Motor koopadvies - 1ste motor in NL

raj0690

Rookie
21 jan 2022
Hello Motor Forum users,

(Sorry for the long post. Sorry for the post in English, I hope it is allowed. This is my first post on the forum - Moderators, please move it to appropriate location as needed. Thank you.)

I am looking to buy my first motorbike in the Netherlands as an expat. I moved here 3 years ago after having stayed in India, Italy, Liechtenstein and UK previously. In the past years, I have ridden a few bikes - Yamaha Fazer 150, Yamaha Tenere 660, Honda CB500x. I am now looking at buying a motorcycle and seek the forum users opinions / guidance on the below:
First the administrative stuff:
1. When I buy a motorbike from a dealer - then most dealers will transfer the bike to my name and only need my Citizen Service Number (BSN) and Driver's License. Is this correct?
2. If I buy from a private person - then how can I make the transfer? Is there a website where I can check costs for this process?
3. I have read about insurances and would want to choose an insurance with theft covered. Most companies need an ART4 or ART5 lock for theft protection. Some additionally require a chain to a wall anchor or an earth/immovable object.
3.1 When I am taking the bike out (for a visit to restaurant, a day trip, commute to office), then is having a ART4/5 disc lock enough for insurance requirements?
3.2 I have a few close friends where I stay the night often. In that case, I can park it in their front/back yard with a disk lock and a ART4/5 chain on the rear wheel. No fence in the front yard. In the backyard, the door is wooden and fence is partially wooden and partial brick (from the storage) and partial plants with the neighbour. Will these situations be accepted in insurance?
3.3 I assume that the locking requirement of the NL insurance does not change when traveling within EU. Is that correct? Also hoping the same for traveling to UK?
3.4 In which case is the 3 year zero depreciation insurance recommended?
4. Over and above the requirements for insurance, for my personal peace of mind against theft, will a ART4/5 disc lock and chain to an an earth object (ex.: a street lamp pole) be safe enough for day parking? And also for night parking? Is getting an alarm recommended? My landlord doesn't allow me to put a wall anchor. I am open to other suggestions.

Now coming to the interesting stuff:)
a. Budget 5500 Euros (a bit extendable)
b. I have a A category license.
c. I ride calmly most times. Red-lining in each gear is 25% of the time only. I like the corners a lot. And for my skill level, I prefer to have a light bike.
d. I understand that the enjoyable cornering roads are quite a ride away from Randstad. So that means quite a highway ride before actually starting there. On such rides I prefer motors with good torque to enjoy a relaxed ride at speed limits.
e. I would be riding 25% of the time with a pillion (incl. one long distance tour and some short city rides).
f. I am expecting to use the bike on dry days for office commute, day trips across NL, touring (multiple weekend trips and one or two 500km+ one way tours). Approx. 5500-6000km every year. I plan to keep the motorcycle for 3 years minimum.
g. I would prefer to not have a cruiser or ADV motor.
h. So far, I have shortlisted by looking at the occasions: Duke/RC 390, Ninja/Z 400, Ninja 650 / ER6F, Mt07
- Ninja650 / ER6F is on the outer limit of my weight but it would definitely be very comfortable on long journeys and good pulling power with a pillion.
- Mt07 is on the list due to the fantastic engine and low weight. But I have not seen any good occasions in my budget :( Everything around 5500 euros has many KMs on the odometer. This almost pushes the Mt07 out of the list.
- Duke/RC 390, Ninja/Z 400 - From my search, it seems, these would be the best for lightweight fun as well as long distances in the saddle. Out of these options, my heart inclines the most to Ninja 400. But the occasions from dealers are nowhere to be seen. With a few hundred euros over my budget, a new Z400 sounds like a good proposition.

