Buying a used or new motorcycle

Status
Niet open voor verdere reacties.
24 apr 2019
Hello everyone,

From the very beginning I want you to know that I don't speak Dutch but I can use translate. If this is not allowed, I'm sorry and probably the topic will get deleted. If it is allowed and you want to answer me here, google can help me with translation if I will get replays in Dutch.

Now for my problem. I recently moved to the Netherlands and I want to buy a motorcycle. I visited 2 dealers and I found that in my price range I can get a new Ninja 400 which will be fun, I'm sure of that, but besides this motorcycle, that I do like, I also like the MT 07 which is kind of close to the same price, only used.
What I really want to know is your experience with buying used motorcycles here because I can't find many that are close to me and they don't usually have any kind of maintenance history. Also, what should I check in the paper work, what is the regulation for an aftermarket exhaust( I do know that an 'E' number is required), things like that. I think that I can manage the technical part, youtube is full of advises but of course more are welcomed.
I am a little bit skeptic about buying a new one because I don't know how I want to like it in 1 year, I only driven an ER-6n which was at school, an ER5 and FZ6 S2 (for 2 weeks) or which I was kind of scared and decided that I want 2 cylinders for now.

Thanks you!

buying 2nd hand is basicaly a crappshoot.
the only thing importent about the paperwork is that the frame number on the motorcycle is the same as on the papers without either being tampered with. manuals are nice to have (or you can download them mostly if the don't come with the bike). maintenance records are to easy to forge or leave out things that don't look good voor the sale. so most people don't care. the real technical state is of a mutch higher value for judging a 2nd hand bike.
aftermarket exhausts are legal and don't need an E-number in NL but they do need to meet noise regulations to stay legal. an e-number can help in Germany because of there local law but for dutch regestered bikes it isn't required but not all lawenforcement officers in Germany are fermiliar with foren laws.
when buying 2nd hand you are required by law to investigate the technical state of the bike before you buy or a lot of legal protection goes out the window. if you find things that need fixing put it on paper and check it again before leaving with the bike if it was realy fixed. once you have driven off with our "new" purchace you are responsible for the defects exept when you have agreed upon a warrenty before buying or if it is in the salescontract and you can show it hasn't been done. If you do purchace with a warrenty read it befor buying the bike. not all warrenties are equal and some exculued a fare bit and aren't woth the paper they are printed on.
and the worst thing to be when shopping for a "new" bike is being in a hurry. you will tend to overpay and miss or exept a lot off defects. if you take more time you can wait for a mutch better deal on a better or closer bike.

when buying 2nd hand you are required by law to investigate the technical state of the bike before you buy
by this, are you referring to a technical investigation done by me or a professional?
I'm not in a hurry, I have been looking for almost 3 weeks now but very few new ads are pop-ing up and what I can see is that the majority of them are from dealers, not private parties selling their bikes.

You, as the purchaser, are required to check the bike and its condition. This doesn't require a professional, but in case you don't have any experience checking a bike it might be wise to have a professional check it for you. You might also get lucky and find a forum member in the neighbourhood that wants to help.

Have you tried places like markplaats and speurders when looking for a bike? These websites usually have a number of private parties selling their bikes.

by you if you have enough technical expertese or sombody who can do it on your behave (professional not required althouw in many casses prefurreble). It isn't a problem if you don't do it but if you find defects after you bought it you will be on the hook for the costs of fixing them. there will be no going back to the seller by any legal means to force them to fix it or undo the deal eccept when you can prove defects were intentionaly hidden from you. and proving that in a court off law is almost impossible.

Ok, of course I'll check the technical state of the bike, I can't buy it just like that. As for places that I tried, markplaats, autoscout24 and motorocassion are some of them. Now that you mentioned Speurders, I'll have a look at that too. I also check daily this forum Trading thread.

Now as for paperwork, if it decided that I'll buy a bike, what is the process there? Do I pay and then follow the steps on the RDW website(get some papers with me from the seller and go to an of office (I think that I can do the plates transfer online if I have Dutch driving license, is this right?)

