Howto - Cardo Scala Rider Q3 - Battery Replacement

eagl0rtje

MF'er
14 sep 2011
Howto: Cardo Scala Rider Q3 – Replace Battery

I bought the CSR Q3 when it just came out. So I’ve been using it for about 4 years now.
Over the years the battery was draining faster and faster. It came up to the point that I could only use it for about 2 to 3 hours, and then it was empty. The original usage was around 8 to 9 hours.

So I’ve been searching the internet if someone already had done this. Could not find it for the Q3, but for the older versions there were some write ups. The most important thing was to find some replacement battery, that fits the original dimensions of the battery (or smaller), had the same voltage, and the same capacity (or more).

I didn’t want to open up my Q3 before I knew if there were some replacements available. Searching some battery replacement sites, they all mentioned these specifications:

Capacity: 320 mAh
Type: Li-po
Voltage: Voltage: 3.7V
Dimensions: 52 x 20 x 5 (mm)

I can tell you, these specs are not “true”. When opening up my Q3, there was a different battery inside it with these specs:

Capacity: 400 mAh
Type: Li-ion
Voltage: Voltage: 4.2V
Dimensions: 48 x 20 x 4 (mm)

Via a write up of the replacement of a Q2 I came by the following replacement battery:
Blogpost
Replacement Battery

This battery is used originally in an iPod 5th generation. So should fit well, also the added capacity in mAh should mean a couple of minutes more runtime.

Capacity: 450 mAh
Type: Li-po
Voltage: Voltage: 3.7V
Dimensions: 45 x 19 x 5 (mm)

What do you need:
-Replacement battery
-Torx T6
-Plastic tool to open
-Solder unit

Step 1
Remove the four (4) screws at the back of the unit.

full

full

Step 2
With the plastic tool try and go inside the small gap that hold the sides together. You can also apply a bit pressure by squeezing the device. Its not glued together, so it should be fairly easy to open. Just go slowly around the sides. From front to back (USB port). And the halves should come free easy.

full

full

full

full

Step 3
When you separate the halves. Just keep the part with the green printboard. The top half doesn’t need alterations. As you also can see there is no adhesive or glue/kit. Totally clean.

full

full

Step 4
The board is connected to the bottom black half with two 4-pin connectors. Just pry the plastic tool between, and gently lift up to get it loosened.

full

full

Step 5
The battery is lightly glued to the bottom. Just pry the tool under it, and lift gently.

full

full

Step 6
As you can see the battery is connected to the printboard by a small connector. Gently disconnect the cable by pulling it.

full

full

Step 7
As you can see the replacement battery has a flat-cable instead of a neat connector like the original. We need to resolder te original wires, to the new battery. First, remove the flat cable.
Unpack the battery gently, so that you can reach the solder points.

full

full

full

full

Step 8
De-solder the MIDDEL three dots. Then the flat cable will get loose. Do not touch the most left and right dots.

full

full

Step 9
To de-solder the wires of the original cable, unpack it gently and fold the top half over. So the wires come loose and in view to de-solder.

full

full

Step 10
When you got the wires loosened. Solder them onto the replacement battery.

full

full

Step 11
When done soldering, repack it gently in the foil. Make sure to fold in the cables, so that it sticks out just a bit.

full

full

Step 12
Re-assemble everything. So: Connect battery, place it in bottom half, press in the printboard, make sure the two 4-pin connectors are aligned neatly. To test if it works, press the front button for 3 seconds. It should boot up, and the blue light should be visible. Place the four screws again. Connect it to the charger, and let it charge.

full

full

full

full

Enjoy your Q3 with longer battery life again!

Hallo eagl0rtje,

Spreek je Nederlands?
Anders maar even Google Translate.

Mooie How To Thread bedankt.

Ik heb ook 1 van de eerste Q3's maar geen problemen met batterij tot nu toe.
Wel heb ik vaak gekraak met bellen en communicatie met andere?
Weet U wat dit kan zijn?

Zeker. Gewoon NL-er. Maar dacht omdat er nergens op internet wat te vinden was, het wellicht handig was alvast in Engels te schrijven.

Ik heb alleen gekraak met de TomTom. Dat is gewoon een "brakke" codec. Slechte kwaliteit.
Had ik al met de Rider v5, maar nu ook met de nieuwe TomTom Rider 450. Gaat via HFP/HSP.

Wanneer je koppelt met een Android / iPhone, en je start daar de TomTom app, dan is het geluid kristal helder. Gaat via AD2P.

Met bellen heb ik eigenlijk nooit issues. Ook de mensen die mij spreken wanneer ik aan het rijden ben, zeggen dat het geluid helder over komt.

Praten met anderen, die ook een Q3 hebben, heel af en toe is gekraak. Maar dat is dan meer omdat we te ver uit elkaar rijden.

Er zijn diverse firmware updates uitgekomen in de loop der jaren. Heb je die netjes geïnstalleerd? Kan je doen, door hem via USB aan te sluiten op de PC.

Daarna hier inloggen:
http://cardosystems.com/us/cardo-community/

Er komt van de week nog een firmware update uit. Deze fixt een probleem in nieuwere Android versies. Als je bijv. je telefoon op Kanaal 1 hebt, en TomTom op Kanaal 2. Dan crasht de Q3 spontaan. Dit zou deze update moeten fixen.

Maar de div. andere updates (die je wellicht mist) fixen allerlei gekke communicatie issues. Dus check even of je bijgewerkt bent.

Er zijn diverse firmware updates uitgekomen in de loop der jaren. Heb je die netjes geïnstalleerd? Kan je doen, door hem via USB aan te sluiten op de PC.

Daarna hier inloggen:
Cardo Community

Er komt van de week nog een firmware update uit. Deze fixt een probleem in nieuwere Android versies. Als je bijv. je telefoon op Kanaal 1 hebt, en TomTom op Kanaal 2. Dan crasht de Q3 spontaan. Dit zou deze update moeten fixen.

Maar de div. andere updates (die je wellicht mist) fixen allerlei gekke communicatie issues. Dus check even of je bijgewerkt bent.

Ja altijd netjes bijgehouden maar blijft storen.
Zit nu op het punt om toch een andere te gaan halen.

Het is al een oud onderwerp, toch waag ik nog even een vraag.

het stukje silliconen houdt mij tegen de 2 helften uit elkaar te trekken. Hoe zat dit bij jou??

gr Ype

Zeker. Gewoon NL-er. Maar dacht omdat er nergens op internet wat te vinden was, het wellicht handig was alvast in Engels te schrijven.

Ik heb alleen gekraak met de TomTom. Dat is gewoon een "brakke" codec. Slechte kwaliteit.
Had ik al met de Rider v5, maar nu ook met de nieuwe TomTom Rider 450. Gaat via HFP/HSP.

Wanneer je koppelt met een Android / iPhone, en je start daar de TomTom app, dan is het geluid kristal helder. Gaat via AD2P.

Met bellen heb ik eigenlijk nooit issues. Ook de mensen die mij spreken wanneer ik aan het rijden ben, zeggen dat het geluid helder over komt.

Praten met anderen, die ook een Q3 hebben, heel af en toe is gekraak. Maar dat is dan meer omdat we te ver uit elkaar rijden.

SCHOP !
Ter info.

Ik heb geprobeerd de batterij te vervangen van mijn Q3.
En dat is wel gelukt.
Echter is bij mij het connectortje in de unit, wat de connectie met de speakers en microfoon verzorgt, losgekomen.
Ondanks dat ik voorzichtig ben geweest.
Unit is nu onbruikbaar geworden.
Dus wees zeer voorzichtig !!

Terug
Bovenaan Onderaan