Questions:
(i) Am I missing any bikes in the shortlist?
(ii) Anyone with experience of 390 twins and/or 400 twins on long distance touring? With pillion?
(iii) How is the wind load at highway speeds on the Duke and Z400?
(iv) Anyone with riding experience on both Kawa and KTM can share experiences on the vibrations at highway speeds?
(v) Any suggestions on cornering abilities of the ER6F / Ninja 650? More importantly, how easy is it to upgrade my skills from cornering on a 390/400 to N650 considering the added weight and power/torque?
(vi) What should I check on the occasion engine? Apart from the usual - dents, scratches, tire wear, clutch and brake response, electricals.
(vii) Is there a way to find the KMs ridden? Similar to NAP check for cars.
(viii) What extra precaution should I take when buying from a private person?
(ix) Some dealers that I found worth checking out from occasion search, google reviews as well as those which have brand dealerships: Goedhart Motoren, Motoport (all locations), NIWA motors, MVM motors (2 locations), Arie Molenaar Motoren. More suggestions are welcome. Also, if you have good/bad experiences with any of the above, I am happy to hear.
(x) In general, how are the maintenance and spare part costs for Kawasaki, KTM, Yamaha in comparison to each other?

Thank you for your opinions, advice and time. Of course, if I missed to mention something, I am happy to answer.

cheers,
AJ

Welcome to the Dutch Motorforum :t

Check this site on registering a motorcycle ;

Motorcycles do not have a NAP so be carefull when buying. Most shops are ok but there are also a bunch of crooks.
Buying from an official dealer and with a known history of the bike ( service/maintenance book ) is always a good way to go.
And of course take somebody with you who can speak Dutch and who knows bikes. He is not in love with the specific bike and can have a critical look and ask the right questions.

Motorcycles do not have a NAP so be carefull when buying. Most shops are ok but there are also a bunch of crooks.
Buying from an official dealer and with a known history of the bike ( service/maintenance book ) is always a good way to go.
And of course take somebody with you who can speak Dutch and who knows bikes. He is not in love with the specific bike and can have a critical look and ask the right questions.
Thank you for the kind words and advice. I will ask in my circle if someone can join me to a dealer.

1. When I buy a motorbike from a dealer - then most dealers will transfer the bike to my name and only need my Citizen Service Number (BSN) and Driver's License. Is this correct? Yes and your adres.
2. If I buy from a private person - then how can I make the transfer? Is there a website where I can check costs for this process?
Kenteken auto overschrijven / aprox €10,-

All your insurance questions depends on the insuracne company, they have all different demands and sideletters. But theft isnt a big thing as it is in UK. If you want to be sure your bike wont be stolen, put 2 locks on it and paint the bike pink, with some brown or yellow highlights. A good tracker will give you some less headtroubles. And dont by a rather new Yamaha, its the most stolen brand

All your bike questions will be answered by others and they all consider their brand/type as best bike. On this forum people love to warn others over nothing like all dealers and traders are crooks and all 2nd hand bikes are demaged and repaired Cat A/B bikes. They are wrong. Mostly they've red something on the internet so it must be true.

Laatst bewerkt:
I don't know where you are living, but the Motoport Stores that I have experiences with are very bad. Here in Noord Holland the only good one is Motoport Hippolytushoef.

The Motoport Stores in Zuid Holland (northern part) also make a mess of the way they deliver the second hand bikes.

Goedhart and Molenaar are good shops,the other ones i don,t now,you can also look for
exclusive dealers that only do one motorcycle brand,they have the most knowledge of that brand
and give good service.A couple of exampels are :
For Kawasaki,
For Yamaha,
For KTM,

A recommended shop that i know is Ros motoren in Etten-Leur,very good service and only sells top motorcycles,

Laatst bewerkt:
Goedhart and Molenaar are good shops,the other ones i don,t now,you can also look for
exclusive dealers that only do one motorcycle brand,they have the most knowledge of that brand
For Kawasaki,
For Yamaha,
For KTM,

