Vietnam Deel 2

Kerk (3)

Ach ja…

Kerk 5.jpg
Kerk 6.jpg

Let op de tweede foto met name op de veiligheidsschoenen en -helm.

Gelukkig zit er altijd nog een veiligheidsrandje van zo te zien wel een halve meter onderaan het dak en een heleboel rekstokken waaraan hij rondjes kan draaien vóór het neerkomen van zijn afsprong. O-)

Laatst bewerkt:
30-year-old tradition: Saigon family makes banh chung as Tet nears (1)

Banh 1.jpg

Bui Thi Hong Vinh adds water to a pot with 'banh chung' while her husband, Kim Hoai Linh, stokes a fire, in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, January 2019. Photo: Ngoc Phuong & Linh To / Tuoi Tre

A family in Ho Chi Minh City has maintained the tradition of making banh chung (square glutinous cakes) over the past three decades whenever Tet – Vietnam’s most important holiday – is just around the corner.

Bui Thi Hong Vinh said she visited the home of a man named Kim Hoai Linh in the 1990s during the last days of the lunar year in order to learn how to make banh chung, a requisite dish for Tet typically in northern Vietnam. From that very first meeting, the two became husband and wife and the Tet delicacy never ceases to be part of their family. Now, after nearly 30 years of marriage, Vinh and Linh have always made banh chung when Tet draws near, considering it a family tradition that can strengthen their bond.

Banh 2.jpg

Bui Thi Hong Vinh and her husband prepare banh chung wrapping leaves at their home in Ho Chi Minh City, January 2019. Photo: Ngoc Phuong & Linh To / Tuoi Tre

This year Vinh wanted to create 180 banh chung to be given as gifts to relatives and friends on Monday, the day when Vietnamese Kitchen Gods in folk belief make an annual heavenward trip to report household conduct and well-being.

“It’s good to wrap banh chung with all your care and attention. This would make the cakes more delicious to those who receive them,” said Vinh, who lives in District 10. She placed all the banh chung into three large pots and their cooking, lasting around ten hours, required constant attention to ensure the fire was properly moderated.

Banh 3.jpg

Bui Thi Hong Vinh uses her mouth to remove the midrib of a stachyphrynium placentarium leaf, locally known as la dong, used for wrapping banh chung. Photo: Ngoc Phuong & Linh To / Tuoi Tre

Banh 4.jpg

Children wash stachyphrynium placentarium leaves, used for wrapping banh chung, in Ho Chi Minh City, January 2019. Photo: Ngoc Phuong & Linh To / Tuoi Tre

Banh 5.jpg

Bui Thi Hong Vinh (left) and her mother-in-law prepare wrapping leaves for banh chung at their home in Ho Chi Minh City, January 2019. Photo: Ngoc Phuong & Linh To / Tuoi Tre

30-year-old tradition: Saigon family makes banh chung as Tet nears (2)

Banh 6.jpg

Bui Thi Hong Vinh puts pork and ground mung beans onto rice to make banh chung. Photo: Ngoc Phuong & Linh To / Tuoi Tre

Banh 7.jpg

A woman puts pork and ground mung beans onto rice to make banh chung. Photo: Ngoc Phuong & Linh To / Tuoi Tre

Banh 8.jpg

Bui Thi Hong Vinh wraps banh chung in Ho Chi Minh City, January 2019. Photo: Ngoc Phuong & Linh To / Tuoi Tre

Banh 9.jpg

A wrapped banh chung is pictured in Ho Chi Minh City, January 2019. Photo: Ngoc Phuong & Linh To / Tuoi Tre

Banh 10.jpg

Banh chung are seen inside a pot. Photo: Ngoc Phuong & Linh To / Tuoi Tre

Bron: 30-year-old tradition: Saigon family makes banh chung as Tet nears - Tuoi Tre News

Het zijn wat veel foto’s maar dit is iets wat rond TET in heel Vietnam wordt gedaan. Dus leek het me een goed idee om het gehele proces te laten zien. Jawel, ik had ook zelf een reeks foto’s kunnen maken. Volgende keer.

