Vietnam Deel 2

Omgeving 54

Omgeving 54.jpg

Pho bij een local tentje in Hoi An. Morgen zit ik er weer denk ik;)

incl. Cola was het €1.75.

SZxiV6Q.jpg

Laatst bewerkt:
How public money is used should be public knowledge

Vietnamese leaders, from deputy ministers up, fly business class, regardless of the flight duration.

In many international organizations, including the World Bank, International Monetary Fund and U.N., officials only get to fly business class if the trip is of more than eight hours since rest is essential for them to start working on landing.

So, for a three-hour flight from Hanoi to HCMC, a Vietnamese deputy minister will fly first class while a World Bank official lending them money, for example, will fly economy. Irony.

Government spending, which is from public tax money and income from public assets, should be used for the nation and public services such as the management of security, national defense, healthcare, education, infrastructure, and so on. In other words, the government has a responsibility to utilize public money for the public's interests.

If the government budget is carefully monitored by the public, the government would come under pressure to economize and be efficient with it. As the budget gets used better, the public will believe their tax contribution will directly benefit their well-being and be more motivated to contribute.

However, budget management in Vietnam is arguably weaker than in many other nations. In Sweden, a 2,000-page government budget report carefully documents all spending, from its prime minister’s flight tickets to his meals. With its strict rules, if a Swedish leader wants to buy their counterpart a cup of coffee, they would have to pay from their pockets.

The rules are equally strict in America. If the president receives an expensive gift, it will be auctioned and the proceeds will go into the government coffers. With such careful oversight, it is understandable that those nations’ yearly budget reports consist of thousands of pages of meticulously documented spending. On the other hand, Vietnam’s annual budget report comprises just a few dozens of pages on the overall revenues and expenses. This lack of detail is reflected in Vietnam's low Open Budget Index ranking with 15 points out of 100 compared to the global average of 42.

At the provincial level, only six out of Vietnam’s 63 provinces sufficiently publicize their budget spending, according to the 2018 Provincial Open Budget Index. Around half of all cities and provinces need to expeditiously improve their budget transparency. Both Hanoi and HCMC are in the low-transparency group despite spending the most from state budget. This deficiency prevents any interested individual from scrutinizing the government’s efficiency in public spending.

Money 1.jpg

Workers at Ho Chi Minh City's metro line project. Photo by VnExpress/Quynh Tran

It is evident that Vietnam needs to improve its public spending efficiency. One example of wasteful spending are the street banners with socio-political messages. They may distract drivers' attention and cause accidents. Other countries, even ones with similar socio-political landscapes such as China, rarely use street banners, let alone as extensively as Vietnam. The government should seriously consider whether its benefits outweigh its costs.

Vietnam should also consider how other nations and international organizations regulate their budgets, which would help us better understand which expenses directly contribute to the public's interests and which should be considered just extravagance.

No budget can withstand unregulated, unrestrained spending.

Only by publicizing the government budget with carefully documented details can spending violations be identified and stopped. Only then can transparency and efficiency be achieved. In recent years, admittedly, the Vietnamese government has made a number of laudable efforts to increase budget transparency. However, regulations should be codified explicitly to prevent any possible abuse.

Publicizing spending at all levels of government is the first step toward improving budget transparency. It should be made one of Vietnam’s top priorities.

For years have nations strived toward government transparency.

It is time for us to catch up.

Bron: How public money is used should be public knowledge - VnExpress International

:X O-) :X

Out of sight…

Out 1.jpg

Terraced fields are shown in Da Lat, located in the Central Highlands of Vietnam, in this file photo taken by Ly Hoang Long.

How about the first time you went to a supermarket in your new country overseas only to discover a favourite food item had a price tag that nearly knocked you off your feet? Or you visited accommodation while apartment hunting that was expensive yet missing what you consider to be basic features?

When we move abroad we have to decide which toys, trinkets, and habits we’ll keep in our adoptive country and which we’ll let go.

I recently wrote an article about the cost of living for an expat retiree in Vietnam and discovered during research that I was spending money on things out of habit, not need, and that I could save a fair amount by tweaking priorities: Part of that exercise was a sanity check on where money was going because the cost structure is quite different in Vietnam, so simply converting prices from a foreign currency to Vietnamese dong (VND) only tells part of the story. Some items are proportionately cheaper than we’re used to, and some pricier, particularly luxury items and imported products.