A recommended shop that i know is Ros motoren in Etten-Leur,very good service and only sells top motorcycles,
For Kawasaki I would also recommend Horeon Motors
www.horeon.nl

1. When I buy a motorbike from a dealer - then most dealers will transfer the bike to my name and only need my Citizen Service Number (BSN) and Driver's License. Is this correct?
3. I have read about insurances and would want to choose an insurance with theft covered. Most companies need an ART4 or ART5 lock for theft protection. Some additionally require a chain to a wall anchor or an earth/immovable object.
3.1 When I am taking the bike out (for a visit to restaurant, a day trip, commute to office), then is having a ART4/5 disc lock enough for insurance requirements?
3.2 I have a few close friends where I stay the night often. In that case, I can park it in their front/back yard with a disk lock and a ART4/5 chain on the rear wheel. No fence in the front yard. In the backyard, the door is wooden and fence is partially wooden and partial brick (from the storage) and partial plants with the neighbour. Will these situations be accepted in insurance?
3.3 I assume that the locking requirement of the NL insurance does not change when traveling within EU. Is that correct? Also hoping the same for traveling to UK?
3.4 In which case is the 3 year zero depreciation insurance recommended?
4. Over and above the requirements for insurance, for my personal peace of mind against theft, will a ART4/5 disc lock and chain to an an earth object (ex.: a street lamp pole) be safe enough for day parking? And also for night parking? Is getting an alarm recommended? My landlord doesn't allow me to put a wall anchor. I am open to other suggestions.
1. Yes, that will work
2. You have to go to a "kentekenloket" Usually a drugstore or bookshop where you can send packages too. You will find them on the PostNL or RDW website.
3, An insurance is mandatory. The RDW checks digitally, you will get a 400 euro fine within a month. A theft insurance usually demands an ART lock, but also locked to something immovable, an earth object,Read the conditions,
You will also recieve the bill for road tax from the RDW.
The insurance is for all EU countries. But Dutch police can check digitally, Abroad you need a green pass or form to show insurance. It is free, but you have to ask the insurance company. The form or pass lists all countries where the unsurance is valid, UK also.

For the bike, In the Netherlands you will ride a lot of highway, motorway to get anywhere. I would reccomend a bike around 50HP, above 25HP.

1. When I buy a motorbike from a dealer - then most dealers will transfer the bike to my name and only need my Citizen Service Number (BSN) and Driver's License. Is this correct? Yes and your adres.
Transfer license plate car / aprox €10,-

All your insurance questions depends on the insuracne company, they have all different demands and sideletters. But theft isnt a big thing as it is in UK. If you want to be sure your bike wont be stolen, put 2 locks on it and paint the bike pink, with some brown or yellow highlights. A good tracker will give you some less headtroubles. And dont by a rather new Yamaha, its the most stolen brand

All your bike questions will be answered by others and they all consider their brand/type as best bike. On this forum people love to warn others over nothing like all dealers and traders are crooks and all 2nd hand bikes are demaged and repaired Cat A/B bikes. They are wrong. Mostly they've red something on the internet so it must be true.
Hello Joostst,
Thank you for the answers and the links! And the pink bike joke 😂. Personally, I think I will have to buy a used bike for my budget. However, if I get a 6/12 month warranty then I have some peace of mind.

I don't know where you are living, but the Motoport Stores that I have experiences with are very bad. Here in Noord Holland the only good one is Motoport Hippolytushoef.

The Motoport Stores in Zuid Holland (northern part) also make a mess of the way they deliver the second hand bikes.
Bedankt for the heads up. Appreciated!

At this forum, below the menu, there's a section MF-users offer a bike for sale.
Maybe someone has a bike you like?
I will take a look! Thank you!