Ook wij krijgen ieder jaar rond deze tijd veel verzoeken om de bladeren van de bananenbomen in onze tuin te mogen afsnijden. Maar we hebben al een vaste afnemer: Hồng, de kokkin van de minority-kinderen.

Leerlingen van Minh brengen dit ook vaak mee als presentje. We zullen dus niet verhongeren rond TET, zelfs al zijn alle winkels gesloten. Inmiddels hebben we er al een paar ontvangen, evenals 2 Vietnamese worsten, 2 kippen en wat dozen met koekjes en kaakjes.

Hue rijstwijn

Deze bijdrage is van Minh. De foto’s komen van internet. Ook dit is een traditie, net als de banh chung van de vorige twee posts.

Deze Tet gaf mijn schoonzus wat rijstwijn die ze zelf heeft gemaakt volgende het recept van mijn moeder.

Mijn moeder maakte vroeger voor Tet altijd rijstwijn voor familie en gasten. Witte kleefrijst wordt gekookt, gekoeld en gemengd met gist. Vervolgens wordt het in kleine stukjes geperst en in een grote glazen pot gedaan. Normaal gesproken is het vocht uit de kleefrijst genoeg voor de wijn. Wie meer wijn wil hebben voegt wat extra water en suiker toe. De rijst gaat gisten.

Wijn 1.jpg

Na ongeveer 6 dagen is de wijn klaar en kan gebotteld worden. Deze wijn is zoet en geurig, als een milde, melkachtige witte mousse en is zeer goed voor de spijsvertering.

Wijn 2.jpg

De resterende kleefrijst kan daarna worden gegeten.

Wijn 3.jpg

De bevolking in het zuiden gebruikt witte kleefrijst, die uit het noorden gebruiken vaak paarse kleefrijst om paarse rijstwijn te hebben.

Wijn 4.jpg

Aanvulling Fred
Vanuit eigen ervaring kan ik inmiddels “volmondig” bevestigen dat het goed smaakt! :+

Dit is trouwens één van de redenen dat ik de komende 1½ week niet veel de weg op zal gaan. De gemiddelde weggebruiker heeft -zeker met TET- meer van dit soort spul op dan ik in een week tot me neem.

Omgeving 24

Deze dames kon ik moeiteloos op mijn fiets passeren: ik schat, dat ze minder dan 10 km/uur reden. Een stukje verder stopte ik om wat foto’s te maken. De dames stopten ook op die plaats en toen bleek, waarom ze zo langzaam reden. De balen (rijst?) vielen er bijna af.

Vast een voorraadje ingeslagen voor TET?

Omgeving 24.jpg

Omgeving 25

Zomaar iemand, die in haar tuin stond te schoffelen. Ik zag haar bij toeval toen ik wat landschapsfoto’s maakte. Ik heb ook haar een print van de foto’s gebracht.

Omgeving 25.jpg

Australia-backed project teaches kids how to swim, save drowning victims in Vietnam’s Mekong Delta

Swim 1.jpg

A volunteer teaches a boy how to swim. Photo: Tuoi Tre

Children in the Mekong Delta province of Tien Giang have received swimming lessons as well as training on how to save drowning victims using branches of coconut trees, which are abundant in the locality, from the Australian Water Safety on the Mekong (AWSOM) Project.

Twenty AWSOM volunteering instructors came to a swimming pool of My Tho Sports Center in the namesake provincial capital the other day to teach children how to swim and help people in distress. Some elderly were among the attendees.

“Has anyone ever known of or seen a drowning victim?” Matthew, one of the volunteers, asked through a translator as he jumped into the pool. “What do you do when it happens?”

One could hear students of the local Sao Sang kindergarten answering at the same time, “Call adults for help” or “help”….

The volunteers told the kids that the situation can get worse if an inappropriate rescue method is applied, which may result in the rescuer also drowning. “Due to improper saving, we both drowned!” the instructors said as they demoed a case of incorrectly rescuing drowning victims, winning a big applause from the young audience.

Swim 2.jpg

“If the victim is near the shore, we can give the victim a rope or a tree branche to hold onto as we slowly pull him or her ashore,” the Australian volunteer said. “But do not forget to lay down to avoid being pulled into water by the victim,” the instructor warned as he continued the demo with a branch of coconut tree. Following the instruction, all of the participants, old and young, managed to finish the practice successfully.