Something has to give, and it’s trickier if we need to balance a budget simultaneously with making lifestyle decisions. It’s all about rationalizing and reconciling what we can afford with what we want and need. What we can afford is usually easy to determine, but differentiating between “need” and “want” can be baffling. This exercise doesn’t necessarily mean doing without something we want, nor counting pennies and gnashing teeth over every item, rather comparing and choosing with a discerning eye.

Take rent for example - I know many people who spend double or more than me because they want a guest room, an office or den, and a garden. Fair enough - some people value space more than others. I prefer small, simple, and flexible, so I’ve been staying in a hotel for over two years.

As a former homeowner I confess it felt strange at first to not have several rooms to knock around in, but I soon got used to my new living style. If any doubt about downsizing had ever crept in (it didn’t), I would have reminded myself that my new lifestyle is much cheaper, without any commitment, and requires no time, effort, nor cash to maintain.

Reminds me of the expression “out of sight, out of mind," which means we’re not tempted by things if we don’t see them or are otherwise reminded of them. I don’t see that large home so I don’t miss it.

Most of my expat acquaintances pay around VND10 million per month on rent, which equals US$435 monthly (based on the current rate of VND 23,000 = $1) - a bargain by Western standards. When compared to the VND5 million or $220 that I pay it suddenly seems extravagant, and in relative terms it is. I save VND60 million per year or about $2,600 by having a smaller place. That’s a fair chunk of change anywhere, moreso here in Vietnam.

Coffee is one of Vietnam’s largest cash crops, so naturally there are many offerings spanning various qualities and price ranges. Large multinational brand name coffee sellers use beans imported from the other side of the world so obviously the cost is much higher than local robusta beans.

A cup of local brew costs VND10,000 ($0.45) in a working-class cafe, VND20,00 ($0.88) in a nicer middle-class place, or VND60,000 ($2.60) for a larger portion in the multinational coffee shops, and you can pay double that for their fancier drinks.

When we’re in the mood to splurge, some beautifully decorated cafes with live music, first-class service, and koi ponds sell a cup for VND100,000 ($4.30), but those places are reserved for special occasions, not part of the usual daily routine.

Based on a two-cup-per-day habit, the local brew costs VND7,300,000 ($317) annually, the middle-class cup comes to VND14,600,000 ($635), and a larger, decent-sized cup at the fancy multinational big name cafe weighs in at VND43,800,000 ($1,904).

Out 2.jpg

Grinding beans in a multinational brand name cafe

Let’s say we’re used to the multinational cafe and all it’s slick amenities, such as air-conditioning, background music, servers with uniforms and name tags (Why do we need to know their names?), and cheesy advertising all over the shop.

The working-class place with its clouds of cigarette smoke, raucous card games, kiddie plastic chairs, and generally humble surroundings is too far toward the other extreme, so we compromise and frequent the middle-class cafe instead of the multinational cafe. We’ll save more than VND29 million ($1,270) annually with that deft little move - it’s interesting to see how it adds up. That example illustrates how to assess preferences and make sure our money is providing the best value without going bonkers from “analysis paralysis."

We’re fortunate in Vietnam because the French colonial era created a strong culinary bond between European and local foods. That marriage of cultures resulted in treats such as foreign dishes made using local ingredients and hybrid versions of Western dishes (such as “bò kho” beef stew which is the Vietnamese take on French “ragout”).

Vietnamese food lovers also enjoy good quality, locally-made French-style sausages, cold cuts, pate, and cheese, so there’s no need to pay hefty prices for imported products. The local version of sliced ham (“dăm bông” from the French word jambon) is a knock-off of the sandwich ham that we grew up on in Western countries that would pass any blindfold test, and costs only about VND25,000 (just over $1) for 100 grams.

Out 3.jpg

Delicious version of luncheon ham

Domestic “La Vache Qui Rit” (The Laughing Cow) French-style wedges of creamy cheese and cheddar slices for sandwiches imported from Thailand are both comparable to their Western counterparts at less than 1/2 of the price of imported Emmental and Camembert cheeses.

I know, I know, that processed stuff is not all real cheese, but they’re both a hell of a lot better than no cheese at all. Been there, done that, and life without cheese was not pleasant, let me tell you.

