Hayden: 1000cc rules not total solution

dionnor

Die hard MF'er
17 sep 2006
Zoetermeer
GO TO EARLIER STORY GO TO THE NEWS INDEX

Hayden: 1000cc rules not total solution
By Toby Moody and Matt Beer Wednesday, September 8th 2010, 17:49 GMT

Nicky Hayden has warned that switching to 1000cc engines in 2012 will not improve MotoGP's spectacle unless rider aids are reduced at the same time.

MotoGP has received plenty of criticism for the declining level of action in its races in recent years, with many arguing that the switch from 990cc to 800cc engines in 2007 is the root cause.

The series will move to 1000cc power units in 2012, but Hayden does not think increasing the engine size alone will cure MotoGP's problems.

"If they don't limit the electronics, it's not going to be any different," said Hayden. "It's just that simple. It will be no different.

"I don't want to get the fans' hopes up too much.

"Electronics are going to be no different. There will be a little bit more torque, but as far as corner entry, and the tyres being as good as they are, I don't think it will be much more [spectacular]."

He admitted that he had no idea how to tackle the rising influence of rider aid devices.

"I don't know if there's a way to do it, because that's going to be a big job," said the 2006 world champion.

But Hayden does believe that the 1000cc engines might at least be more suited to his riding style.

"I think if they had a bit more torque, it won't be so much like a 250cc [style], you could definitely pick it up," he said. "I don't think it will be back to as much as before [the 800cc rules], but a little bit more."

He added that Ducati was already pouring resources into its 1000cc bike for 2012, and that there would be few changes from the 2010 to the 2011 design as a consequence.

"I've love to hear they're doing both - and they are doing both," said Hayden. "But to build a completely new bike for 2012, I've been to the factory and they've got a lot of guys already working on it, they're starting from zero. I think next year's bike will be a little bit different [to 2011], but not a lot different."

Hayden insisted that despite focusing on 2012, Ducati would make sure it provided Valentino Rossi with a competitive bike when he joined next season.

"I'm sure they're not going to want to lose with the guy," he said. "I'm sure there will be enough development for next year.

"A lot depends on what he wants when he gets to ride the bike. First they need some feedback to see what he likes, what he doesn't like, what he's looking for."

Sinds de MotoGP is overgestapt naar 800cc met alle elctronica, lijkt het steeds meer op Formule 1 :Z

De kwaliteit van de coureur wordt steeds minder belangrijk.

Wie kan zich de laatste race herinneren waarbij meerdere coureurs van begin tot het eind om de 1e plaats vochten?

Ondanks dat ik een echte MotoGP fan ben en elke wedstrijd probeer te kijken, zijn de races in de moto2, 125 cc en superbike meestal veel spannender om naar te kijken.

Oplossing:
1) motoren van een jaar oud niet vernietigen maar verhuren (= vollere startvelden)
2) electronica aan banden leggen.

Er zullen best meerdere oplossingen zijn, maar ik wil gewoon weer spannende races zien, waarbij ik op het puntje van m'n stoel zit.

Sinds de MotoGP is overgestapt naar 800cc met alle elctronica, lijkt het steeds meer op Formule 1 :Z

De kwaliteit van de coureur wordt steeds minder belangrijk.

Wie kan zich de laatste race herinneren waarbij meerdere coureurs van begin tot het eind om de 1e plaats vochten?

Ondanks dat ik een echte MotoGP fan ben en elke wedstrijd probeer te kijken, zijn de races in de moto2, 125 cc en superbike meestal veel spannender om naar te kijken.

Oplossing:
1) motoren van een jaar oud niet vernietigen maar verhuren (= vollere startvelden)
2) electronica aan banden leggen.

Er zullen best meerdere oplossingen zijn, maar ik wil gewoon weer spannende races zien, waarbij ik op het puntje van m'n stoel zit.

Een oude insteek van de racesport was om technische vooruitgang te stimuleren, nu zijn we aangeland bij een punt waar het meeste rendement gehaald kan worden uit het optmaliseren van de rijder-performance. Zorgen dat een rijder continu dichter bij de grens kan rijden. Ook de resultaten hiervan sijpelen door naar de normale markt zodat het daar de veiligheid van de normale rijder ten goede komt. Persoonlijke kwaliteiten, of terkortkomingen worden hierdoor helaas gefilterd en verschillen afgevlakt.