“It is both useful and meaningful to teach children to swim,” Tran Kim Phan, one of the teachers of Bong Sen Kindergarten whose students participated in the free event, said. Helping children to realize they have a misconception on how a drowning victim should be saved and teaching them the correct rescue method through demos is a great way to help them understand and r memorize what needs to be done, the teacher added.

Swim 3.jpg

The Australian Water Safety on the Mekong (AWSOM) Project was launched in 2012 as a result of a successful volunteer tour to Vietnam in January 2012. The My Tho City People's Committee has requested the project's ongoing assistance with the enormous task of ensuring the children in the region are provided with essential water safety skills and education.

Thirty two children drown daily in Vietnam, according to 2012 statistics by The Alliance for Safer Children.

Bron: Australia-backed project teaches kids how to swim, save drowning victims in Vietnam’s Mekong Delta - Tuoi Tre News

Gezien het grenzeloze gebrek aan ook maar enige vorm van enthousiasme of medewerking bij bewoners en overheid bij vragen/klachten (pest-herrie) en voorstellen (bv. een waterinstallatie voor het dorp in mijn begin-periode hier. Ik was al bezig met een serieuze sponsor, maar de mensen hier wilden niets aan onderhoud doen. “Het water is goed want je ziet er niets in”.) ben ik niet meer van plan om ook nog maar iets te doen: “ik weet niets meer, ik kan niets meer, ik doe niets meer”. Een soort van algehele amnesie op vrijwel elk gebied en een variant op de drie aapjes.

Dit kost wel moeite want dit is niet echt mijn normale opstelling. Al helemaal niet bij dit onderwerp: ik heb jarenlang bij de Rotterdamse Reddings Brigade gezwommen. Ik ben al eerder bezig geweest om te kijken of hier een zwembad kon komen ( Vietnam Deel 2 ) en heb –tevergeefs- met andere organisaties contact gelegd (Vietnam Deel 2 ).

Maar nee, zo lang de pest-herrie-makende aso’s hier de macht hebben en dat alom wordt geaccepteerd als "normaal gedrag" geloof ik het verder allemaal wel. Veranderen zal er toch niets. Hooguit ten slechte. |(

Het zij zo...

Vissaus

Naar aanleiding van mijn tirade van eergisteren moest ik terugdenken aan toen we in de wijde omgeving van Nha Trang rondkeken naar een stukje land. Op een gegeven moment hadden we een vrij groot stuk gevonden, de voorkant aan een op dat moment betrekkelijk rustige, want na ca. 5 km. doodlopende weg, en aan de achterkant een brede rivier.

Visioenen van een bootje, vers gevangen vis, BBQ, etc. 8-)

Er waren “slechts” twee probleempjes.

Het gerucht ging dat er op termijn aan de achterkant langs de rivier een nieuwe weg zou worden gemaakt, waarbij gewoon een deel van je land zonder vragen wordt ehh… “hergebruikt”. Geen idee trouwens of die weg er al ligt: ik ben al een paar jaar niet meer langs geweest.

Op het land naast waar wij rondkeken was een vissausfabriekje. En die troep die meurt, vreselijk. “Ach”, zei de man die ons rondleidde, “je bent buitenlander, dus als je klaagt is het zo weg”.

:+ :+ :+ :+ :+

We zien nu wat er echt gebeurt als zelfs een groot aantal dorpsbewoners klaagt over de pestherrie (en ik dit stukje schrijf met basgedreun vanaf dit keer (“slechts” |( ) twee kanten).

Inderdaad: helemaal niets…

Gelukkig was ik toen al niet zo naïef… O-)

PS. Iets vergelijkbaars hoorden we bij het bekijken van een ander stuk land. Daar had men het over "op een kleine 100 m. afstand komt een nieuwe weg". Heeft nog een paar jaar geduurd maar klopte als een bus, dit is nu de grote weg naar Dalat. Saved by the bell.

