year for students to attend three extra classes per week with four lessons each. Each lesson cost VND6,000 (US$0.27). The school’s population is around 1,300. “Parents have to pay VND6,000 a lesson. With around 30 students in a class, the fee is quite big,” a member of a secret Facebook group opposing the school’s policy of overtime classes posted.

The group was created following the school’s overtime class policy and has attracted nearly 600 students and parents. “It would be justified if the lessons were good, but they are not, so it’s nothing other than forcing students to attend,” the post added.
In other posts, students said they were not getting home until 8 or 9 in the evening after the extra classes, cutting into their self-study time and limiting opportunities to focus on their personal health and wellness. “We have to wake up at 5 in the morning to prepare for the main class,” one expressed. “Then we go home at noon for a very quick lunch before rushing back for afternoon classes.” A group poll was also created on the page, with 53 of the 54 participants voting against joining the overtime classes.

Before implementing the overtime classes, the school asked parents to sign in a letter of approval for their children to attend the classes “voluntarily.” “Though it said ‘voluntarily’, we wouldn’t dare not let our children join,” one parent said. Many parents also expressed dismay at seeing their children studying all day and noted the confusion created by the school for sometimes labeling the classes “tutorial” sometimes and other times labeling them “overtime classes.” “They have no time to rest,” parents stressed. “We all expressed our disagreement with those classes but the school rejected our opinions,” said N.M.H, parent of an 11th grader at the school.

What does the school say?
Though many oppose the program, deputy principal of Cao Ba Quat High School Nguyen Huu Lam is still a champion for the idea. According to Lam, the overtime classes were presented to parents for a vote, as well as representatives from parent associations, and most people showed their agreement. The school has also received no official opposition. Lam also added that the local education department gave its approval for the school to open the classes.

Meanwhile, director of the Dak Lak provincial Department of Education and Training Pham Dang Khoa said the opposition to the program has yet to be officially reported. According to Khoa, if the school calls the classes “tutorial classes,” then allowing the whole school to attend is in violation of current laws stipulating that tutorial classes may only be offered to unqualified students and without fees. The school must also ask for approval from the department before implementing any extra classes.

Khoa said the department is investigating the situation and the results will be announced.

Zie ook FredVN in "Vietnam Deel 2"
:X

Laatst bewerkt:
An Idiot’s Guide To Riding Through Vietnam By Motorbike

Thinking of riding from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh (or vice versa) by motorbike? Well you have come to the right place! In honour of my return to Vietnam later this week I have decided to write a guide to riding through Vietnam on a motorbike! Yay! This post is dedicated to the Vietnamese lady that works in the gelato shop in the Valley in Brisbane…respect!

I have previously written a 5 part article on my experience riding from north to south in 10 days, but who wants to trawl through all of that crap eh? Probably no-one! So here I will break down the essentials for you, tell you what you need to know and give you a whole bunch of tips as well. Even an idiot (like me) will be able to follow my guide and be able to have a similar adventure to mine! Welcome to…

Probably The Best Damn Guide About Riding Through Vietnam On A Motorbike That I Have Ever Written!

full

Yes folks so first things first, you’re gonna need some wheels…

Where Can I Buy A Bike!?

Wel, dat en nog veel meer is uitgebreid te lezen op
An Idiot’s Guide To Riding Through Vietnam By Motorbike

How to become an online mango tree owner in Vietnam

full

Urban dwellers both in and outside of Vietnam can now own productive mango trees with a couple of clicks of their mouse, and never have to worry about not having the space.

“Cay Xoai Nha Toi” (My Family’s Mango Tree), is an online program offering mango trees for sale that began this month as an initiative of the My Xuong Cooperative in Cao Lanh District, in the southern province of Dong Thap. The cooperative said on its website that upon purchase, customers own selected trees for a particular period of time, and the plants are grown and taken care of by growers at the plantation.

‘Owners’ are able to visit the garden where their chosen trees are grown, and with guidance from local growers, harvest the fruit as they wish. “Many city residents have already enjoyed owning, taking care of and harvesting their trees,” Vo Viet Hung, director of the cooperative, toldTuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper. He said that the program had attracted lots of attention from the market, adding that the cooperative planting procedure followed VietGAP (Good Agricultural Practices) standards. “Within just over a week of operation, 30 customers have reserved more than 50 trees from our website,” he said.

The ‘owner’ experience
Nguyen Thi Hong Ngoc, from Tan Phu District, in Ho Chi Minh City, said that she had little space to plant vegetables or fruit trees. So, through the program, Ngoc has made her home-farming dream come true by buying two mango trees for VND11 million (US$493). “The website displays images and detailed profiles of the trees including prices, so you can choose the trees you like,” she said.