Teruggaan naar een tijdperk zonder de driving aids verhoogt het gevaar, maar zorgt wel weer voor het spektakel en het bovendrijven van de rijderskwaliteiten die het kampioenschap interessanter maken.. maar je zet daarmee ook een soort van rem op de technische evolutie. Daarbij dan ook nog het verhogen van het gevaar voor de rijders ten behoeve van vermaak van het publiek.. maken dat het wel een behoorlijk omstreden en lastige beslissing is.. :P

dat gezegd hebbende, van mij mag het er per direct vanaf.. :+

Wie kan er rijden op een machine met 230/250pk zonder electronica?

Die bestaat niet.

Volgens mij lukte het de heren coureurs wel op een 990cc .

Je weet wel, in de tijd dat de bochtensnelheid misschien wat lager lag, maar je de coureurs wel zwaar driftend de bocht uit zag komen en bij de finish vaak meedere coureurs slechts binnen enkele seconden van elkaar finishten.

Nu zit je naar een race met slechts 17 motoren te kijken waarbij het veld meestal binnen 5 ronden uit elkaar getrokken is.

Vroeger was niet alles beter, maar de MotoGP/500cc wel.

Wie kan er rijden op een machine met 230/250pk zonder electronica?

Die bestaat niet.

och, daar zijn wel weer trucs op te verzinnen met het afstellen van gasreactie, vermogen terugbrengen in de eerste paar versnellingen, etc. bovendien worden het nooit meer de moordmachines met de powerband van de 2-takts.. en daar ging men ook aardig mee rond..

Meerdere coureurs hebben al aangegeven dat de 800cc machines niet te berijden zijn zonder elektronica...........
Dat wordt met de 1000cc niet anders helaas.

Meerdere coureurs hebben al aangegeven dat de 800cc machines niet te berijden zijn zonder elektronica...........
Dat wordt met de 1000cc niet anders helaas.
toch kan er wel wat af , nu dit jaar de launchcontrol (of hoe je het ook schrijft) er af is vind ik de starts al leuker :Y

Een beetje kan er wel af ja maar het zal nooit zonder worden.....

Rossi denkt er trouwens hetzelfde over!

Rossi: Traction Control Must Be Curtailed

Outside of his motorhome last night at the Indianapolis MotoGP race, reigning world champion Valentino Rossi railed against electronic rider aides used in MotoGP. Rossi, in his signature machine-gun style of talking, said major steps need to be taken to curtail the control that the MotoGP's ECU has over the machine.

"I think this is a big problem for MotoGP," Rossi said, echoing statements made last week by Kenny Roberts Junior "because the races are very boring. So we lose our best card, especially compared to Formula One, because until 2006, with Michelin and Bridgestone, but 1000 engines, less electronics, f***, the races were unbelievable. So a lot, a lot of people stay (glued) with the television, because you know that for sure MotoGP will be a great excitement."

"When Bridgestone arrive, 800 arrive, and this amount electronic arrive, make these race very, very boring. So is like sleeping, like with Formula One. So I hope that they have (this in mind). Not for next year, because for next year (the rules are) the same, but for 2012, when they have to make new rules for the 1000, take out some electronic, take out some anti-wheelie, take out some anti-spin."

Rossi remains the most powerful voice in MotoGP racing and his opinions carry huge weight in Barcelona.

"The people want to see the bike that ...wheelieing, make slide," he said. "(Racing now) is like the remote control, no? The rider cannot make any more difference. On the last lap, if you have 1.5 second or two second, you remain with 1.5 or two second. Maybe you gain 0.5. But before, you gain 0.5 in two laps, when you are in a good shape with good setting. Now, is like everybody the same, because all the acceleration, all the anti-wheelie, is control from the bike."

"So I hope for fix this problem ...its not enough just (increase capacity to )1000. The problem is the electronic."

Blijkbaar weet iedereen wat het probleem is van de saaie races (rijders, toeschouwers, en hoogst waarschijnlijk de fabrikanten en Dorna ook, al hoor je die daar niet over)

Wat is dan het probleem om er wat aan te doen?

nee, het probleem is dat er geen oplossing komt :?
toch, of eh, snap ik het nu niet? :P

Terug
Bovenaan Onderaan