Laatst bewerkt:
The art of motorbike repairs in Vietnam

Bike 1.jpg

A man repairs a motorbike for free during a rainstorm in Da Nang in December 2018. Photo: Doan Nhan / Tuoi Tre

Well you got caught with a flat? Well, how 'bout that

Well babies, don't you panic

By the light of the night, it'll all seem alright

I'll get you a Satanic mechanic
(Lyrics from the Rocky Horror Show)

You hear that chunk and feel the dump and know you’re in trouble. Yes, it’s that wonderful time when you get a flat tire and need to find the repair shop pronto. Murphy’s Law (anything that can go wrong will go wrong!) applies here: 1) it nearly always happens when you are the furthest away from a repair shop; 2) it will happen when you are in a hurry to get somewhere; or 3) just when you’ve achieved that perfect mood to get through the day (A note for English learners – ‘tire’ is used in America and Canada, however most of the rest of the world spells it ‘tyre’ – the rubber outside part of a wheel.)

Bike 2.jpg

A mechanic repairs a motorbike for free during a rainstorm in Da Nang in December 2018. Photo: Doan Nhan / Tuoi Tre

Your magic words will be ‘sửa chữa’ (pronounced sue-a/chew-a) and you’ll see some version of the word outside most shops in urban settings. Out in the countryside, it gets trickier as the repair shop can be anything from a half-hidden bamboo shack to a fancy place with a million dismantled bikes blocking half the road outside. After the sun goes down, it’s even tougher to find unless you can say the magic words and be led to anywhere with a shop front.

I remember a few years ago I got a flat at about 9:30 pm on the coastal road from Da Nang back to Hoi An. A neighbor woke the local mechanic who rang another guy to get a new inner tube, replaced the damaged tube and charged me 400,000 dong. I didn’t object in any way as he was going out of his way – and could have easily said ‘No’ to me. Who wants to push a bike in the middle of the night along a dangerous highway? Sometimes you just have to be grateful that you can get repairs and gas for the motorbike and enough money on you to do this!

Still it’s all cheap enough. After that experience, I went to my local Yamaha dealership in Hoi An and got the tube replaced again – 100,000 dong for parts and labor. The funny part to me is the difference between the professionals and side alley mechanics. Dirt, fumes and tools splashed across the floor are standard for these local guys servicing the outlying areas far from the company service centers while the Yamaha shop seemed even cleaner than many repair shops I’ve been to in Australia! Noise is the other factor. The mechanic up the road from my place uses an old power socket drill constantly and it’s deafening. Meanwhile the Yamaha boys hardly even use the socket drill; maybe the Yamaha boys are stronger using a wrench?

Yet I cop criticism every time I go to the Yamaha shop for not changing my oil or the condition of my tyres. Hey, I’m the one who’s noticed that and brought it to you to repair, remember? They just snigger at my indignation. But at least I make the effort to keep the motorbike roadworthy. It’s staggering to me how many bikes on the roads have broken headlights, non-functioning indicators and barely working brakes. Even scarier when I know how many tourist vans in Hoi An have at least one broken rear brake light or indicator…

Bike 3.jpg

A mechanic stands beside a sign saying motorbike repair was offered free of charge during a rainstorm in Da Nang in December 2018. Photo:Doan Nhan / Tuoi Tre

Around Tet, I try to stay off the roads as much as possible as the locals are doing silly things in the traffic. However, around this time of year, staying in tune with the idea of house painting for the New Year, I like to buy an entire new set of panels to doll up the bike and impress the neighbors that I’m not a slob. Shininess is next to a puffed-up ego in my book.

Thank heavens, as all of this costs next to nothing for me compared with the hundreds of dollars that could easily be spent in Australia on keeping the bike on the road. Even better when I can cross the road and have a beer and a smoke while I’m waiting for the repairs to be done. Can’t do that in Australia, pfft!

In the meantime, I wish everyone a happy Tet holiday and may you all be safe on the road and smart enough to wear a helmet and your driving license ready for the cong an!