Passionate about taking care of ‘her’ trees, Ngoc paid a visit to the garden of Do Van Em on Sunday, where both of her mango trees are planted. On meeting her plants, Ngoc was surprised to hear that each would bear more than 200 ripe mangos. During her visit, Ngoc was taught how to grow and take care of her mango trees, in particular the process of covering the fruits in bags to prevent infestation from pests.

Nguyen Van Phu, another customer in Ho Chi Minh City, said that his friends in Hanoi had bought approximately 10 mango trees, which were spread out over 2,200 square kilometers. “They are delighted to own mango trees so far to the south,” Phu said, adding that the cooperative sends his friends photos every week to provide regular updates on the health of their trees.

Mutual benefit
Despite being a new concept, the model has proved beneficial to both the customer and provider. “I never knew until now that planting mango trees following VietGAP standards meant covering the fruit in bags instead of using pesticides,” Ngoc said when talking about the programs adherence to food safety measures. “I grow this fruit myself, so I don’t have to worry about their safety,” she added. “I will harvest the mangos and give them to my relatives and friends as gifts. “Although they don’t cost a lot, these mangos will be adored for their quality,” Ngoc said.

Hung said that the main goal of the program was to get consumers to understand the process of planting and harvesting fruit, and in doing so build trust among growers, traders, and consumers themselves. Although mangos from Cao Lanh District are exported to lots of countries, Hung told Tuoi Tre that there are 9,000 hectares of mango trees in Dong Thap, meaning a huge amount of fruit was not consumed. “Those whose fruit is left unsold lose out. Therefore, by selling the whole tree, mango growers can earn a sustainable profit year-round, reducing lost income,” he said. “I was very happy when three trees of mine were sold, it meant I didn’t have to worry about losing money on this crop or the one after,” Em said.

Le Minh Hoan, Secretary of the Dong Thap Party Committee, said that the model connects growers directly to consumers, creating a bond between them, and introduces the specialty to new markets in and outside of Vietnam.

Ehh.... ik heb ook nog een mangoboom in mijn tuin staan. Kopen??

'Eerste geval van baby met te kleine schedel door zika in Vietnam'

Het Ministerie van Volksgezondheid in Vietnam heeft zondag voor het eerst een melding gemaakt van de baby die vermoedelijk door het zikavirus is geboren met een te kleine schedel.

Volgens het ministerie is Zika vrijwel zeker de oorzaak. Het gaat om een vier maanden oude baby in de provincie Dak Lak. De moeder zou tijdens de zwangerschap met Zika zijn besmet. In Vietnam zijn tot nu toe negen gevallen van Zika bekend.

Onderzoek
Vorige week maakte de Europese Commissie bekend dat ze 45 miljoen euro vrijmaakt voor onderzoek naar het zikavirus en andere infectieziekten die door muggen worden verspreid.
Het geld wordt gestoken in onderzoek naar behandelingen, diagnostiek en vaccins, maakte EU-commissaris Carlos Moedas (Onderzoek, Wetenschap en Innovatie) bekend.
Het zikavirus dook vorig jaar op in Zuid-Amerika. De meeste mensen krijgen geen klachten, maar infectie tijdens de zwangerschap kan ertoe leiden dat het kind een klein hoofd en hersenafwijkingen krijgt. Het virus is tot nu toe vastgesteld bij 95 Nederlandse reizigers.

Bron: 'Eerste geval van baby met te kleine schedel door zika in Vietnam' | NU - Het laatste nieuws het eerst op NU.nl

En ik kan het commentaar alweer voorspellen...
• Welnee, muggen hier zijn onschadelijk...
• Nog nooit gehoord van Zika, Dengue of Malaria... :?
• Komt niet voor in Vietnam.. :N
• Sprookjes...
• Allemaal sensatieverhalen... :Y
• Er zijn hier nauwelijks muggen...
• Muggen in stilstaand water? Hoe verzin je het... _O-

Zucht.... |(

full

Laatst bewerkt:
A day at the beach is cheapest in Vietnam: ranking

Vandaag maar weer een luchtig stukje op de zondag…

full

Cua Dai Beach, Hoi An, Vietnam

Vietnam has emerged the most affordable beach holiday destination and French Polynesia the most expensive, in a new ranking that breaks down how much it costs to soak in the sun at seaside destinations around the world.

