Vietnam Deel 2

Among many noodle dishes in Saigon, ‘bun rieu’ exactly is what the doctor ordered

This special noodle comes in numerous varieties, but has a unique flavor unmatched by other dishes

full

A bowl of bun rieu sold at VND22,000 on Nguyen Van Dau Street, Binh Thanh District. Photo: Tien Bui

What magical combination can possibly come from crabs, pig’s blood, fresh tofu, raw tomatoes, vermicelli, and herbs? It is bun rieu, a noodle dish so popular in Vietnam.

Bun rieu comes with four typical additions: cua (crab), tom (prawn), oc (snail), and ca (fish).
All varieties have some things in common: the vermicelli noodles, the fine broth, the toppings and the core protein ingredient. The slender stripes of noodles for bun rieu are special and unique. They are not the rectangular sticky type found in pho (Vietnamese beef noodle soup), and not as wide as those found in Hue beef noodle soup.

full

A serving of bun rieu at Bun Rieu Ganh, with shrimp paste, tamarind and chilli in a separate plate, taken on January 23, 2018. Photo: Tien Bui

Bun rieu’s vermicelli noodles are slender yet elastic, and do not expand when exposed to heated soup. The fresh red broth owes its vibrancy and flavor to annatto oil, tomatoes, tamarind and sometimes cashew seeds. The broth is particularly clear and translucent when compared with some other Vietnamese noodle dishes.

Toppings include tofu in either small crunchy fried pieces or longer slices, tomatoes cut in halves or quarters, and pig’s blood! The congealed pig’s blood is not in liquid form, but is finely cut into dark brown cubes. This special ingredient complements the dish perfectly, and has a very similar texture to jelly!

full

A clotted blood cube in bun rieu, dark in color and a jelly-like consistency. Photo: Tien Bui

Bun rieu cua features ground freshwater crabmeat which remains firm in the soup but gently dissolves in the mouth seconds after contact. If handled with clumsy chopstick skills, the crabmeat can disintegrate and blend in with the broth. This should not be a concern, as the delicious combination of crabmeat and noodles offers a tasty dining experience.

In comparison, bun rieu oc contains snails floating within the broth, ready to be gobbled up by chopsticks. Whatever the variety, the sweetness of the broth is intensified by the aromatic (or stinky – depending on the diner's sense of smell) shrimp paste and sourness strengthened by the spicy chopped chili.

full

The broth at Bun Rieu Ganh with tofu, crabmeat, tomatoes and many other ingredients, taken on January 23, 2018. Photo: Tien Bui

Light, low-priced and sentimental
Bun rieu first appeared in Hanoi, and then slowly made it to the south of the country, with the taste and ingredients transforming during the journey. In Saigon, bun rieu is normally associated with the average laborer, as it is a best-selling street food. However, some larger restaurants have begun to incorporate this special dish in their menu.

Cheaper than pho, and easier to digest than sticky rice, bun rieu has continually been a favorite choice for the breakfast of Saigonese people. Street-side is the perfect place to enjoy the delicacy, with many locations found in all parts of town. The price point of bun rieu is extremely low considering the astronomical cost of living in this prosperous city.

Auntie Sang (pronounced dzi sang in Vietnamese) has been making the best bun rieu in her area for almost 60 years.

full

A huge container of bun rieu broth made by Auntie Sang. Photo: Tien Bui

Her tiny makeshift place can be found at 132 Cao Thang, Phu Nhuan District, next to a church at the end of an open market. “It is more comfortable to come here at around 11:00 am, as the morning times are quite busy with too many customers and the police forces cracking down on us,” she humorously remarked.

Her location is often referred to as ‘bun rieu on the go,' because she actually violates pavement regulations and eaters have to park illegally too. “I charge only VND15,000 [66 U.S. cents] a bowl because the poor manual laborers around here really don’t have a penny to their name,” she said, explaining her staggeringly low price. One word of caution, however, this portion will not fill the stomach for those seeking a hearty breakfast.

