Motorally in Cambodja

3 jan 2005
Gent
Ik heb vandaag een mail gekregen voor een motorally in redelijk extreme omstandigheden. Voor zij die intresse hebben:

Hi All

Thanks for taking a interest in our tours.
Sorry for being late getting this info out ,So in order to speed things up I have sent you every bit of information I have about the 2006 extreme rally including disclaimers ,what to bring and a FAQ list.

This is no luxury tour,It is a rally ( non Competitive ) and different from a tour .You can check out the differences below.
So read all I have written below,so there is no misunderstanding on what I am offering.
If your happy with everything and your interested in joining the rally get those flights confirmed / booked,send me all the names and flight details then I will get back to you with the deposit details and methods of payments.

Should you have any further questions or queries just let me know and I will get back to you ASAP.
Hopefully I will get out a rally update in the next few weeks and in addition give you some more info on our other upcoming rides ( dates are on the website )

Look forward to hearing from you.

Ben Laffer

Tour Leader

Angkor dirt bike tours
Ben@toursintheextreme.com

TOURS IN THE EXTREME.com
Presents The 8th

Extreme Rally Raid 2006
Tiger Territories
Extreme Rally Raid # 8
Cambodia

January 14 th 2006

12 Days
2000 KM +
$1500 USD
Ancient temples
visit remote goldmines
Ride to the Laos Border
Ride to the Thai Border
Ride to the Vietnamese border
Crossing rivers in dug out canoes
Sleep in ancient over grown temples deep in the jungle
Ride through the jungle of the cardomen Mountains to Koh Kong
Visit the temples ok Koh Ker,Preah Karn,Preah Vihear,Angkor Wat and others
This price includes Bikes,fuel,food ,accommodation and our own collectable race jersey,designed and made in Australia ( no cheap T shirts here )

Hi all

Want to do something different this upcoming Christmas Break ? Feel the need to go dirt bike riding and get away for a while ?

Well heres your chance .Come and join this years Extreme Rally Raid now in its 8th year, soon we will be seeking deposits to secure your place in this years event. Now before taking the next step please read everything below there is over 20 pages of info here,so make sure you know what we are offering here.

Not your Average Rally

For those of you not familiar with our rally or our company ,let me state right upfront we are not your usual tour company and this rally is like not like, anything that you may have experienced before.

100`s of people have ridden our rallies and all are unanimous in the opinion that this event is truly unique.

Sure there are still a few untouched area's around the world where no foreigners travel to ,but they are few and far between. These days you can be at base camp Mt Everest and still have people trying to sell you a can of coke. We on the other hand can take you to places where there are no roads, no cars, Perfect dirt bike territory.

On the other hand we also pass through a few provincial capitals( not to mention Siem Reap ,home to the world famous temples of Angkor Wat ) during our travels so there are hot showers and cold beers available along the way during certain sections of the rally.

The Rally

After 7 years this annual motorcycle rally has covered over 14,000 Km of roads,trails,and ox cart tracks,we have had over 250 riders join us,we have handed out over 3100 mosquito nets courtesy of W.H.O,delivered anti malaria tablets and de-worming tablets in remote villages and more.Nobody knows Cambodia's jungle tracks or covered as many kilometres as us on dirt bikes.;yet there are still areas that rarely get visitors and this year we are going to try to spend the first 3/4 days trying to find our way through some of these more remote areas if possible,( NO Guarantees are given that we will find the correct route,but half the fun is getting from A to B ). So If you want to see the real Cambodia with the advantage of having a guide with a full set of motorcycle spare parts,a seniors first aid certificate and of course a first aid kit,and 10 years experience riding around Cambodia then consider joining us for the full 12 day, 2000 km ride.Or if time and money is short just come for the first 5 days.

Experienced dirt bikers only need apply for the full 12 days. But for those that would like to sample the circus that is an Extreme Rally Raid, the Raid can be broken down into five, nine or 12 day segments, with easy returns to Phnom Penh, so if you've made the first five days why not press on and see if you can push your own limits to the Extreme..

SINCE THE OPENING OF THIS AREA IT IS SAFE TO SAY LESS THAN 100 RIDERS HAS TRAVELLED any route we undertake AND MOST OF THOSE HAVE TRAVELLED WITH US, THIS AREA CONTAINS SE ASIA'S LAST UNTOUCHED RAINFOREST, AND LIVING IN WITHIN THIS UNIQUE AREA ARE SOME OF THE LAST TIGERS OUTSIDE OF CHINA/INDIA, AND ALSO CONTAINS WILD ELEPHANTS, CROCODILES,GIBBONS AND MANY OTHER SPECIES STILL BEING DOCUMENTED.