After whittling down an initial list of 900 destinations, travel website TravelBird calculated the cost of spending a day at the beach at 250 coastlines around the world, looking at the average cost of sunscreen, water, beer, ice cream and lunch. The result is the 2016 Beach Price Index, a ranking created to serve as a budgetary guideline for holidaymakers looking at booking a beach holiday.

While the beaches of Vietnam and India dominate the lower end of the list, for example, the luxurious beaches of French Polynesia and Seychelles emerged the costliest destinations, setting sun worshippers back between $55 and $60 a day for the privilege of soaking up the tropical rays.

Because on La Plage de Maui in Tahiti, a bottle of sunscreen purchased from the resort, local pharmacy or supermarket averages about $22, a bottle of beer about $8, and lunch about $25. That compares to Cua Dai Beach, Hoi An in Vietnam, where both sun protection and beer costs about $2, and lunch $8.

The report also breaks down the daily costs of visiting what they consider to be the top surf beaches, family beaches, most romantic and most relaxing beaches for would-be visitors.
For instance, surfers headed to Tamarindo Beach in Costa Rica, ranked the top surfing destination, are advised to budget about $28 for the day, while a day at the top-ranked family beach, Tulum in Mexico, averages about $29.

Here are some of the results:

Top five most expensive beaches around the world
La Plage de Maui, Tahiti, French Polynesia
Mareto Plage Publique, Moorea, French Polynesia
Anse Vata, Noumea, New Caledonia
Anse Georgette, Praslin, Seychelles
Anse Soleil Beach, Seychelles

Top five cheapest beaches
Cua Dai Beach, Hoi An, Vietnam
Ho Coc Beach, Ho Coc, Vietnam
City Beach, Nha, Vietnam
Long Beach, Phu, Quoc, Vietnam
Varkala Beach, Kerala, India

Top five surf beaches
Tamarindo Beach, Costa Rica
Watergate Bay, Newquay, UK
Cote des Basques, Biarritz, France
Uluwatu, Bali, Indonesia
Bondi Beach, Sydney, Australia

Top five family beaches
Tulum Beach, Mexico
Phra Nang Beach, Ao Nang, Thailand
Coronado Beach, California, USA
Plaka Beach, Naxos, Greece
Palolem, Beach, Goa, India

Top romantic beaches
Whitehaven, Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Kailua, Hawaii, USA
La Plage de Maui, Tahiti, French Polynesia
Cayo Coco, Cuba
Ile Sainte Marie, Madagascar

Bron: A day at the beach is cheapest in Vietnam: ranking

Engelse conversatie

Het is en blijft een interessant onderwerp. O-)
Want op de vaker door mij geciteerde site stond weer een heleboel geleuter.

“... een spraak- en luistertest Engels afgenomen. De resultaten varieerde van heel goed tot heel slecht; van 9,2 tot slechts 1,9.”
Daar kijk ik niet van op. Gisteren waren er 2 studenten uit groep 11

Student #1
Woont en studeert in Nha Trang.
Engelse conversatie is 1 unit = 45 min. per week.
Daarvan wordt er ca. 15 min. in groepjes van 2 gepraat over een door de leraar opgegeven onderwerp. Resultaat: ca. de helft van de klas spreekt matig tot redelijk Engels, de andere helft is niet geïnteresseerd.

Student #2

Gaat hier in the middle of nowhere op school (en de situatie op de scholen in Dien Khanh zal daar niet veel van verschillen).
Engelse conversatie is 1 unit = 45 min. per week.
De leraar praat en de leerlingen luisteren alleen maar. Ze praten niet zelf.
Van de ca. 40 leerlingen spreken er 3 matig Engels, de rest niet of nauwelijks.

Een dergelijke test op deze scholen zal ongetwijfeld een zelfde spreiding te zien geven.

“We doen er alles aan, zelfs met extra lessen buiten schooltijd, om het niveau omhoog te krijgen.”
Voorwaar een zeer nobel streven.

Maar dan.

“Dit is nodig omdat bij het eindexamen aan het vak Engels steeds hogere eisen worden gesteld door de overheid.”
Tja, en daar begint het geneuzel. Want diezelfde overheid heeft besloten...
“...dat het highschool-examen met ingang van volgend jaar, op literatuur na, geheel multiple-choice zal zijn. Voor Engels betekent dat b.v., dat er geen essay meer hoeft te worden gemaakt. Engelse conversatie zal ook volgend jaar niet in het examenprogramma zijn opgenomen. Bron: http://www.motor-forum.nl/forum/list_message/28046206#28046206”

En de slotzin is pertinent onjuist:
“Zonder een goed punt voor Engels is er geen toegang tot College of University.”
Met een 1 is inderdaad de deur gesloten. Alles daarboven, mits gecompenseerd door goede cijfers voor andere vakken (zie FredVN in "Vietnam" ), zet alle universitaire deuren wagenwijd open.

