Echte streetfighter of niet?

• Ja

Stemmen: 4 25,0%
  • Nee

Stemmen: 12 75,0%
  • Begint er op te lijken

Stemmen: 0 0,0%

• Totaal aantal stemmers
Klopt ja, de Kat gaat er straks uit. :Y Is nu weer standaard op het blok na, dat gebeurt straks nog. Ben wat anders aan het bouwen.

Nu is er in de begintijd van de Katana een speciale uitvoering geweest, de SZX, deze werd geleverd in Australie en Nieuw-Zeeland speciaal voor de racerij en had spaakwielen omdat daar 18 inch omheen gespaakt kon worden en in die maat had je toen de beste racebanden!

Hoi Robinjo,

Heb jij ook meer info foto’s over de SZX ???
1000 cc neem ik aan.

Nu is er in de begintijd van de Katana een speciale uitvoering geweest, de SZX, deze werd geleverd in Australie en Nieuw-Zeeland speciaal voor de racerij en had spaakwielen omdat daar 18 inch omheen gespaakt kon worden en in die maat had je toen de beste racebanden!

Hoi Robinjo,

Heb jij ook meer info foto’s over de SZX ???
1000 cc neem ik aan.

Geen foto's geloof ik, kwam ze ook tegen toen ik met de spaakwielen bezig was maar meer zijdelings, vond dit op Oldskool.

Info about the "wire-wheeled Katanas by "torque711"

In my hunt for info about the rims for the wire wheeled Katanas (which I have now solved - thanks all), I uncovered some interesting facts from reputable Suzuki sources about the so-called 'NZ' or 'SXZ' Katanas. What appears below is only to add info to the pool of knowledge and not to discredit either individuals nor reputations/stories/bench racing.
I was led to believe that the original wire-wheeled/spoked Kats from 1981/2 were created by a NZ Suzuki dealer for the sole purpose to compete in the Wanganui street races (20 or so made). Apparently, this isn't quite correct ... as the SXZ Katanas were ALL built in Japan!! Not too sure yet on how many were made nor imported into Australia/NZ but the apparent folklore surrounding the actual build location is interesting.

As Production Racing was big in Oceania at the time, the Japanese factory produced the SXZ for budding and proven racers both in Australia and New Zealand (so yes, as a Kat model, they are still special!).

There might have been of course (and, please, info if you have it), tuners in NZ who modified original SXZs for Wanganui but my sources so far have indicated that they were not actually BUILT in NZ (unlike those oh-so-special and lucious McIntosh's of Roger Freeth et al with the GS donks).

Insofar as the supposed 'bathurst' specific Katanas go - these were few (i.e. never a 'batch' per se) and were the sole product of individuals/replicas who wanted to race them - unless they got their hands on a Jap made SXZ of course ... People like Mick Hone and Robbie "Mr Superbike" Phillis rode them (the latter referring these days to the Kats that he raced back then as 'those Katanas' - so they left an impression with him at least!)

Hence it would appear that the 'bathurst/NZ' Katanas were more a reflection on where they were intended to be raced rather than a 'special' build for those races (although it sounds good in concept! ). Although having said that, it's obvious that the SXZ Kats were built as race bikes to be raced.

As an aside, what seems today as funky rim sizes was THE combination to run back then as all racing rubber was of 18" plus and 17" tyres were restricted to road bikes only (backflip in today's terms). It is apparent though that some racers swapped the 19"x1.85" front rim for the 18"x2.5" rear and used a larger rim again for the rear (specs TBA).

There are still gaps and as I find out more - will post under this thread. I have a few calls to make next week to ex-Katana racers of the period for more dirt/info/goss.

"Greg_in_Oz" wrote:
Actually, it was a result of the rules of the Castrol 6 Hour production race. To be eligible for homologation as a production bike, 200 units had to be sold/imported etc. h*nda did it with the first CB1100RB models, too. The rest of the world got the big touring fairing and passenger seat etc. The bikes that hit Oz (I had one) had a hand laid fibreglass, single seat/tail unit and no fairing. They were also imported fully assembled by the race dept in a mini-container unlike normal production bikes of the time which were assembled at the warehouse.The following year, the organisers made single seat bikes ineligible so h*nda put the detachable seat cover on the CB1100RC.
So to answer your question on numbers of wire wheel Kats, I'd say 200 or so would be a good bet.

http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/index.htm?patrick/hardcorekats/articles/katana_drawings/index.htm~main

Ook nog een recent topic waar er ééntje te koop word aangeboden, de topicstarter mag niet meer van zijn vrouw want: "Vier Katana's zijn genoeg!" _O- Daarin word vermeld: there was a very6very limited edition katana built to compete in an australian road racing series. it had the 1100 kat engine, but with the higher lift cam from the 1000 and the 1000's smoothbore carbs, it also had spoked wheels, waaaaaaay sexyer than the cast wheels everyone else got. they were as rare as hens teeth even back in the 1980's, but as they were a race bike there are fewer surviving now. they were, by all accounts, blisteringly quick, and with the spoked wheels, stunningly good looking. also, as they were aussie only, very very few ever made it to the uk, probably less than 10. rare as hens teeth, and stunning to look at.

http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/cgi-bin/Yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1174467900

Robin,

Ga je m nu echt verkope, sonde man

:Y

Heb vanavond het blok eruit gehaald, deze gaat erin.
full

Laatst bewerkt:
Terug
Bovenaan Onderaan