INTERMEDIATE FOR THE FIRST 6 DAYS AND THEN BUILDING UP TO THE intermediate / EXPERT SECTIONS, LOTS OF STAMINA IS REQUIRED, RATHER THAN SKILL TO FINISH THIS RUN

Am I good enough to join the Rally

Firstly it must be stated that is a non-competitive event where everybody is able to ride at their own pace without any pressure. During our rally we have riders acting as sweepers who travel behind making sure that nobody is left behind and are also of capable of repairing the occasional flat tyre or any other difficulty that riders may find themselves in. To complete this rally it is more a matter of endurance rather a high level of skill although you must be able to ride the occasional sandy trail. In the past we have had near novices complete our rallies without incident and have only ever had 2 riders chose not to complete the first 5 days event in the seven year history of the rally.

Having said that,if you enjoy sliding around dirt roads, pulling wheelies and jumping bridges at over 100 kmh then you wont be alone.

And again if you just want to cruise along at 60 kmh and enjoy the sights we have got you covered also.

The Cost

This year the cost to international riders is $1500 USD ( not yet finalised ,hoping to bring the price down ) for the first 9 days of the rally and included in this price is motorcycle hire, petrol, meals, accommodation. However after these first nine days if you are still confident and ready for more you are more than welcome to join us for the second section as long as you pay your own way (So all up figure on $1750 USD for the full 12 days )

Ok this may look ( or is expensive ) however compared with other motorbike tours in most other countries this is a cheap deal.

As in comparison with other motorbike tour companies operating in Cambodia, well then we are slightly more expensive, however you get what you pay for and should the shit hit the fan and a situation arise,trust me we are the guys that you want to be travelling with,not some Khmer guide with no first aid experience and no idea of what to do in a critical situation, and no idea on what should be done .

Also we are still after all these years the only company to travel to the very very remote corners of Cambodia where the real adventure is.If you want to ride flat graded roads and stay in hotels every night ,that's fine,just choose another company to ride with, as that's not what we do.

The Route

Before tempting you with a few suggestions on where this years rally might travel through , currently it is too early to say where we will go,regardless where ever we go it will be fantastic and very remote.

Here are a few possibilities

Due to last years successful rally we are going to keep the same format and this year we will be heading into unknown territory for the rally and With a bit of luck we should be able to find a new route to preah vihear from Rattanikiri, ride along the border with Laos again , cross the Mekong river and continue onwards to Preah Vihear Temple that sits on the Thai Cambodia Border, should the attempt fail there is always the famous "1000 islands" in the middle of the Mekong that we go check out, and should we loose a few days we can play catch up and throw the bikes on a few speed boats and head down to Stung Treng .

I would also like to revisit the goldmines from last years rallies, I have subsequently returned to this area and taken a few rides down into the mines,totally mind blowing,I went down 200 meters under ground in a 44 gallon drum with old wheel bearings tacked on the side as wheels , riding on wooden train tracks ,much more exciting than a roller coaster ride I can assure you

Also I know most of the regular riders have done the palin to koh Kong run before with me,but it keeps changing due to erosion which makes it interesting and in fact I give it another 2 years and I think it will become almost impossible to do the last section, so I would once again like to finish off the rally with this route,and time permitting there is now a new route from palin to the half way point to koh Kong so this may also be something that we might attempt.

This is not the definite route the 2006 rally will take ,however once we do settle on a route it will probably look a bit like this ,regardless the rally will end up travelling over 2000km over the full 12 days

To find our more of the attractions visit the following link http://www.toursintheextreme.com/2002/shoptalk/destinations.php

Or Read about our past rally's at the bottom of this page

What to do now

So, if you have read this far you are obviously still interested in joining us in this unique opportunity, but before proceeding and sending us your confirmation that you wish to be sent the relevant deposit details, I suggest before doing so you check the availability of flights to Cambodia from your country of origin, as this time of year it is increasingly difficult to book flights.

If you experience difficulties getting a flight Via Thailand then try to arrive in Cambodia via the following countries I.e fly from your home country to Vietnam , Hong Kong , Kula Lumpa Or Singapore then fly onwards to CAMBODIA (Phnom Penh )

Be aware Trying to get Flights in the Month of January can be quite difficult and usually require you booking at least 3 / 4 months in advance

Once you have confirmed that you are able to arrive in Phnom Penh by the 13 th January please send me and email and I shall respond promptly with the deposit details.

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to email me.

Look forward to hearing from you

Ben Laffer

Tour Leader

Angkor dirt bike tours

www.TOURSINTHEEXTREME.com

No Licence required

1) Currently We are not yet sure if we are going to do 9 or 12 days on the yearly rally . When do you need to know this and can we still book on the rally without knowing?