Nogmaals, ik blijf het nut van goede Engelse lessen en het goed spreken volledig onderschrijven. Maar de genoemde argumenten daarvoor zijn echt b*llsh*t (ehh, xin loi, kloppen voor geen dong).

full

full

Laatst bewerkt:
A day at the beach is cheapest in Vietnam: ranking

...Cua Dai Beach, Hoi An in Vietnam, where both sun protection and beer costs about $2, and lunch $8.
Hebben ze wel een duur middageten besteld zeg ;)
Die kraam reed vast niet weg na de middag.

Bogus websites trick benefactors in Vietnam

full

Fraudsters in Vietnam are taking advantage of the credibility of local charitable organizations to profit from their benefactors. In accordance with the law, fraudulent behavior involving local charities will be charged with property appropriation, with life in prison being the highest penalty.

The Ho Chi Minh City based Tinh Thuong (Love) Foundation, a charitable group famous for their Nu Cuoi (Smile) restaurants, recently reported a fake website had been created using their name. According to Vu Hong Ly, the fund’s coordinator, the bogus webpage, named donglong.vn, copied the logo and content of Tinh Thuong Foundation’s real website but presented a different bank account for donors to wire money in support of their cause. It also encourages benefactors to offer their assistance by texting a number that cost messengers VND15,000 (US$0.68) per message, Ly continued.

Ly expressed her concern that donors might mistakenly wire their donation to the wrong people, resulting in a loss of money and credibility to the group. The foundation’s operators have filed a report to the municipal Department of Police and posted warnings on their official website, tuthientinhthuong.org.

According to Nguyen Huu The Trach, a Vietnamese lawyer, forging the online information of individuals and organizations is against the law and could carry fines between VND20 million ($900.6) and VND30 million ($1,350).

Regarding the case of the Tinh Thuong Foundation, Le Trung Phat, another legal practitioner, says that scammers can be criminally charged with fraud and property appropriation. Depending on the severity of the violation, offenders sentencing could include 20 years in prison or even a life sentence, Phat elaborated. Value of the appropriated property and identities of the victims are the two main factors which will determine the criminal responsibility of fraudsters, the lawyer continued. Phat stated that operators of the Tinh Thuong Foundation should contact their benefactors to figure out the number of people who have been scammed as well as the total value of appropriated asset.

Such information should be attached to the report to support the police investigation and determine punishments for the con artist. According to the lawyers, it is recommended to conduct careful research on charitable organizations before performing any transaction, especially via online methods.

Benefactors should pay extra caution when wiring their money to a personal bank account.
A reliable webpage will contain information regarding the license and registration and contact details of its managers and founders, the legal practitioners added.

10 Things I Learned Riding A Motorbike Across Vietnam

While making our way across the Southeast Asia loop, my friend and I decided to buy Yamaha Nuovos for $280 a pop from a dude we met on the street. We thought it would be fun to drive them 2,200 KM through Vietnam with two guys we met on a bus ride from Cambodia. It took 5 weeks and a lot of freaking oil to make this trip happen, but was one of the better life choices we’ve made. Within the first few days on the road, the four of us collectively had a flat tire, multiple broken mirrors, a failed electrical system and more than one trip to the mechanic. Some might have given up, [we thought about it] but we decided to roll with the punches instead.

full

So with that… here are the top 10 things I learned while riding a motorbike across Vietnam:

1.They don’t call it ridin’ dirty for nothing
It’s absolutely filthy out there. Between the bug graveyard on our jackets/faces, we arrived each night covered in dirt, grease and other un-identifiable residue. With limited hot showers though, it felt pretty badass to be dirty and truly not care.

2.The wheel was a solid invention
The tire is arguably the most important part of a bike. This is pretty straightforward [sursly] but if one of those bad boys explodes at speed… well, good luck. It’s all the reason not to skimp on bike maintenance. General rule of thumb: keep your tires treaded, spare gas in your tank and your machine lubed.

3. The term “Vietnamese tattoo” doesn’t actually refer to ink and needles
Think more along the lines of skin and pavement. You get where I’m going with this? Just putting it out there – everyone falls off the horse eventually. More reason to drive carefully, take care of your bike and don’t do this trip alone.

4. The road less traveled isn’t paved very well

We made a point to drive off the main highway to get a more authentic feel for the country and quickly learned that the road less traveled is paved with potholes. A quality-paved road is truly a luxury. No wonder it took an entire day just to go 194 miles.

