Vietnam Deel 2

Uitzicht op Dien Khanh

Hemelsbreed een kilometer of 10 van Nha Trang.
full

full

Reading in Vietnam: One page at a time

It’s widely claimed that Vietnamese read one book a year.

full

Children read books at a bookstore in Ho Chi Minh City. Photo: Tuoi Tre

Well…we know about statistics in Vietnam, hey?

The real picture is somewhat different. One article from early March pointed out the cost of buying books as one negative while another is the idea that reading is still a solitary, lonely experience. However that can change. If you regularly scan around the Vietnamese news, stories about individuals amassing private libraries on many subjects are commonplace. Retired teachers and book lovers invite strangers to come and explore their collections. And urban schools in many cities are providing mini-libraries for their kids. Recently, a Swiss company sponsored a project to create a library in southern Vietnam from a shipping container!

Book fairs are now growing in size, frequency and the variety of materials offered to readers. It’s big business. According to ‘thenewpublishingstandard.com’ website, book fairs in Southeast Asia are attracting revenues approaching some of the big book fair events in Europe. Back in mid-March, Vietnam held its biggest event, the 2018 Ho Chi Minh City Book Fair.

Second-hand bookshops are expanding in Ho Chi Minh City and there are a small but rapidly increasing number of online sellers specializing in English and other foreign language books for children.

Strangely however, there’s no Kindle VN store and an iBooks VN store in Vietnam and although many online Vietnamese book sellers use Amazon, neither Apple nor Amazon has shown much interest in developing and promoting their book markets in Southeast Asia in general. Kindles are available to buy in the major cities and are popular with foreign travelers yet I’ve rarely seen them used by locals.

One trend now is the realization by many affluent parents of the value of home-teaching and reading to their kids, thus the demand for creating home libraries is becoming popular. One advantage of this is providing access to materials that the kids don’t have at their schools, when the school is closed or the problem of traveling far to get to suitable libraries.

When I was an English teacher (I’ve recently temporarily retired!) I’d ask the typical question to late elementary and early high school kids, ‘What do you do with your free time at home?’ Surprisingly a lot of students who didn’t seem that interested in studying said they liked to ‘hide’ in their bedrooms and read. The word ‘hide’ was used a lot and I eventually discovered that they preferred time alone from the family in a quiet space with a book.

Although I can’t comment on Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi, Da Nang has a growing number of deliberately ‘quiet’ coffee shops offering books to read with an arty interior design and music to read by. Many of my older students enjoyed doing this and even invited friends to just read together. Titles include the ever-popular love novels, mystery and fantasy novels. Quite a few sell Manga-style illustrated novels yet I don’t know if they are widely sold in the Da Nang-Hoi An area.

In a little informal poll I did with some of my adult Vietnamese friends, generally better educated and with a degree of fluency in English, I asked about what they like to read. Almost everyone liked travel books and ‘get rich/how to be successful’ books. Recipe books were considered too difficult and too much effort (!) however home improvement topics were keenly read. Traditional Vietnamese was fairly unpopular but everyone pointed out that they hated the subject at school, a sentiment shared by my younger students from before.

With the growing realization by many parents to start their kids’ education early – kindergarten picture books and early elementary fun topics are in high demand and two of my Vietnamese friends in Da Nang now have side businesses selling freshly imported English and Vietnamese materials via Facebook. Good on them!

But please… why is it that I can’t buy lovely big Western bookcases around here? The local carpenters smile like sharks when I walk in the door…

So it’s all good. Contrary to what most Westerners might think, reading is growing in popularity as prices continue to fall and wider ranges of materials become available across the nation. It’s one page at a time, isn’t it?

But perhaps the nicest thing about a book is you never have to re-charge it, ever. But it will re-charge you!

TEMPLATE | HOME

De foto is heel herkenbaar. Als je een boekwinkel bezoekt moet je continu over lezende kinderen heenstappen, die meestal de doorgang volledig blokkeren. Zowel Minh als ik zijn boekfanaten. En dat probeert Minh op haar leerlingen over te brengen.

Dat het succesvol is bewijst de zeer grote animo voor onze bibliotheek. Na elke les verdringen de kinderen zich voor de dozen met boeken en snuffelen of er nieuwe aanwinsten zijn.

Daaom is uitbreiding één van de belangrijke doelen voor de opbrengst van mijn boek. Zie E-book Kleine bedrijven in Vietnam - Een kijkje van binnenuit.

full

Kerk

In FredVN in "Vietnam Deel 2" postte ik een aantal foto’s van een kerk, die werd afgebroken en maakte daarbij de opmerking: “ïk weet dus niet of de tyfoon het gebouw zo zwaar heeft beschadigd of dat de kerk om andere redenen wordt afgebroken.” Inmiddels heb ik antwoord op deze prangende vraag.

