Hey guys!

MacAddy

Rookie
12 jul 2017
Hello guys!

Sorry my Dutch is terrible (I really should learn :) ) so I will do this in English. I moved here to Utrecht about a year and half ago from California with the intention of buying a bike but haven't really had the chance to until now. I rode an SV650 for two years back in the states before moving here so I'm not entirely new but I'm definitely new to riding with this Dutch weather.

I just wanted to ask if you guys have any advice on riding here (specific rules/rain/winter riding), and the process of buying a bike. I transferred my license over here so I can technically ride anything but I've been looking at smaller bikes like the ER6f and Street triple (don't want to get too many of those expensive tickets :) ). When I do buy a bike do I need insurance right away or how does that work? Also any favorite gear stores nearby Utrecht?

Cheers!

Hey, welcome. I can imagine that must have been a hell of a change in weather type if you moved here from California. But the temperate climate in the Netherlands does have its advantages too.

I guess the rules are pretty much the same in the Netherlands as they are in the US. We do not have the 'keep your lane' principle though here on the roads. So you are not allowed to overtake someone on the right like in the US and you could get fined for that here. Another difference is that you are allowed to lane filter on a motorcycle during a traffic jam but I think that was also allowed in Cal already right as one of the first states? Turning right on an intersection is also not allowed here if the light is red.

Try to adhere to all the traffic rules and speed limits because the fines here are a lot higher compared to those in the US and you can lose your license if they think you are a danger to yourself or other drivers, or if you are speeding over 50km/h.

Make sure your motorcycle is always in good condition and wear protective gear all the time especially during the rainy and winter days.

When buying a vehicle you just need to change the ownership of the vehicle to your name at any post office in the country. You'll receive a ownership card by mail unless you purchase the motorcycle at a dealer, they usually can put the motorcycle on your name at the dealership.

The motorcycle has to be directly insured once its your property, if not, you could also get automatically fined for that. So make sure everything regarding to the insurance is covered when buying a motorcycle. You can just call an insurance company by phone and they can then directly give you the insurance you need on the spot.

And your question about gear stores near Utrecht, I guess Goedhart Motoren has the largest assortment of motorcycle garments in the vicinity with 'ok' prices. http://www.goedhartmotoren.nl/

If you have any other questions feel free to ask them here! :)

Laatst bewerkt:
Awesome thanks for the help guys! The right turn on red is definitely something I'll have to remember :)

For winter time, do you guys tough it out and ride through the winter or do you store it somewhere? Since I live in the middle of the city I don't really have covered parking so I was planning on leaving my bike out and locking it to something with a cover on.

Also how much do you guys pay for insurance? I'm 26 so hoping insurance isn't too expensive....

Haha, yea, keep that in mind. It will keep your nose at the same place where it always has been!

I ride through the winters, except when there is snow or ice on the road. Most Dutch riders don't ride in winters (only with good weather anyways) and just put it somewhere indoor. If you aren't planning on riding during the winter-months some insurances also have the option to put a stop on the insurance. This is part of your policy conditions which holds your insurance for (usually) three monts (december-february). This will cost you less premies and might be a very smart option.

I don't know if keeping it in the outdoors AND in Utrecht for a winter. Locking it VERY good is a must then, especially if you choose to get your bike insured against theft.

This brings me to your second question as well (what a smooth transition, if I may say so myself). The Dutch system knows three options of insurances.
- WA (wettelijke aansprakelijkheidsverzekering = basic liability insurance) which covers only your damage to others.
- WA+ (or WA (beperkt) casco, etc.) which covers damage inflicted on others and when chosen: damage damage to your gear, to others, damage by theft and/or fire. But also to environmental mishaps.
- All-risk, the name says it all: damage to your own and others, etc. etc.

If I were you I'd choose from the two latter, since you live in Utrecht and the big city is full of hazards.

When you have chosen your option, you are not quite there yet. The premies is determined by:
- Value of the to-insured goods, obviously;
- Frequency of payment, per year costs less than per month;
- Damage-free-years (schadevrije jaren): insurance companies give discounts for the amount of years you have had a motorized vehicle registered to your name. The more years without troubles, the less premies you pay. So, in some cases it might be smart NOT to report some damage and just settle it on your own, otherwise your years are starting from 0 or even from a minus-number.
- Personal excess: you can opt a threshold of which the insurance company starts to pay (for instance the first €300,- of damage is for your own). This also will reduce your monthly premies.

Keep in mind that:
* For WA+ and All-Risk insurances may demand certified locks and/or alarms living up to a certain standard.
* A good comparison can be made on the internet. For instance, independer.nl or https://www.motorverzekering.nl/.
* All Dutch registered and insured vehicles must pay taxes. For Utrecht this is €29,- per quarter year.

To, finally, answer your question. My BMW '99 Funduro costs me (with 2 damage-free-years): €250,- per year. I have insured it WA, with some refund for gear and riders' medical care and gear insurance. I choose to keep it insured throughout the year.

Anymore questions? Shoot!

Awesome man thanks for such a detailed response really appreciate it! I'm definitely thinking about getting the WA mostly for the theft insurance as I've heard a lot of stories(and having two of my bikes stolen in the first 6 months haha). No other questions for now but if I do I'll be sure to hit ya up :)

Cheers!

WA means only third-party insurance, and that's obligated here.
For theft-insurance you need WA-plus.

And don't think about getting WA, just accept you need it.
If your bike is not WA-insured (and systems check this automatically) it's a hefty fine!

WA means only third-party insurance, and that's obligated here.
For theft-insurance you need WA-plus.

And don't think about getting WA, just accept you need it.
If your bike is not WA-insured (and systems check this automatically) it's a hefty fine!

True, you MUST have insurance. Forgot to mention that part.
Yeah, I'd think about the theft part. Don't forget to check your policy and rules for which grade of security you need. If you need any help with translating, don't hesitate to contact! :)

:W McAddy
full
succes
:]
Als je ook een icoon wilt of resizen, even hier vragen. :)
full

Terug
Bovenaan Onderaan