5. Knowing how to read a map is actually kind of important
When you are in the middle of bum-f*&k Vietnam, Google maps surprisingly doesn’t work very well. Even though we had SIM cards loaded with data, they didn’t always perform. We would like to give a shout out to all of the geography teachers out there for teaching us how to read and orientate a map.

6. The destination is only half important
I’m supposed to know this already but I can finally say it with conviction. It’s definitely about the journey, not the destination. The most exciting parts of this experience happened on the road, not in town at the end of the day. The bike problems, the moments of camaraderie, the friendly locals inviting us to rice wine, the best pho of my life…couldn’t tell you where it happened, just somewhere between here and there.

7. The rice industry is no joke
After driving through endless stretches of rice paddies, it’s hard to ever forget what goes into the food we eat and I will forever appreciate those little grains on my plate. Those rice farmers and how hard they work put my old days on the job to shame.

8. Commitment is a real thing
I’m gonna be completely honest here, buying the bikes was a bit of a novelty that faded quickly. On the first day out of the gate we had failure to launch and got separated from the gang within 20 minutes. When we retreated back to Pham Ngu Lao with tail between our heads, we had to re-evaluate the trip ahead. Yep we were still down; but the determination had officially set in. The next day we rode 14 hours straight just to catch up with our crew.

9. Team work makes the dream work
We did the trip in a group of 4 and it made everything that much better. Between the late night card games and moments we had to help each other out, traveling as a team made my gang feel like family. At the end of the day, it never mattered where we ended up or what kind of situation we were in, because we had each other.

10. That’s just the way of the road, baby
Somewhere between Hoi An and Hanoi, I almost ran over and killed a dog. Thank god I didn’t actually knock the little guy out, but it still scared me to tears. The thing is that shit happens. A lot of really scary shit like getting separated from your friends, or driving in the dark on empty, or seeing two guys on a bike next to you holding axes. But hey, that’s what we signed up for and it’s just the way of the road. Gotta roll with it!

Bron: http://www.wanderloveworld.com/insp...rned-while-riding-a-motorbike-across-vietnam/

Schoolkinderen-artikel

Zoals ergens in het volgende artikel staat, heeft het een behoorlijke tijd “op de plank gelegen”. Uiteindelijk heb ik om meerdere redenen besloten om het toch te plaatsen. Het is ditmaal niet het reguliere geleuter maar een serieus stuk. Ik hoop dus ook op veel en serieus commentaar.
Vandaar morgen geen post maar wel reacties op eventuele opmerkingen.

Schoolkinderen

Mijn achtergrond is financieel-bedrijfseconomisch, maar ik heb vrijwel mijn gehele carrière in de ICT gewerkt. Dit is dan ook vanuit die gecombineerde achtergrond geschreven.

Terecht?

Het project
Uit een project-omschrijving om voor arme kinderen in Vietnam het schoolgeld te betalen:
“Ieder kind op deze wereld moet tenminste een kans krijgen op een goed leven. Leren lezen, schrijven, rekenen, etc. is cruciaal voor zo’n kans in het leven.”
Volkomen mee eens.

Maar geldt dat ook voor dit project?

“Ieder kind...”
Voor mij gaat het daar al de fout in: je kunt uiteraard niet voor ieder arm kind het schoolgeld betalen. Maar afgezien daarvan, m.i. is de selectie in dit project een te grote willekeur. De globale regels zijn:
• Niet 2 uit 1 gezin
• Max 10 per school
Dat laatste betekent dus scheve ogen en jaloerse blikken bij de rest van de misschien nog wel armere kinderen van die school, die maar moeten zien hoe ze zich redden.

Gelijkheidsbeginsel
Dat is hier natuurlijk ver te zoeken, zelfs binnen de “doelgroep”. Het geld gaat naar een klein en “select” groepje en niet naar “alle” kinderen. Ter vergelijking, bij Plan Nederland betaal je mee aan een project en niet aan individuele kinderen. Het project in Indonesië van “mijn kind” (een grote watertank en stenen muurtjes voor elk huis in het dorp) heb ik twee keer bezocht en zo daadwerkelijk de voortgang kunnen zien.

Arm
Al vaker is de vraag naar voren gekomen: “wie is arm?” En ik weet het na al die jaren nog steeds niet. Er zijn inmiddels meerdere posts over dit heikele onderwerp. Voor het schoolkinderenproject vindt de armoedebepaling o.a. plaats op basis van de inrichting van het huis.
Te subjectief naar mijn idee.