Bron: The art of motorbike repairs in Vietnam - Tuoi Tre News

Post-Tet commute from Mekong Delta to Saigon plagued by congestion

Post 1.jpg

People travel from the Mekong Delta to Ho Chi Minh City on February 11, 2019, the last day of the Lunar New Year holiday. Photo: Tuyet Kieu / Tuoi Tre

Residents in Mekong Delta provinces in southern Vietnam once again went through an agonizing journey back to Ho Chi Minh City as many routes were seriously overloaded and congested on Sunday, the last day of the Lunar New Year festival. Public workers in Vietnam were given days off from February 2 to 10 to celebrate the Southeast Asian country’s biggest holiday and were scheduled to resume their work on Monday.

The post-Tet rush was no less appalling for the Mekong Delta residents, who previously also had to go through heavy traffic jams to return to their hometowns from Ho Chi Minh City to be with their families during the long break. With the nine days of celebration ending on Sunday, it was time they embarked on another tough journey back to the southern metropolis for work. The Mekong Delta consists of Can Tho City and 12 provinces.

Post 2.jpg

A traffic jam occurred on the road leading to My Thuan Bridge in Vietnam’s Mekong Delta on February 11, 2019. Photo: Chi Quoc / Tuoi Tre

While some decided to come back to the metropolis early in order to avoid traffic jams, the majority still waited until the last festive day to start the journey, and thus were inevitably caught in excruciating congestion en route to Ho Chi Minh City.

According to the observation of Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper reporters, gridlock occurred at such hotspots as Rach Mieu Bridge, which connects Ben Tre and Tien Giang Provinces, Dong Tam and Luong Phu Intersections in Tien Giang, and N2 Road in Long An Province. Commuters, however, considered these locations the “easier parts” of their journeys, as the most severe bottleneck was at My Thuan, a 1.53-kilometer bridge linking Tien Giang and Vinh Long Provinces.

post 3.jpg

An alternative route is also congested. Photo: Chi Hanh / Tuoi Tre

To make matters worse, a 29-seater passenger bus broke down in the middle of the bridge at around 9:30 am on Sunday, resulting in further congestion that lingered well into the afternoon. Countless vehicles heading to the bridge were unable to move, forming a snarl-up that stretched as much as 40 kilometers. Other alternative routes were also jammed. “It was horrific. It took me three hours just to travel from Can Tho to the end of My Thuan Bridge, while it normally takes more than an hour,” Nguyen Van Nam, a commuter, complained.

Post 4.jpg

My Thuan Bridge was filled with vehicles as of 6:00 pm. Photo: Chi Quoc / Tuoi Tre

Dang Ngoc Chau, another resident, said he and his family members started leaving Ca Mau Province at 3:30 am. After six hours, the family only reached Vinh Long Province, about 180 kilometers from Ca Mau, Chau continued, adding that it usually takes four hours to cover the distance. According to Senior Lieutenant Colonel Nguyen Van Dung, deputy chief of traffic police in Vinh Long, congestion in the province was slightly alleviated as of 5:00 pm on Sunday, as vehicles started to be able to move at a slow pace.

Post 5.jpg

Motorcyclists travel to Ho Chi Minh City at 9:00 pm. Photo: Chi Quoc / Tuoi Tre

Traffic police units exerted their best efforts to ease the situation but it did not appear to be effective. As of 9:00 pm the same day, a large number of commuters could still be spotted along the Mekong Delta - Ho Chi Minh City route. Many motorcyclists decided to take a break at cafés and diners along the roads, while some even considered spending the night at local hotels.

Bron: Post-Tet commute from Mekong Delta to Saigon plagued by congestion - Tuoi Tre News

Heb ik gisteren een poosje over lopen nadenken. En ik weet het niet.

Natuurlijk neemt een auto meer plaats in dan een motorrijder. Maar de laatste hebben de zeer onhebbelijke gewoonte om zodanig te rijden dat kruispunten in no-time geblokkeerd zijn. En voorrang geven om de zaak vrij te maken is een volstrekt onbekend begrip hier.

Allemaal in een auto, het woord carpoolen in het Vietnamees vertalen, ik durf op voorhand niet te beweren dat het dan slechter zal worden.

Ook niet beter trouwens. O-)

Heb ik gisteren een poosje over lopen nadenken. En ik weet het niet.