I guess you need a Dutch adress and a drivers license. The plates stay on the vehicle, you can change ownership at almost any PostNL servicepoint and it will set you back about €10. You can get a warranty when you buy at a dealership or trading company when you negotiate your price.

basically you buy the bike (ore agree too) and than the registration has to be put in your name. if you buy at a dealer they can do this for you at there office or workshop on the spot. if you buy from a private seller take there registration to RDW servicepoint (mostly lokal shops) and they can tranver the registration into your name for you. as proof of the change you will get a "vrijwaring" that you give back to the seller so he is not resposible for the registration anymore (and the fine's and insurance) and in a few day's you will get the official registration card in your mailbox. if hou have the correct phone (android with NFC) and the DigiDapp and a resent means of dutch identification (ID card, passport or driverslicens) you don't have to go to the store but can do it online.
and you will have to get insurance for it befor you buy it because fine's for not having insurens for your bike are automated in NL and they will start piling on your doormat soon.

I guess you need a Dutch adress and a drivers license. The plates stay on the vehicle, you can change ownership at almost any PostNL servicepoint and it will set you back about €10. You can get a warranty when you buy at a dealership or trading company when you negotiate your price.
You are right. I searched a little bit more on the RDW website and you need a driver license and DigiD account in order to do the transfer online. Also the fee amount is right.

Regarding the dealership warranty, I think it is not as good as manufacturer one but now it depends on the dealer and his willingness to fix something that breaks.
I think that I have most of my questions answered regarding the paperwork.
As a little bit of side discussion, anyone here had both bikes or any of them and can share an opinion? This will be my first actual bike and I will use it mostly for commuting, around 30 km each way with some highway, but I would also like to take it on some weekends run, maybe further away to have few mountain roads.
I don't know about track days, I haven't got a chance to read about this yet (how often are they organised, how many schools can teach track riding, costs, etc.)

There is nothing really special about purchasing a bike in NL compared to anywhere imho.

If you buy one second hand, you will want to check if it is technically okay, and you will probably have to take care of some neglected maintenance. Who bears what costs is mainly a bargaining item, and Dutch law is not neessarily clear on this; you (as a buyer) are supposed to assess the technical condition before you buy, while at the same time the bike is supposed to do what can be expected from it, which largely depends on age/mileage and the price you pay. This is not an issue as long as you are happy with the price you pay, nor is it very unique for NL.
If you buy a brand new bike, it will come with manufacturer warranty. This is not a guarantee that it will be without problems, but normally it will, and if problems were to occur they will normally be fixed at no charge.

If you buy a bike at a dealer, the dealer will change title to it into your name, otherwise you will need to pay a visit to a PostNL servicepoint. Tax liability (for ownership) will transfer to you automatically when title changes - the Dutch like tax, so it seems - and you will need to have arranged for insurance before title to the bike changes into your name.

Good luck with finding mountains in NL ... we usually visit Germany for that (hills, not mountains), or the Alps (Italy, Switzerland, France), which I personally think is better.

For education re. riding skills, have a look here (random choice, and you will need to have your browser translate it for you): Race academy, KNMV opleidingen

Good luck with finding mountains in NL ... we usually visit Germany for that (hills, not mountains), or the Alps (Italy, Switzerland, France), which I personally think is better.
Of course I was talking about going to some neighbour country for some twisted roads.

Thank you for describing the usual process for both approaches.

Hello! Can anyone tell me if there is the kW of a motorcycle stated on the card or is there a way that I can verify it? (Plates or VIN) I checked the plates on RDW website but I didn't find anything about this

Most motorcycles show iT clearly, Go to technisch and milieuprestaties

You can actually check it on the RDW site. https://ovi.rdw.nl After entering the licence plate number, go to the second tab 'Motor & milieu'. It should state the vehicle's registered kW under 'P.2 Nettomaximumvermogen'.

EDIT: Whup, too slow.

Hello guys! So I managed to buy a motorcycle after all and transfer it to my name. Thank you all for your time and answers to my questions. I think this might be canceled now.

Thanks! It is new to me :).
One thing that I forget to mention is that people trying to do the same will need a BRP if they don't have a Dutch ID or Driving license, the BRP should state BSN and a Residency Address not Letter Address (Briefadres - in Dutch) and also you will need to go to a RDW office and not PostNL office

Status
Niet open voor verdere reacties.
Terug
Bovenaan Onderaan