School
De basisstof wordt in de gewone les behandeld, in de extra lessen vaak een verdieping van de stof. Overhoringen gaan vaak over de in de verdieping behandelde stof.
Extra lessen kosten geld. De kinderen uit het project zullen geen geld hebben voor extra lessen.
Gevolg: ze zullen zelden hoge cijfers halen.

Omdat deze cijfers meetellen op het examen zullen ze naar alle waarschijnlijkheid ook lage cijfers op hun examen hebben. Gevolg: geen kans op een beroepsopleiding.
Dus naar de fabriek.

En als ze wel beroepsopleiding hebben kunnen volgen maar geen geld hebben om een baan in dat vakgebied te kopen, dan blijven er alleen baantjes als motorfietsenoppasser, vaatwasser e.d. over.

En laten we ook vooral niet vergeten: sommige scholen zijn qua aantal uren zwaarder dan werken in een fabriek, zoals o.a. beschreven in FredVN in "Vietnam" Dit is trouwens één van de ondersteunde scholen.

Samengevat
De selectie voor dit project is een te grote willekeur en te subjectief. Daarnaast, met alleen een diploma van een highschool begin je hier helemaal niets. De concurrentie voor een baan is dermate groot en moordend dat je zonder extra studie of een heleboel geld geen schijn van kans hebt. Je hebt dus geld nodig voor een vervolgopleiding en voor een baan. Dat systeem zie ik niet veranderen, dat zit zo ongeveer verweven in de gehele cultuur en de genen van dit land.

De kinderen die in dit project ondersteund worden, hebben geen geld. Hadden ze dat wel, dan zaten ze niet in dit project. Geen geld is geen vervolgopleiding en geen baan. Daarom heb ik grote twijfels over het lange-termijnresultaat. Misschien dat er bij zeer hoge uitzondering toch eentje het redt doordat de familie genoeg geld bijeen kan schrapen en een baan kan kopen, die dan vaak ook nog op grote afstand van huis zal zijn. Maar dat zullen echt incidentele gevallen blijven.

Alternatieven
Mijns inziens zou je het geld op een andere manier moeten besteden zodat je
• (veel) meer kinderen bereikt
• ze ook allemaal gelijk behandeld.

Je zou bv. kunnen denken aan:
• Afhankelijk van het budget één of meerdere scholen “adopteren”.
• Voor de gehele school –afhankelijk van de behoefte- een bijdrage geven voor algemeen inzetbare middelen voor alle kinderen als bv.
o Bibliotheek
o Computers
o Geluidsinstallatie voor Engelse conversatie (al is dat voorlopig nog geen examenvak)
o Zwembad voor school en omgeving (diverse posts over geweest)
o Speciale lessen, bv. verkeer, gezondheid, seksuele voorlichting (heel hard nodig)
o Zwemles (zie de artikelen over goedkope zwembaden en het ontzettend grote aantal verdrinkingsslachtoffers)
o Schooltandarts
o Schoolreisjes
o Educatieve projecten
o Beroepskeuzeadvies voor studierichting na de highschool
o Etc., etc., etc.
• Een deal maken met de school voor het opnemen van een aantal zeer arme kinderen in ruil voor bovenstaande bijdrage.
• Voor mensen, die toch graag “contact” willen hebben met een “eigen” kind kan een soort van Plan-Nederland-achtige constructie worden gemaakt.

Bovenstaande opsomming zijn de resultaten van een kleine brainstorm-sessie. Ze zijn zeker niet uitputtend en er is ook niet gekeken naar haalbaarheid: het is tenslotte een brainstorm. Maar het ging mij met name om een andere, meer eerlijker en vooral realistischer opzet.

Voor- en nadelen
Een dergelijke veranderde aanpak heeft uiteraard voor- en nadelen.

Voordelen:
Er kunnen een aantal duidelijke en harde voordelen worden genoemd.
• Het geld komt ten goede aan alle kinderen van een gehele school
• Het geheel kan een meer projectmatige aanpak krijgen
• Het project is gemakkelijker te managen en te controleren
• Er wordt een veel grotere groep bereikt (>1000 kinderen versus ruim <100 nu (68))
• Geen mogelijk dubieuze of zelfs foutieve selectie omdat het –eigenlijk niet of nauwelijks te definiëren- begrip “armoede” niet meespeelt
• Geen –terecht- scheve ogen bij sommige kinderen en ouders, die andere kinderen, die het misschien zelfs wel “beter” hebben dan zij, allerlei bijdrages zien krijgen omdat
o ze toevallig binnen de range van 10 vallen
o de onderwijzer, die ze voorstelt, toevallig een bekende is
o het toevallig net een zooitje in huis is bij bezoek