And that leads us to the only way to determine what’s in and what’s out: Test the products available in our price range, see what we enjoy and crave, and take it from there. At the very least you’ll be aware of what’s really important.

Let’s take European (grape-based) wine: I drink a good grade of the local Da Lat wine which most foreigners dismiss as glorified vinegar. I wouldn’t know tannin if it hit me in the head, but I do know a good wine having lived surrounded by vineyards in Europe for 13 years as well as within a stone’s throw of Northern California’s wineries for longer than that. The Da Lat wine is definitely not world class nor anywhere close to it, but that’s not the question, this is:

Despite the tartness, is it drinkable or not?

The answer, for me at least, is I’ve drunk much worse in less pleasant surroundings, so although that local grog puckers up my cheeks, it’s definitely drinkable. I buy a three-liter box for VND240,000, the equivalent of four 750ml bottles, lasting about six days, which comes to around 60 boxes per year at a total cost of VND14,400,000.

Out 4.jpg

Da Lat red wine

There’s a Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon available in the same shop that really gets my motor running. Yummy. A major temptation, I confess. It sells for VND120,000 per bottle, or VND480,000 for the same three liters as the local Da Lat wine. Extrapolate that out over a year and I save VND14,400,000 drinking the local wine, which equals $625.

The question that needs answering is: Would I prefer drinking the local stuff and getting a free return airplane ticket to Tokyo from Vietnam or drinking the Chilean wine? And the answer is: I’ll take the local stuff and the ticket.

We could go on and on with examples, but let’s stop right there and tally up the annual savings: VND60 million on rent, VND29.2 million on coffee, and VND14.4 million on wine come to over VND103 million, equivalent to just over $4,500. Anyone who thinks that’s chump change, go ahead and laugh. I’ll gladly take the $4,500 each year and allocate it elsewhere, thank you very much.

My passion is travel because that’s what I value most in life, and that $4,500 represents a month-long trip to a world-class destination with all the trimmings, which is precisely what I’m going to do with that cash.

Get out your calculator and “follow the money” as the expression goes, there might just be a sizeable amount that you can save by moving priorities around.

Be patient, experimental, and creative, and remember: “Out of sight, out of mind.”

Bron: Out of sight… - Tuoi Tre News

Ik ben heel slecht in prijzen (altijd al geweest), dus ik laat de boodschappen aan Minh. Maar v.w.b. de wijn, waar ik zelf de regie hou, ben ik het volledig met de auteur eens. Ik heb zelf de dozen met Premium (de duurste: ca. VND 300.000) en die is vaak heel behoorlijk. En het klopt, een beetje redelijke wijn praat je hier al heel snel over €10/fles. En dat is ook ongeveer de prijs van een drie-liter-doos Dalat.

122 killed on Vietnam roads in 6 days of LNY holiday

Tet 1.jpg

A traffic police officer pulls over a car in Hanoi on January 27, 2020. Photo: Mai Thuong / Tuoi Tre

A total of 122 people were killed in traffic accidents across Vietnam in six days of the Lunar New Year holiday, the National Traffic Safety Committee has said.

The Lunar New Year festival, or Tet, fell on January 25 this year, with preparation and celebration taking place the entire week before and after the date.

Between January 23 and 28, a total of 122 people were killed and another 150 injured in 174 traffic accidents nationwide, according to statistics released by the National Traffic Safety Committee on Wednesday.

Although the number of accidents dropped by 7.4 percent year-on-year, the number of deaths in Tet road crashes increased by nearly eight percent, the committee said.

No railway or waterway accidents were reported during this year’s Tet festival.

Nearly 2,200 cases of road traffic violations, including over 860 DUI incidents, were booked nationwide on Tuesday, the fourth day of the new lunar year, with fines totaling nearly VND1.7 billion (US$73,300) being handed to violators.

Twenty-five cars and 318 motorbikes were confiscated and over 300 driver’s licenses revoked by traffic police officers throughout the country on the same day.

Overall, the committee said the number of DUI-related accidents during Tet plummeted significantly this year compared to the last, without providing figures.

Under Vietnam’s zero-tolerance policy on DUI which was introduced on January 1, motorbike drivers who have been drinking will be fined up to $345, while car drivers under the influence could face a penalty of up to $1,800. Both face two-year license suspensions.

A Ministry of Health report shows the number of traffic accident-related emergencies dropped by 18.2 percent compared to the 2019 Lunar New Year.