For Kawasaki,
For Yamaha,
For KTM,

This is great advice! I will definitely look the links to check their offers. Thank you for confirming about Goedhart, Molenaar and recommending Ros. :):}

A theft insurance usually demands an ART lock, but also locked to something immovable, an earth object,Read the conditions,
You will also recieve the bill for road tax from the RDW.
The insurance is for all EU countries. But Dutch police can check digitally, Abroad you need a green pass or form to show insurance. It is free, but you have to ask the insurance company. The form or pass lists all countries where the unsurance is valid, UK also.

For the bike, In the Netherlands you will ride a lot of highway, motorway to get anywhere. I would reccomend a bike around 50HP, above 25HP.
I thought I read in some insurance about the earth object. But saw some which only needed locks no earth object needed. Will scan the conditions carefully.
I see I reckon, the road tax is calculated mainly based on vehicle weight, fuel type and CO2 emissions (similar to cars). So I shouldn't expect very high tax on motorbikes.
The insurance green pass is a new information for me. Good to know. Thanks for sharing.
I am wondering the same at this moment - about adequate power and torque for my use. Definitely will consider your opinion.

Update to all:
I have been to Goedhart Motoren. Saw a couple of Z400s, a Duke 390 and a RC390 there. No stock of Ninja 400 (😕 they expect no trade-ins for now and will have the 2023 models only in June-July).
After a talk with them, they recommended that I look at 650s (for my budget used ones) since that would be much more comfortable on the highway. I have not found something that I would like in my budget there or on websites (autoscout, motoroccasion, viabovag).

So now I am contemplating my options:
1. Buy a 390/400
+in my budget (with low KMs)
+cheaper insurance and road tax
-may not be enough power (or will get bored with the power offered in the near future)
2. Buy a used 600-700
+great power / torque for highway
+good weight for windy NL conditions
-high KMs (based on the occasions I have seen in my budget and preferred vehicle weight)
-risk of higher maintenance/spare part costs due to high KMs
3. Buy a new 600-700
-quite a big extension of my budget (possible but not preferred)
+new bike and all benefits of pt. 2.

Heart says option 3. But mind says option 1 because this will be the first bike I own in the Netherlands and I have no idea on maintenance costs, spare part costs. Also I have only little idea on usage conditions (only from motor rentals), safety (parking, road rage, etc), experiences from insurance. Considering all of the above, the mind says, it is a smaller financial risk to go with option 1 and it would be a good stepping stone to know the overall motorbike ownership experience and costs before I move on to something bigger.

Maintenance costs/spare part costs: Are there any general opinions out there for relative comparison between KTM, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda? By general opinions I mean, for example, majority have an opinion that Kawasaki motors are highly reliable.

Are there typical costs for minor annual service? Major annual service?

Welcome on MF!

Have you considered the Suzuki Gladius? Well proven and reliable 650cc v twin and within the budget, there are quite a lot of bikes with low milage. For riding with two persons, I think it's just that little more powerful then a 400.

Today all of the Japanese brands are reliable,maintenance costs are not that much different between the brands,
For a good reliable motorcycle with enough power and with low fuel consumption the Honda NC700/750X would be a good choice,
they are very reliable and have enough power and are available with manual and DCT transmission.The bike in the video is a newer model
but the older ones are also very good motorcycles,there is also a 700cc version and that is also a good bike.
An alternative is the Suzuki DL650,also a very good touring motorcycle,round the 400cc bikes you were thinking of
are more learner bikes and not really touring motorcycles.

Laatst bewerkt:
Thank you all for the helpful tips! After your recommendations, I started looking for a ~600cc and with some search and calling at dealers, found myself a Yamaha XJ6 F Diversion. Have been riding it for a week and yes, the 600 makes a big difference especially with a pillion.
(Travelling around for work delayed the search and buying - but I finally made it 😉. Still before the real season begins)

Looking forward for any events like forum members meeting up or breakfast rides. Will keep an eye out on the forum for such posts.

Thanks for letting us know and enjoy your new bike! picture?
Sure! Thanks.
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-13 at 22.40.59.jpeg

Terug
Bovenaan Onderaan