Nadelen
Vanzelfsprekend kleven er aan dit plan ook nadelen.
• Een overgang naar een nieuwe opzet zal tijd kosten.
• Enkele zeer arme kinderen zullen geen bijdrage krijgen en dus geen schoolopleiding kunnen volgen. Maar dat geldt in de huidige situatie ook voor alle kinderen die het even rot of misschien nog slechter hebben en buiten de geselecteerde 10 per school vallen of –nog veel erger- het tweede kind in een gezin zijn.
De vraag is of dat uiteindelijk voor de toekomst van die kinderen wat uitmaakt. Op basis van de eerder genoemde argumenten denk ik van niet. Een uiterst trieste constatering maar helaas wel de harde realiteit in Vietnam.

Tot slot
Ik heb nog nooit commentaar geleverd op het project zelf, ook niet in privé-mails. Je maakt je niet bepaald populair door kritiek te leveren op “goed doen”. Daarom heeft dit artikel ook een hele tijd “op de plank gelegen”. Maar na discussies met Minh en vooral mijn eigen overtuiging volgend, weet ik gewoon: dit is het niet. Het kan beter, je kunt veel meer kinderen bereiken en het kan vooral eerlijker en objectiever.

Er loopt hier een vergelijkbaar project, dat groter is en wat bredere steun verleent. Maar in essentie geldt voor dat project wat mij betreft exact hetzelfde verhaal met exact dezelfde argumenten.

Dit voorstel aan de project-eigenaar voorleggen levert ongetwijfeld hoongelach op. En misschien ook wel terecht: het is zijn eigen project. En ik ben niet zo naïef om te denken, dat alles meteen wel even op zijn kop gezet zal worden (sterker, ik weet dat er gewoon niets zal gebeuren).

Ik hoop alleen dat het tot nadenken zal aanzetten.

Referenties
Er staan al behoorlijk wat gerelateerde posts in dit topic. Ik heb er vanaf gezien om er naar te verwijzen. Door de geïnteresseerden kan er eenvoudig op bv. “school” of “armoede” worden gezocht. Succes absoluut gegarandeerd.

Ik heb dat zelf ook nog even als test gedaan en schrok eigenlijk van het resultaat. Er blijken bij mij best wel wat dingen gewoon weggezakt, maar die nog steeds volop gelden. Zoals:
“Er ligt, zeker voor het middelbaar onderwijs, een uitgebreid curriculum. Alleen, dat is op veel punten te ambitieus en niet realistisch. Daarnaast zijn er aan de schoolkant een hoop problemen:
• het niveau van de docenten is niet altijd even hoog
• zijn hun hulpmiddelen vaak onder de maat of zijn die er domweg niet
• zijn de klassen te groot
• en is ook vaak de voor een bepaald iets in het curriculum toegewezen tijd te kort.”

Dit onderschrijft het nut van een andere opzet vrij goed.

Vraag
Dit artikel geeft mijn persoonlijke opvatting, waarin mijn achtergrond onvermijdelijk een grote rol speelt. Hopelijk maakt het wat commentaar los. Ik ben nl. heel nieuwsgierig wat men van mijn opvattingen vindt.
• Zijn die goed of fout en waarom?
• Bekijk ik het teveel vanuit de financiële kant?
• Is het te strikt logisch en zakelijk?
• Moet je domweg nooit commentaar leveren op “goed doen” zoals ik nu doe?

Opmerkingen graag met argumenten en –waar mogelijk- met alternatieven.

Ik wacht met spanning af.

Allereerst: er lijkt me niets mis met commentaar op 'goed doen'. Overal, ook in Nederland wordt verspild. Zou wat zijn als je daar niks over mocht zeggen, 'want de intenties waren tenminste nog goed' ofzo :).

Geld kun je maar 1x uitgeven en daar mag je als samenleving kritisch op zijn. In sommige landen helpt dat (soms), waar jij zit waarschijnlijk niet :+.

Het zorgen dat iedereen baat heeft bij dit soort investeringen is natuurlijk mooier. Waarom dat niet gebeurt, tja, het mes zal aan zoveel kanten snijden dat daar niet 1 antwoord op te geven is.
Dat alle oplossingsscenario's weer hun eigen uitdagingen kennen spreekt ook voor zich. Mijn gevoel gaat overigens ook uit naar jouw voorstellen, ik denk dat je op lange termijn daar meer in bereikt en heel maar dan ook heel langzaam een cultuurverandering teweeg zou kunnen brengen. Met klakkeloos geld geven aan 10 kinderen voor een basisopleiding bereik je alleen dat die 10 kinderen de basisopleiding misschien afronden maar meer ook niet.