Bron: 122 killed on Vietnam roads in 6 days of LNY holiday - Tuoi Tre News

Even wat statistieken over de afgelopen week.
O, en waarom geen cijfers over het dronken rijden?

Ik bedoel er verder niets mee, hoor… O-)

Nee, dat denken ze niet. O-)

Wat ze wel denken -en dus ook notoir doen- is:
  • in de ene hand de telefoon
  • in de andere hand een sigaret
  • beide flessen Dalatwijn in de kraag
  • en een stuk of drie passagiers op de motor erbij die helemaal te lam zijn om te rijden.
Dat ik niet overdrijf bewijst de komst (eindelijk, maar ze lopen hier met alles 30 jaar achter) van de nieuwe drankwet, die gewoon heel hard nodig was.
Nu nog handhaven. Vandaar mijn opmerking bij het artikel.

Me dunkt dat Fred daar heel blij mee zou zijn. Hoe meer je blért, hoe meer je betaalt.
Alleen het handhaven zou, net als bij die drankwet wel een probleem zijn.

Zo, de Chinese leverancier van de (chinese) fabriek bij Hanoi moet bij inreis 1 week in Quarantäne...oftewel de Reis naar Hanoi is voorlopig opgeschoven. |(

Bij Aeroflot kan ik niet cancellen, alleen verschuiven. Goedkoop, dat wel, dus eerst maar eens verschoven, als de Chinesen weer mogen reizen kan ik dan nog een keer verschuiven.
Moet ik wel op mijn motoronderdelen wachten die ik in Vietnam wou kopen. O-)

Me dunkt dat Fred daar heel blij mee zou zijn. Hoe meer je blért, hoe meer je betaalt.
Alleen het handhaven zou, net als bij die drankwet wel een probleem zijn.
In theorie niet. Kwestie van rondrijden. Ze staan zelfs al "in een pijpje te blazen". Op dit moment, de eerste werkdag na de tet-ellende, kunnen ze er zo al twee moeiteloos op heterdaad betrappen. Die kan ik nu vanuit huis horen. Het is echt veel gemakkelijker scoren dan drankgebruik in het verkeer.

Over de praktijk zal ik het na een week terreur maar even niet hebben. Maar wie mijn ongezouten, alles-omvattende en nietsontziende mening, uiteraard voorzien van keiharde argumenten en bewijzen,wil horen, is welkom voor een goed glas Dalatwijn. Vanzelfsprekend de Premium-versie. :+

Laatst bewerkt:
@Xir
Geen idee hoe dat verder gaat. Ik weet dat in de provincie waar ik woon (Khanh Hoa) extra controles zijn omdat besmette Chinezen in Nha Trang zijn geweest. En Nha Trang is toch al een stad waar veel Chinezen komen. Dus even afwachten, alleen hoe lang??

Vịt chạy đồng

In Vietnam Deel 2 staat beschreven hoe na de rijstoogst eenden voedsel zoeken op de rijstvelden. O.a.
Dit is populair in het zuiden van Vietnam en heet "vịt chạy đồng", wat je kunt vertalen als ‘eenden rennen van veld naar veld’”.

Welnu, hier zie je dat rennen van veld naar veld…

Vit 1.jpg

Op jouw bericht van 25 januari met de kaart van het Nieuwe jaar wordt melding gemaakt van het jaar van de Muis.
In het Algemeen Dagblad van vandaag staat dat de Chinezen nu het jaar van de Rat vieren.
Lopen die twee in (Indo)China niet gelijk?

Bad traffic a roadblock to tourism in Vietnam: expat

Bad 1.jpg

A man is seen using a mobile phone while driving on a Ho Chi Minh City street. Photo: Quang Dinh / Tuoi Tre

Editor’s note: Canadian Bill Harany expressed his thoughts on traffic in Vietnam in response to a request from Tuoi Tre News. In his comments, Harany called out local drivers on a variety of behaviors he disagrees with, as well as offered up his opinion how those behaviors might be changed.

I have lived in Vietnam for about six years. I’ve ridden my motorbike to Lung Cu in the very north of the country and to Dat Mui in the very south. I’ve ridden from Tra Vinh to Dak Mil twice. I prefer staying away from cities but I have ridden in Hanoi, Ben Tre, My Tho, Can Tho, Soc Trang, Bac Lieu, Ca Mau, Kon Tum, Buon Ma Thuot, Chau Doc, Hoi An, Sa Pa, and Ha Giang.