Places like hers and many other street peddlers with low plastic tables and stools can be a tad grimy, but that is the local way of life. For those more concerned with hygienic standards, Bun Rieu Ganh at 4 Phan Boi Chau Street, opposite Ben Thanh Market in District 1, is the preferable option.

full

The chef at Bun Rieu Ganh by her colorful workplace, taken on January 23, 2018. Photo: Tien Bui

The price is much higher at VND50,000 ($2.20)/bowl, but is absolutely reasonable considering the location, quality and cleanliness. The owner even offers delivery services around town.

This simple noodle dish has touched the hearts of many Saigonese, and can be considered similar to a childhood memory; unfading despite the harshness of time.

Do Thi Huynh Hoa, a contributor to Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper, spoke of the snail-based bun rieu oc sold by a street hawker on the corner of Le Thanh Ton-Nguyen Trung Truc in District 1: “My friend [a Vietnamese expat living abroad] has dreams about the chubby fried snails with the fat so tempting, the palm-sized clotted blood cubes, and the tender slices of tofu.”

Indeed, many have agreed that bun rieu brings about a sense of nostalgia for Saigon, a metropolis rich with sentimental souls.

Bron: TEMPLATE | HOME

Fotoboek: Kleine bedrijven in Vietnam, een kijkje van binnenuit

Sinds begin 2011 woon ik, Fred van den Bosch, in Vietnam ergens in the middle of nowhere in de omgeving van Nha Trang. Het afgelopen jaar heb ik veel tijd gestoken in een project, waarbij ik kleine bedrijven uit de wijde omgeving heb gefotografeerd en beschreven. Van de foto’s en omschrijvingen van de dagelijkse werkzaamheden van de bedrijfseigenaren heb ik een e-book gemaakt.

Het grote probleem hier op het platteland is, dat er vrijwel geen werk is. De meesten verbouwen rijst. Echter zijn er maar een aantal periodes van het jaar, waarin er geoogst kan worden, dus zoeken mensen een bijverdienste. En hebben daarbij nauwelijks keus.

Sommigen gaan in een fabriek in de buurt werken om garnalen te pellen. Anderen hebben een eigen bedrijfje, meestal aan huis, soms elders, bv. op een markt. Bijna altijd kleinschalig: alleen de eigenaar en soms een enkele helper. Enkelen werken op het land of verrichten wat meer specifieke werkzaamheden. Vaak kan men zo wat gemakkelijker verschillende werkzaamheden combineren. Nadeel is dat het praktisch niets oplevert.

Het e-book geeft een goede indruk van het leven en vooral van het werken hier op het Vietnamese platteland:
• het fysiek harde werken
• de zeer lange dagen die sommigen maken
• de vaak schamele verdiensten
• en de hoeveelheid werk die kinderen moeten verrichten naast hun normale schoolactiviteiten.

Het e-book "Kleine bedrijven in Vietnam" beslaat meer dan 300 pagina's.

Ik vraag voor dit pdf-boek een bescheiden bedrag. De opbrengst wordt o.a. gestoken in een aantal projecten waar we voor de kinderen uit de omgeving mee bezig zijn. Zie daarvoor onderstaande website.

Meer over het boek, de auteur, de opbrengstdoelen en de wijze van bestellen is te vinden op de website van mijn dochter: E-book Kleine bedrijven in Vietnam - Een kijkje van binnenuit. Dit omdat zij al over de volledige infrastructuur voor verkopen beschikt. Hier kan ook een gratis demoversie worden gedownload met onder meer de volledige inhoudsopgave. De gehele website en infrastructuur zijn door mijn kleinzoon gemaakt.

full

Laatst bewerkt:
Ik krijg een time-out als de link probeer. Dan morgen maar eens op een andere computer met latere versie van Windows proberen.

Is de bergbuurt de oude en de componistenbuurt de nieuwe locatie :?

Laatst bewerkt:
Fred,

Besteld en wel! Weer wat te lezen.;-)
FYI: Ik wordt na het bestellen niet meer teruggeleid naar de winkel..