Toen ik een paar dagen geleden weer eens langs fietste was dit de situatie.

full

Tijdens het maken van deze foto kwam een priester in opleiding (seminarist?) op mij af met de bekende kreet of hij zijn Engels wat mocht oefenen. Wat overigens vrij behoorlijk was. Van hem hoorde ik dat de kerk inderdaad na de tyfoon redelijk zwaar beschadigd was en de beste oplossing was om deze te slopen. Diensten worden tijdelijk in een soort overdekte zijvleugel gehouden (wel een opname van gemaakt maar veel te donker zonder flitser). Op de plaats, waar de oude kerk heeft gestaan, gaat een nieuwe gebouwd worden.

Ik zal af en toe eens langsfietsen met mijn camera om de bouw te volgen.

Bouw

Nee, de bouw van de kerk is nog niet gestart. Dit is een ander gebouw. Wat het moet gaan worden weet ik (nog) niet: mijn Vietnamees is niet toereikend genoeg voor dergelijke ingewikkelde vragen. :(

Er ligt in ieder geval voldoende bouwmateriaal te wachten…

full

…dat door deze dame naar de bouwplaats wordt gebracht.

full

De man beneden zet de paal rechtop…

full

…waarna deze door de man boven wordt vastgetimmerd.

full

HELIOS

De ever continuing story of “Herrie En Lawaai Is Ons Streven”..

full

Goh, dit wil ik ook. Kan ik wat tegengas geven aan die krijsende karaoke-idioten of alle aso’s uit de buurt met hun zwaar vervormende herrie-installaties.

Vorige week bleek, dat je die krengen ook kunt huren. Het gegil van een paar huizen verderop ging werkelijk door merg en been.Het lijkt er overigens op dat het ding weer terug is naar de verhuurder. Het is vanuit dat huis al weer een stuk rustiger.

Bij mijn laatste bezoek aan de oogarts ben ik ook nog naar de elektronicawijk in HCM geweest voor onderdelen voor mijn weersatellietontvangststation. Ik heb meteen gekeken naar wat combinaties die ook “een beetje herrie” kunnen maken.

Ik zag een leuke –volgens het label 3500 W- combinatie voor niet eens ontzettend veel geld. Minh heeft al bij de overbuurvrouw aangegeven dat ik een lawaai-kast heb gezien en van welke soorten muziek ik hou (vertel het rond O-) ). En vanuit mijn hobby kan ik moeiteloos allerlei apparatuur en muziek aankoppelen. Kabels genoeg op voorraad en anders in no-time gesoldeerd.

Muziek? Het internet is een onuitputtelijke bron. :+

De app “4K Youtube to mp3” is al geinstalleerd en werkt voortreffelijk. Complete concerten… O-)

De bekende aso’s houden zich al een paar weken vrij rustig… O-)
(Eén vrij nieuwe is als enige nogal eigenwijs en twijfelt blijkbaar aan mijn intenties. Beter van niet! Hij is op dit moment de druppel… )

Bron: Cookies op AD.nl | AD.nl

Vrachtvervoer

Ik loop al heel lang met het plan rond om wat foto’s te maken van gigantisch overbeladen motorfietsen. Ik kwam toevallig deze tegen toen ik foto’s van de bouw van eergisteren maakte. Het is nog niet extreem, maar in ieder geval een leuk begin. Toch?

full

full

Chopstick removed from Vietnamese man’s penis

Some friend of his mischievously put the object into the organ when he was heavily drunk By Thai Xuan / Tuoi Tre News

full

The chopstick found in N.V.D.’s penis is seen in this photo provided by the Saigon-Dong Nai ITO Hospital in Dong Nai Province, Vietnam.

A small stick over ten centimeters long has been removed from a Vietnamese man’s penis after staying in it for a day, a doctor at an infirmary said on Tuesday.

N.V.D., residing in Dong Nai Province, was taken to the local Saigon-Dong Nai ITO Hospital having difficulty urinating and suffering pain in the sexual organ. A doctor found inside the 42-year-old’s urethra – a tube carrying liquid waste out of the body – a foreign object lying about three centimeters from the urethra opening. The object was not detected in X-ray scanning, prompting the professional to surmise it was not metal.

It peeked through the opening at a slight push of the doctor, who then took it out completely.
The object was a chopstick from six to seven millimeters in diameter, according to Tran Phuong, a doctor at the hospital. The man’s urination returned to normal and he was discharged the same day.

According to Phuong, the patient said that one of the friends having a drink with him on April 16 had put the chopstick into his body for fun while he was blind drunk after the carouse.
One day later he visited the hospital for an examination after feeling problems in the penis.