I am glad when people ask me how many times I’ve seen people obey traffic laws – it’s a much shorter answer than if I’m asked how many people in Vietnam don’t. Drivers in Vietnam seem to think traffic laws are merely guidelines, not laws. For example, to be able to talk on a mobile phone while driving, many people wedge the top of their phone into their helmet so that they can keep both hands on the handlebars. Though they’re breaking the law by using a phone while driving, they think by not using a hand to hold the phone the situation is less dangerous.

Trucks and buses in Vietnam drive where and how they want because they are bigger, have louder (illegally loud?) horns, pass in dangerous situations, have blinding headlights, and generally force smaller vehicles out of the way because they can’t (or won’t) stop to avoid potentially dangerous situations.

I’ve also seen countless parents riding with one hand while holding a young baby with the other. I don’t understand it. Maybe they aren’t concerned with whether they themselves live or die, but how they can put their own child’s life at risk is beyond me.

Bad 2.jpg

Bill Harany is seen in a photo he provided Tuoi Tre News

After six years of living in here in Vietnam, I can come up with a mile-long list of traffic behaviors that I don’t agree with – entering a side road without stopping to check for traffic, not using turn signals, using cellphones to talk or text while driving, traveling at night without headlights, riding motorbikes and bicycles side by side with friends and completely blocking traffic lanes, driving on the sidewalk, and allowing children not to wear helmets, to name a few. These are all actions and habits that are dangerous and likely to cause accidents.

Too many drivers and pedestrians seem to rely on others for their safety. For example, I rarely see pedestrians take the shortest, safest route when crossing a road. They often walk diagonally across the road, thereby prolonging the amount of time they are on the road with motorbikes and cars swerving around them. I also constantly see pedestrians choosing to walk on the street, rather than the sidewalk, even when there is no need. As a driver, it seems that I am expected to be more responsible for others than they are for themselves.

I have asked many students if they are taught traffic safety in school and very few say “yes.” One friend I asked thought that schools offering traffic safety lessons was a silly idea and told me that it should be solely parents' responsibility to teach their children how to be safe drivers and pedestrians. But if the parents are bad and unsafe drivers, how can they teach their children? For this reason, I believe that the main reason for such widespread disregard for traffic safety is a lack of education.

I’ve met many people who say that they will never return to Vietnam because of how bad the traffic is here. This means the country’s entire tourism industry is taking a hit because of Vietnam’s reputation as being one of the worst countries in the world for driving.

In my opinion, all of this can be fixed by building better roads. Too many of Vietnam’s roads are too narrow with too many potholes. Many roads are so narrow that cars and trucks are forced to drive in the middle of the roadway. When automobiles meet an oncoming vehicle, it’s the motorbikes and bicycles around them who are forced off the road.

I also believe that it is imperative that traffic safety be taught in schools and that a traffic hotline be opened so that people can report dangerous drivers, such as bus drivers who use cellphones, hit-and-run drivers, and drunk drivers.

Police should enforce laws more strictly and launch a public relations campaign. In Canada, traffic police go to public schools to talk to children about safety and create connections with local communities.

Bron: Bad traffic a roadblock to tourism in Vietnam: expat - Tuoi Tre News

Hij verwoordt netjes wat ik meestal ongenuanceerd (maar echt volstrekt terecht) roep: “Vietnamezen kunnen niet rijden, niet technisch en niet tactisch.”

Met technisch bedoel ik dat er bij veel Vietnamezen geen enkel begrip is hoe versnellingen, voorrem, licht en een helm te gebruiken.

Tactisch betekent hier, dat er nauwelijks Vietnamezen zijn die zich realiseren dat er zich ook anderen op dezelfde weg bevinden. En dus veranderen ze van richting zonder kijken of dat op een of andere manier aan te geven, negeren stoplichten, zebra’s en zo ongeveer alle verbodsborden en zijn meer geïnteresseerd in hun telefoon of sigaret dan in het verkeer.

En vergeet vooral niet: de al vaker geschetste regel van “alles wat niet recht voor je zit is er niet” gaat nog steeds volledig op..

O, en wat die telefoon betreft, mijn ervaring is dat de meeste die gewoon in de hand houden zoals op foto 1. En in de andere hand een sigaret.