Vietnamese girls with the need for speed

Naast de illegale straatraces van gisteren kan er hier ook op circuits worden geraced.

Female racers stand out at racing circuits in Ho Chi Minh City and its neighbor Binh Duong Province, Viet Hung / Tuoi Tre News Contributor

full

Nguyen Thi Thanh Thuy (left) and Luu Thi Thu Trang (right) in a training session. Photo: Tuoi Tre

The motorbike racing competition GP Feel the Speed 2018 saw the appearance of eight female racers. They were faced with around 200 male competitors at the event that took place at Phu Tho Indoor Sports Stadium in District 11, Ho Chi Minh City earlier this February.

The most experienced of the eight girls was Luu Thi Thu Trang. The 27-year-old racer has been in the field for about four years and has become a real competitor at every event she took apart in. "I trained by myself, not in any professional class," Trang said. "Sometimes I was given a few tips. I turned out either the winner or the runner-up at events, so I stuck to it."

full

Nguyen Thi Thanh Thuy (left) and Luu Thi Thu Trang (right) on motorbikes. Photo: Tuoi Tre

Growing up in Dak Lak Province in the Central Highlands, Trang used to teach kids roller skate when she lived in Binh Duong Province. "Both roller skating and motor racing require flexibility, speed and endurance. I suffer injuries almost in every racing session, but they were minor and normal," she said.

Trang also mentioned two memorable accidents that took place over two years ago.
Both were severe with the motorbikes severely broken, but just scratched the racer here and there. Trang is now an established tailor with a shop of her own, the one that helped her invest in two racing motorbikes and accessories. But Trang said that racing is just a hobby for her as the money earned from each event is not enough to buy a pair of shoes.

Having in motorcycle racing for less than a year, Nguyen Thi Thanh Thuy has less experience than Trang for sure, but has won high prizes at various competitions. "I never picked up a sport," said Thuy. "But I love racing motorbikes. I became familiar with them thanks to my friend and decided to join for fun."

Thuy is now in a group of racers instructed by Japanese coaches. "They have taught me a lot. I have never trained that hard. But this is a chance for me to challenge myself." But there was one difficulty for the 24-year-old. "My mom cried when she heard that I wanted to race. She cried many times."

"I had to ensure her that I only race in circuits, not on the streets. I even had to hide her my injuries."

Bron: TEMPLATE | HOME

Wie de dames ook in actie wil zien (erhh, dat neem ik tenminste aan) moet even op de site het filmpje bekijken.

Ik krijg een time-out als de link probeer. Dan morgen maar eens op een andere computer met latere versie van Windows proberen.

Is de bergbuurt de oude en de componistenbuurt de nieuwe locatie :?
Afgelopen maandag bij de laatste aanpassingen was er ook een storing bij de provider. Misschien nu weer.

Klopt, hoewel de oude locatie er op dit moment ook nog is.

Karatelessen (1)
=============
Twee van Minh’s leerlingen voor Engels, de zussen Tam en Ngoc, zitten al ruim drie jaar op karate en zijn gevorderd tot de bruine band. De lessen worden gegeven door Thái Gia Bảo, een derde dan karateka en vinden plaats op de binnenplaats bij een gebouw van de People Committee. De kosten bedragen VND 300.000 voor 3 maanden waarbij 3 avonden per week les wordt gegeven. De jongere kinderen worden door de ouders gebracht.

full

full

Er worden matten op de vloer gelegd…

full

…en met vereende krachten op de juiste plaats geduwd.

full

Een aantal voerde alvast een ontspannen warming-up uit.

full

Geen probleem! (kon ook aan mij liggen uiteraard..)

Ben al lekker aan het lezen geslagen, voor een stadsmensch zoals ik erg leerzaam! ;-)
Leuk om sommige foto's terug te zien.

Ik heb alleen wel de auteursrechten van je geschonden door het bestand te kopiëren van mijn nas naar mijn tablet.... sorry ! ;-)

Karatelessen (2)

Zoals hier Tam (links) en Ngoc (rechts).

full

Daarna werd er onder leiding van één van de zwarte-banders een gezamenlijke warming-up gedaan.

full

full

full

De zeer lenige dame op de voorgrond is een nationaal kampioene.