Bron: TEMPLATE | HOME

Dus wie vanavond gaat stappen: niet al te dronken worden… O-)

Laatst bewerkt:
Vietnamese conquers North Pole Marathon in -32 degrees Celsius

She is the first Vietnamese woman to conquer the most rigorous marathon in the world By Ha My / Tuoi Tre News Contributor

full

Tang Nguyet Minh proudly raises Vietnam’s flag at the North Pole Marathon.

Tang Nguyet Minh succeeded in finishing the ferocious 42-kilometer North Pole Marathon on April 16, making her the first Vietnamese woman to reach the finish line. However, as with most feats, the grueling event was not a walk in the park.

Over a 36-hour period, Minh went without sleep as she hurriedly boarded a plane from Norway to the North Pole, touched down in the freezing arctic tundra, and began the marathon at 11:00 pm. Ten hours later, she reached her goal, crossing the finish line at 9:00 am the following day and looking forward to a long nap.

full

Tang Nguyet Minh trains in Norway before participating in the competition at the North Pole

Minh’s major obstacle was adjusting her body from Vietnam’s tropical climate to the North Pole’s frigid temperatures. While functioning in -10 degrees Celsius was difficult enough for the runner, slugging through the cold weather after the thermometer dropped below -20 made breathing a serious challenge. “Because of the extreme cold my nasal mucosa [nasal lining] kept breaking, causing my nose to bleed,” the young athlete said.

full

Tang Nguyet Minh proudly shows off her bib at the North Pole Marathon.

“The winds were so cold that just smiling hurt my teeth, not to mention the fatigue caused by light reflected off the snow and the pain in my ears caused by the weather. “There are many obstacles that anyone running here must rise above.” Nonetheless, Minh’s optimistic attitude helped keep the mindset that the special opportunity to run in the North Pole was similar to other marathons in that it would not be easily accomplished.

full

Tang Nguyet Minh at the North Pole Marathon

“This is my fourth marathon in seven months and I am going to do my best to reach the finish line,” the passionate athlete said. From Minh’s point of view, marathons are a representation of life, only able to be finished if one continues to push themselves.

full

There were times when Tang Nguyet Minh was exhausted, discouraged, and hurting. She sometimes thought about giving up.

After finishing the race, the young Vietnamese proudly raised her country’s flag alongside those from other nations represented at the event. Minh’s participation in the marathon was sponsored by FWD Life Insurance Corporation, which used the event as a platform to raise funds for supporting and empowering women in need.

full

Tang Nguyet Minh overcame herself and broke through all limitations to reach the finish line.

“Thank you all for the over 2,087 ‘yes’ comments, which raised VND100 million [US$4,395] just in six days,” she said of the support for her cause. “All of you have provided me with more energy so that I could become the first Vietnamese woman to conquer the North Pole marathon.

full

An emotional outburst with the nine other participants on the FWD team

“FWD and I will directly present VND100 million we raised to women in need right after returning from the North Pole. Your small action served a great cause.”

This is the second consecutive year that FWD Life Insurance Corporation has sponsored this event in order to encourage people to overcome obstacles in life, follow their passion, and break through their own limits to live life to the fullest.

Na de eerdere aankondiging in FredVN in "Vietnam Deel 2" was ik nieuwsgierig naar de uitslag dus heb ik een email aan de website gestuurd. Geen antwoord, maar gisteren stond dit artikel op de site. Wat lang, maar voor een keertje...

Diep, diep respect voor deze prestatie.

Laatst bewerkt:
Kwak (1)…

…en Kwik, Kwek, Donald en nog veel meer neefjes en nichtjes.

Ik heb in FredVN in "Vietnam Deel 2" dit fenomeen al eerder besproken. Dit is een andere plaats met een andere man.

De sloot is geblokkeerd waardoor het water over het rijstveld stroomt.

full

Dat is hier wat duidelijker te zien..Rechts in de sloot zijn nog een paar deserteurs te zien.

full

Toen ik de man er op wees –hij zat rustig onder zijn afdakje te roken- stond hij op en liep over het pad tot achter de eenden. Vervolgens over de rand van de sloot naar de eenden, die hem fladderend voor probeerde te blijven. Bij de blokkade konden ze niet verder en werden ze vakkundig in hun nekvel gegrepen en over het net weer bij hun familie gedeponeerd.

full

Kwak (2)…

Een stukje verderop lag een stapel zakken met voer voor de eenden, speciaal voor het leggen van eieren.

full

Hier een blik op de inhoud…

full

…en hier is de grootte van de korrels goed te zien.

full

Rij”techniek”

De alom bekende –behalve uiteraard hier- motortechniek “waar je naar daar kijkt rijd je naar toe” wordt hier heel vaak in de praktijk gebracht. Zoals velen, die hier rijden of gereden hebben, heb ook ik daar meerdere staaltjes van mee mogen maken.