Natuurlijk neemt een auto meer plaats in dan een motorrijder. Maar de laatste hebben de zeer onhebbelijke gewoonte om zodanig te rijden dat kruispunten in no-time geblokkeerd zijn. En voorrang geven om de zaak vrij te maken is een volstrekt onbekend begrip hier.

Allemaal in een auto, het woord carpoolen in het Vietnamees vertalen, ik durf op voorhand niet te beweren dat het dan slechter zal worden.

Ook niet beter trouwens. O-)

Wij wonen in Tay Ho, Hanoi. Hier zijn redelijk wat Vietnamezen 'gepromoveerd' tot auto eigenaar en ik kan uit ervaring vertellen dat het wel een stuk erger wordt.
Ze rijden namelijk auto zoals ze brommer rijden. Waar een kruispunt vol brommers nog wel loskomt (uit chaos ontstaat orde) gebeurd dit bij een kruispunt vol auto's niet.

Ook leuk zijn smalle weggetjes waar slechts één auto door past (één richting verkeer kennen ze niet). Wij maken dicht bij huis geregeld mee dat twee auto's neus aan neus staan en beiden weigeren achteruit te rijden. Ze blijven gerust een uur staan totdat de politie komt die vervolgens één van de twee verplicht tot achteruit rijden (degene met de minst goede connecties over het algemeen).

Overigens verbaasd het me allemaal niks omdat ik ook geregeld 'lesauto's' zie rijden. Blijven toeteren wordt letterlijk aangeleerd. Ik heb zelfs een keer mogen aanschouwen hoe achteruit inparkeren werd aangeleerd, deed me het meest denken aan de parkeer scene uit de film 'Snatch' ('Snatch - Parking Skills' op youtube).

Rijkwaliteiten Z-O Azie: Was niks, is niks en wordt niks ;)

Een maandje Vietnam: september 2018 (intro)

Ton, die al eerder wat stukjes heeft geschreven over zijn bezoeken aan Vietnam, heeft het klavier weer ter hand genomen en wat eerste belevenissen ingeklopt over zijn laatste bezoek.

We zien hopelijk een eventueel vervolg vanzelf wel verschijnen.

Een maandje Vietnam: september 2018 (1)

Mijn naam is Ton uit Holland en bezoek nu voor de vijfde keer Vietnam. Om mijn ervaringen in één column weer te geven zal niet lukken dus zal ik het over een aantal aparte opéénvolgende stukken verdelen. De eerste keer dat ik naar Vietnam ging was in 1999 om mijn vriend Fred te bezoeken die daar toen van een sabbatical genoot.

Meestal start ik m’n bezoek in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) om eerst te wennen aan de temperatuur en drukte om daarna relaxed m’n reis te kunnen starten. Nu, in 2018, vallen mij een aantal dingen direct op zoals: het nog drukker geworden verkeer, auto’s, brommers, motoren, (minder fietsen) voetvolk en andere vehikels.

Ton 1.jpg

Bijna iedereen lijkt nu ook een smartphone te bezitten en vooral de meisjes maken veel selfies of foto’s van elkaar als ware zij fashion-modellen. Je ziet ook veel minder traditionele kleding maar het oogt juist heel eigentijds. Preuts lijkt het geenszins want de korte rokjes zijn geliefd. Zien en gezien worden?

Door m’n bezoeken in voorgaande jaren weet ik al aardig de weg te vinden en zeker in het Centrumgebied (District 1). Wat ook opvalt is de grote bouwactiviteit. Hoge moderne warenhuizen, zoals bijvoorbeeld het Saigon Center, dat samen met een Japanse belegger (Takashimaya) is gebouwd, valt op.

Ton 2.jpg

Glimmende marmeren vloeren op de vele etages, lijkt van alles te koop.
Ton 3a.jpg

Omgeving 28

Vrachtvervoer met bijrijder (m/v?)…

En ja, er is hier een helmplicht. Niet dat men zich er ook maar iets van aantrekt…
Een ruwe schatting van mij is dat hier in de omgeving 30-50% zonder helm rijdt, maar met petje, punthoedje of gewoon blootshoofds.

Omgeving 28.jpg

Terug
Bovenaan Onderaan