Een deel van de groep ging aan de kant van de mat zitten. Aan de ene kant de lager gegradueerden…

full

@Badgast
Ik ben ook een geboren stadsmens en heb heel veel ervan geleerd. De mensen werden soms gek van mij: ik bleef vragen stellen (ook een vakafwijking uit mijn vroegere beroep). En dat is men in Vietnam niet echt gewend.Maar bijna allemaal gingen ze uitgebreid op mijn vragen in. Misschien juist omdat er iemand interesse toonde.

Auteursrechten: schande! O-)
Zo werk ik zelf ook. Mijn iPad is ooit primair gekocht als kleuren-ebook-reader.

Karatelessen (3)

…aan de andere kant de hogere banden.

full

Voor deze fotoshoot was een speciaal programma in elkaar gezet met oefeningen en wat verschillende soorten gevechten.

Allereerst wat demonstratiegevechten.

full

full

full

Nog even op mijn verzoek een demo van de nationale kampioene.

full

Karatelessen (4)

Daarna ging het er wat harder aan toe.

full

full

Na deze rake schop liep Ngoc toch even een beetje pijnlijk kijkend rond. Het was dan ook niet helemaal “eerlijk”, haar tegenstandster heeft de zwarte band.
full

Ngoc was al weer snel bij de les. Hier heeft ze al twee tegenstanders neergelegd…
full

…en nummer drie wordt ook op de stapel gelegd.
full

Laatst bewerkt:
Karatelessen (5)

Ook Tam laat zich niet onbetuigd en sloopt volstrekt onaangedaan haar tegenstander die dat, gezien zijn gezicht, niet echt leuk vindt.

full

Wat mij betreft de mooiste actie van de avond. De jongen deed een aanval met een mes die door Ngoc werd afgeweerd en afgemaakt, door de aanvaller een salto te laten maken. Dit ging allemaal zo snel dat hij al lag voordat ik het besefte. Op mijn verzoek hebben ze speciaal voor de foto dit nog een paar keer gedaan tot ik een behoorlijke foto had. Zoals te zien had Ngoc er echt lol in.

full

Dit gevecht was meer in balans: beide dames hebben de zwarte band.

full

Daarna werden nog een aantal gezamenlijke oefeningen gedaan.

Foto Karate 24
full

Met tot slot een foto van de gehele groep van die avond.

full

Noedels Bún (1)

Ieder bedrijf heeft een eigen naam. Deze heet Lò Bún Hồng Hưng.
Lò = oven
Bún = het product dat wordt gemaakt
Hồng Hưng = de naam van de eigenaar.
Hier wordt dus, zoals de naam al zegt, Bún gemaakt: een soort dikke noedel. Bún wordt gebruikt voor verschillende soorten noedelsoep in Vietnam, zoals Bún bò Huế, bún cá Nha Trang.

full

Ze beginnen ’s nachts om 12:00 en gaan door tot ca. 10 – 11 uur in de morgen, afhankelijk van de vraag. We waren net op tijd: ze stonden op het punt om er voor die dag mee te stoppen. Maar ze zijn voor de foto’s nog heel even doorgegaan.

De rijst wordt een halve dag onder water gezet…

full

full

… en tot poeder gemalen.

full

Noedels Bún (2)

Het poeder wordt weer gemengd met water…

full

…waarna het water weer wordt verwijderd zodat het poeder overblijft.

full

full

Het rijstpoeder wordt gemengd met water…

full

Noedels Bún (3)

…en gaat via deze spuitmond de machine in…

full

…waar het aan de andere kant stomend en dampend weer uit komt.

full

De noedels komen in een bak met water terecht, van waaruit ze in kleine mandjes worden gedaan om uit te lekken.

full

Tot slot wordt een afgemeten hoeveelheid in plastic zakken gedaan om te worden verkocht.

full

Terug
Bovenaan Onderaan