De man op foto 1 is trouwens een grote uitzondering: hij zit klaar om de voorrem te gebruiken. Bij veel motoren werkt die nauwelijks, als ze die al kunnen vinden. O-)

What’s next for Vietnam in the Year of the Rat

Rat 1.jpg

A group of people practice laughter yoga in Hanoi, Vietnam. Photo: Nguyen Khanh / Tuoi Tre

My crystal ball is at 100 percent, online and ready to prophesize!

I predict that the Vietnamese will drive on the correct side of the road. Folks will not challenge you as you turn the corner for the right to drive straight at you and honking of the horn will become a thing of the past.

Well, stranger things have happened here!

Certainly, there’s the potential for Vietnam to become world champions in just about everything. I just hope Vietnamese customs officers don't tax the incoming swag of gold medals and championship cups. Just don’t bet the house, motorbike or business on the outcome.

Start-up ventures such as ‘drive you home’ services for bars will be profitable although how you can be sure that the ‘safe driver’ is actually sober might be a problematic situation. I think driverless cars might help here although designing the software to cope with Vietnamese traffic would be worthy of a Nobel award.

While we’re on cars, electric cars breaking into the domestic traffic market would be exciting. However, I imagine petrol service station attendants re-charging vehicles would look odder than a Vietnamese woman smoking in public.

If the Vietnamese (competent) authorities can keep up the zero-alcohol pressure throughout the year, there would be a fall in the traffic death toll, less domestic violence after football betting losses, and far less late-night noise pollution for drag-racing in the suburbs.

This could also be the year English teachers get proper work permits and full-time employment rather than moonlighting at several language centers before dawn. But my crystal ball also predicts these applicants may have to undergo mandatory drug testing and a psychiatric assessment before being approved. I also predict more Nigerians and other non-American looking candidates will experience a drop in workplace discrimination and all will be right with the world.

Gazing into the foggy future, I can foresee the enlightenment of the Vietnamese tourism authorities and the unconditional entry into the country on a 30-day basis without a visa. The explosion in hotel, condotel and homestay occupancy rates will bring so much dough that it will make up for the loss in visa stamping income across the board.

Mind you, dealing with the massive influx of tourists might require staff training all year round. Two-hour training sessions between shifts just don’t cut it, folks.

I have a hunch that smartphone etiquette will advance a notch in coffee shops across the country, as locals begin to whisper into their phones or better yet ignore the phone to concentrate on conversations with their loved ones, thus dramatically improving good manners and promoting social harmony which is so much a part of Vietnamese culture.

While I doubt taxi drivers will become more polite, considerate and able to use English, there is the possibility of shopkeepers posting fixed prices and maintaining fresh stock rather than the usual ‘next week’ ghastliness that we’ve resigned ourselves to; never too late to change, is it?

I’m prognosticating a crackdown on begpackers and "lost my wallet and my whole life but selling photographs of my cool travels" hippies creating hazards on sidewalks and if unable to provide for themselves, then being forced to do "social work" such as sweeping the streets and rubbish collection as a goal to re-enforce their confidence and encourage them to go get a bar job or teach in the mountains.

My minor prophesies include a decline in the number of local males lifting their shirts when it’s hot to expose their tummies to the horror of tourists. Such behavior will become less prevalent as social trolling of this habit takes its toll on local masculine attitudes. However, it may not impact on young men throwing plastic chairs in pedestrian tourist streets.

Sugarcane juice prices will remain stable during this year and there might be a surge in the value of Honda cubs. Economically I’m sure Vietnam will wiggle its way between the trade war between America and China yet I can’t prevision a reduction in brown-outs, blackouts, and water supply consistency. Flooding will remain normal.

We can look forward to the prospect of more foreigners perceiving the wisdom of marrying locals, the social and health benefits of which would be become obvious to anyone. Year-of-the-Rat babies can enjoy a long life and live prosperously.

Well, the crystal ball is running low on power and I’ll have to recharge it in a minute. While so much of this great nation is changing at an impressive rate, it’s comforting to know that some things will never change: local friendliness, cheerfulness and, above all, the ability to have a laugh about things.

So plan carefully, based on my predictions, and you’ll have a trouble-free year. But remember to wear a helmet, apply for a visa before you come here and always have spare change for topping up the gas tank.

I foresee a great year in store for you!