Is dat niet een beetje het idee van ontwikkelingshulp? Je brengt ze niet het geld, maar creeert de omstandigheden waarin men zelf geld kan verdienen. (daarmee wil ik niet zeggen dat dat overal perfect gebeurt, het gaat om de gedachte)

Herrie en lawaai...

Je verzint het zelf niet.

Hoewel...

Ik heb er wel eens vaag aan gedacht om een zwaardere geluidsinstallatie te nemen om de karaoke-krijsers te overstemmen. Zeg maar het geluidsniveau van de gemiddelde bruiloft hier.

Niet echt realistisch leek me.

Tot ik afgelopen zondag tijdens een fietstochtje in de verte de doffe dreunen van bassen hoorde. “Ha, een bruiloft”, dacht ik in mijn onschuld. Bij het gebonk aangekomen bleek het een klein en behoorlijk armoedig huis te zijn, waar zo te zien een complete kudde blinde paarden nog geen schade aan zou kunnen richten. Een stuk of wat motorfietsen voor de deur waarvan de eigenaren binnen zaten en waarschijnlijk half laveloos boven de Ba Ba Ba (333) hingen.

Buiten 2 speakerboxen van ruw geschat minstens 1,20 hoog, die met een ongelofelijke vervorming stonden te dreunen. Goed voor alle kippen in de wijde omgeving om spontaan van de leg te raken.

Zoals ik al zei: je verzint het zelf niet.

Maar wat is nu eigenlijk armoede?

Schoolkinderen

Ontzettend jammer dat er maar één reactie is gekomen op mijn artikel over de schoolkinderen. Ik had gehoopt –en eerlijk gezegd ook een beetje verwacht- dat het er meer zouden zijn.

@Downunder. Bedankt voor je reactie. Het doet me goed om te zien dat je via een wat andere benadering eigenlijk op hetzelfde uitkomt.

Ik heb de project-eigenaar ook de links gestuurd. Ik vermoed dat deze –omdat ze van mij komen- ongelezen zijn verwijderd. Dit ook, omdat de werkelijk stuitende hoeveelheid onjuistheden / fouten / blunders op de site daar gewoon blijft staan. En dat is voor iemand als ik, die heeft geleerd dat informatie juist, volledig en consistent moet zijn, best wel moeilijk. En wat eigenlijk volstrekt onbegrijpelijk is, dat al deze foutieve aannames (want feiten zijn het niet) ook de basis zijn van het beleid.

Treurig.

Laatst bewerkt:
Vietnam culture ministry scraps ban on models taking nude photos

full

A controversial ruling effective since May, banning models and beauty queens in Vietnam from taking nude photos, will be nullified next year, according a recent circular by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism.

According to the circular, issued on October 19 by Minister Nguyen Ngoc Thien, models, beauty queens, and those working in the fashion and performing arts industries will no longer be restricted by an earlier fiat that forbade them from taking and disseminating nude photos.
The ministry’s previous circular, promulgated on March 24, prohibited contestants who have won titles in beauty and modeling contests from taking pictures or filming individual images without costumes, or with offensive costumes, and from accidentally or deliberately releasing them to the public.

The ban has been effective since May 15, sparking heated debate among the country’s models and legal experts alike, who said regulations on the industry were necessary but condemned a blanket ban on taking nude photos without giving a specific definition on which nude photos are ‘offensive’ and which ones are works of art.

Many opponents of the ban, most of whom are photographers, models, beauty queens and lawyers, considered the ban a violation of human rights. The new circular, which seeks to scrap the controversial ban, will take effect from January 1, 2017.

“I think it’s a civilized decision,” Miss Ethnic Vietnam 2013 Nguyen Thi Loan responded to the lifting of the ban. “I would personally be willing to take part in nude photo projects for a good cause should the occasion arise.” Loan said the ban never affected her career as she had never been a nude model before, but stressed that in many parts of the world nude photos are considered works of art and used in meaningful social campaigns with the participation of public figures to draw attention.

Nude photographer Thai Phien welcomed the lift of the ban as a foregone conclusion, as he believed nothing can stop the natural flow of the arts. “[My models] convince me to take nude photos of them so that they can capture their body at its most youthful age,” Phien said.

In FredVN in "Vietnam" kwam dit al ter sprake. Het is nu dus zeker dat het vanaf 1 januari weer is toegestaan. *O*

Ook het boek van Tha Phien is al eens besproken in FredVN in "Vietnam"

Terug
Bovenaan Onderaan