Voor mij de engste was toen ik bij Minh achterop naar de shoot voor de betonnen meubelen ging. De camera-uitrusting in een rugzak. Minh stopte aan de overkant voor de deur aan de kant van de weg en keekt of ze over kon steken. Ik was afgestapt en stond achter de motor te wachten. In dezelfde rijrichting kwam een wat oudere man op de scooter met zijn vrouw achterop. Ik zag hem strak naar mij kijken (waarom???) en dus recht op mij af komen. Ik ging al iets naar de zijkant om zo nodig de berm in te springen. De man schrok daar blijkbaar van dat hij uit alle macht begon te remmen en slippend en slingerend Minh en haar motor nog maar net aan de goede kant kon passeren.

De vrouw zat hevig verontwaardigd achterop naar mijn opgestoken middelvinger te gebaren. Snapte er dus nog minder van dan haar man.

Vanuit een rijdende auto ergens in Hanoi.
Zoveel man tegelijk is zelfs voor Hanoi uniek. Wel fijn te zien dat pa en ma aan hun veiligheid denken (helm).
full

Rond deze tijd vindt ook de dagelijkse back-up plaats. Die zit mij ook regelmatig in de weg en je weet nooit of iets al geplaatst is. Van mij zou die een uur of 2 naar voren mogen.

Brug (2)

De foto’s vanaf de overkant zijn al eerder geplaatst in “FredVN in "Vietnam Deel 2" “. Nieuwsgierig of er al wat aan gedaan was deed me besluiten om een stukje om te rijden en aan de andere kant te gaan kijken. En nee, zoals verwacht, nog steeds dezelfde puinhoop.

full

full

Op de satellietbeelden is zo te zien de brug ook weg.

full

Saigon pedestrian street loses charm over illegal street vendors

A sea of street vendors defying the ban to besiege visitors at Nguyen Hue Pedestrian Street in Ho Chi Minh City has turned the southern metropolis’ new destination into a rowdy venue. By Bao Anh / Tuoi Tre News

full

A row of street food trolleys is seen on Nguyen Hue Pedestrian Street in Ho Chi Minh City on April 29, 2018. Photo: Tuoi Tre

The Nguyen Hue Pedestrian Street, located in the heart of District 1, officially became the city’s first-ever promenade in April 2015. Shortly after its opening, the pedestrian street has been the iconic hang-out spot for both locals and tourists in the southern metropolis, attracting many people every night and getting even more crowded on the weekend. And the more bustling it is, the more street hawkers gather in this place to sell street food, despite prohibition from authorities.

full

While Nguyen Hue was originally meant to serve as a venue for pedestrians and other public activities, illegal street vendors have occupied the street for their business, leaving an ugly image of the promenade in the eyes of tourists. Equipped with versatile tools, it is quite easy for the peddlers to leave the venue whenever law enforcement officers come, and return later when they are gone. This ‘hide and seek’ situation can recur multiple times every evening.

Law enforcement officers acknowledge all the tricks but still fail to resolve the problem. Whether those peddlers follow food safety and hygiene practice is also a headache for regulators.

full

As observed by Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper reporters on one evening in late April, the pedestrian street was packed with dozens of trolleys, selling food, drinks and children's toys. An anniversary event was taking place at the other end of the street, near the Ho Chi Minh City Hall, with the presence of urban management and police officers, but none of them seemed to care about the illegal peddlers. “The top favorite spot of Ho Chi Minh City looks no different than an afternoon market,” one local complained.

Het echte artikel bevat teveel foto’s (ca. 15) om hiert allemaal te plaatsen. Wie wil zien hoe het er in HCM ’s avonds op straat uitziet moet even hierboven op de link klikken.

Bouw (3)

Op dit moment wordt er heel veel gebouwd in de omgeving. Veel woonhuizen maar ook andersoortige gebouwen. Hetzelfde als voor het gebouw van gisteren: geen flauw idee wat dit moet worden. Maar ze lijken wel op elkaar, dus iets van een bedrijfsgebouw?

full

Dames

Terwijl ik bezig was met het maken van een landschapsfoto, riepen deze dames naar me. Dat was eigenlijk iets te laat, dus instellen en goed scherpstellen lukte niet meer. Niettemin…

full

Watertoren

Er zit best wel een lange tijd tussen deze foto’s. Zo begon het.De opname is van 1-4-17.

full

De volgende is van 6-7-17.

full

Maar ok, het lijkt nu wat op te schieten. Deze is van een paar dagen geleden. Alleen, zou hij blijven staan als ze al die palen weghalen? Hij lijkt me nogal topzwaar… :+

full

Terug
Bovenaan Onderaan