Bron: What’s next for Vietnam in the Year of the Rat - Tuoi Tre News

Hmmm, de sarcastische woordspelingen met "lachwekkend" die n.a.v. de foto in grote hoeveelheden naar boven borrelen zal ik maar achterwege laten.

En ik laat mijn eigen kristallen bol ook maar in de doos: een mens kan heel wat krijgen van een hevige schrik…

Hoewel, je hebt natuurlijk helemaal geen kristallen bol nodig. Gewoon je zintuigen gebruiken om
  • Te horen, dat de pestherrie en overlast van geluidsinstallaties steeds groter wordt...
  • Te zien, dat de anarchie in het verkeer steeds erger wordt...
  • Te ruiken, dat de luchtkwaliteit, zeker in de grote steden, steeds smeriger wordt...
Maar vooral
  • Te weten, dat dit land inmiddels door en door verrot is!
  • Te voelen, dat het alleen maar slechter wordt. Details bij de Dalatwijn.
Maar ik hoop uit de grond van mijn hart dat Stivi gelijk krijgt.

Ik denk dat het tijd wordt voor een post over het Corona Virus Fred.

Ik wilde gister naar het strandje van het meer naast Pleiku maar hij was gesloten want virus. Verder vroeg het vrouwtje van de homestay of ik uit Beijing kwam en begonnen ze bijhet tentje waar ik Pho at ook over het virus..

m8JYIK9.jpg

De markt nabij Pleiku was natuurlijk niet gesloten. Ondanks dat je daar een veel hoger risico hebt op besmetting:9

M5DUS0y.jpg

Mijn bed in de homestay. Er was verder niemand anders. Kosten: €2.70

4sTsr2J.jpg

De Pho was erg lekker.

Ik denk dat het tijd wordt voor een post over het Corona Virus Fred.

Ik wilde gister naar het strandje van het meer naast Pleiku maar hij was gesloten want virus. Verder vroeg het vrouwtje van de homestay of ik uit Beijing kwam en begonnen ze bijhet tentje waar ik Pho at ook over het virus..

m8JYIK9.jpg

De markt nabij Pleiku was natuurlijk niet gesloten. Ondanks dat je daar een veel hoger risico hebt op besmetting:9

M5DUS0y.jpg

Mijn bed in de homestay. Er was verder niemand anders. Kosten: €2.70

4sTsr2J.jpg

De Pho was erg lekker.

Vietnam onderneemt alle stappen die het kan om de verspreiding tegen te gaan.
Ze waren één van de eerste landen die vluchten vanuit Wuhan schrapten (vorige week dinsdag), vanaf vorige week donderdag werden vluchten geschrapt vanuit 30 van de 31 Chinese provincies. Momenteel ligt alle transport (lucht/land/water) van/naar China zo goed als stil. Visa's worden opgeschort, quarantaines uitgedeeld als zoete broodjes.
Vanmorgen in het nieuws dat er toch 2 gevallen bij zijn gekomen (nu 12 bevestigd) waarvan reeds 3 weer ontslagen zijn uit het ziekenhuis ivm 'genezen'. Honderden mensen in quarantaine en duizenden onder toezicht.

Laatste berichten (wereldwijd) zijn echter dat je besmettelijk bent zowel voor- als nadat je 'genezen' (negatief testen) bent. Erg lastig om te vechten tegen een onzichtbare vijand natuurlijk.

Scholen zijn al een week dicht en hoogstwaarschijnlijk volgende week ook.

Ik raad de video's van John Campbell aan op Youtube. Hij heeft er ondertussen 12 gemaakt nav het 2019-nCoV en geven een duidelijk beeld van de situatie, zonder in nonsens te vervallen (alleen evidence based).

Op dit moment weinig aan toe te voegen.

Ik ken die video’s niet maar ga die zeker vandaag bekijken.

Ik woon in een provincie (Khanh Hoa) waar in Nha Trang al in een vroeg stadium twee besmettingsgevallen waren en dus onder extra toezicht staat. Ik hou daar zeker rekening mee. Voorlopig beperk ik mijn tripjes tot de nabije omgeving.

Wat mij wel opviel: berichten over het hamsteren van mondkapjes en het uitdelen van boetes door exorbitante prijzen daarvoor te rekenen. Als je dan dit bericht in de AD-app leest… Zie Privacy settings

Terug
Bovenaan Onderaan