No problem you can decide later or even during the course of the rally .

2) What bikes are used for the tours / rally?

Ok, as always there is a catch, we use old XR 250`s, firstly cause they make up 95% of all the dirt bikes in Cambodia , secondly they are unbreakable, and thirdly , we use to offer larger bikes, but this resulted in more accidents ,plus we prefer riders crashing at 80kmh not 140kmh. Maybe we could get away with bigger bikes in Thailand ,but here we are usually days away from help and even then it is not the best .
As for the bikes we use Late and early model Honda`s 250 XR`s ,XLR, Baja

Not exactly weapons but as you would know disc brakes back and front ,single shocks and better than a Indian bullet or a 1960`s design Russian Minsk which would be your modes of transport if you did a bike tour in India or Vietnam respectively, so with that in mind they do start to look slightly attractive.
However our main reasons for using these bikes are that 1/ they are indestructible ,2/ they are pretty much the only bike available here at a sensible price ,3/ spare parts are easy to find and lastly our main reason for using these bikes is that in the past we did in fact offer bigger bikes, however all this resulted in, was bigger crashes with bigger results.
We prefer people crashing at 70kmh not 120kmh plus.Also the hospitals here are only good at cutting stuff off, not putting things back on. And in fact as we do on most of our tours,we travel far of the beaten track, so we are usually a day or two away from help with no vehicle access at certain parts of the tour.So 250`s it is.

3) Is any protective equipment provided - boots, gloves, helmet etc or do we need to bring our own?

Ok, we can provide helmets,boots ( limited availability ) & gloves upon request , but the helmets available locally are made in Asia ,good for protecting your head from insects, branches and the sun but not sure if they would pass a standards test back home . Then there is the problem of size, if you have a rather large head ,you will definatly need to bring your own. Anyway we strongly recommend you bring your motorcycle boots so why not bring your own helmet, if you have one that is,
If you will require a helmet let me know in advance and what sizes

And whilst we are on the topic of safety gear, if you do not own a pair of real motorbike boots,then hiking boots with thick leather a stitched sole are your only alternative. No sandshoes ,no shoes with glued on soles as you will either loose a toe or be riding sole less within days.A pair of army boots will do the job ,not ideal,but sufficient.

Alternatively with prior arrangement with us if you would like to buy a pair of second hand motocross boots on eBay ( there are many around the $100 Price range ) we will be happy to buy them off you at the end of the tour / rally.

4) How many people usually go on the rally?

We use to get over 50 riders whilst we were sponsored however since large corporations have now tended to adopt a single organisation approach when handing out cash these days and throw in 911`s influence of travel patterns we average around 20 riders on each rally for the past 3 years.But in fact this is actually better,as in the last few years we have been travelling much deeper into the countryside to area's , were water and petrol is scarce and it is quite easy to buy a village out of supplies in 1 hit, resulting in a situation where there is not enough petrol available for all, so having a small group avoids this problem.

5) Is it necessary to have driving licence ?

By Cambodian law you must have a international drivers licence or a Cambodian drivers licence , however like most laws in Cambodia it really doesn't mean much and we do not require you to hold any licence.ALTHOUGH A PARTICIPANT ON ONE OF OUR TOURS MUST HAVE A REASONABLE LEVEL OF COMPETENCE AND CONFIDENCE RIDING A MOTORCYCLE,

6) Dose the price includes insurance ?

No, although insurance for the motorcycle is available at a cost of $5 per day (covers theft,injury to others, damage to bike )

7) What about damage to the Bikes ?

Firstly let me state we have never ,ever had a customers bike die on us ( correction - 1 bike in 2005 ) ,sure a few electrical problems and the occasional minor mechanical problem but nothing that we couldn't fix or work out a solution for the rider to continue the ride.

Having said that ,you will be fully responsible for the hiring and repairing of any damage to the motorcycle including engine failure should it occur.
In addition ,and as unreasonable as it sounds, should for instance a major mechanical failure happen to occur you will be responsible to pay for all costs in returning the bike to Phnom Penh and then the necessary repairs plus the daily rental fee .
Sounds unfair I know but if you have ever been to Asia you will know this is standard policy for the region.
In fact if it wasn't for insurance coverage in your home countries the same terms would probably apply in your home country.

Again don't be too concerned ,as again we have had hundreds of customers over the years and never had any major problems that couldn't be fixed by us out on the road .Not one.

Thank god for HONDAS.

Also as for damage to the bikes, you can pretty well trash the whole bike ( but please don't ) and they will rebuild it for cost using second hand parts.
Examples

Honda XR / XLR 250

Blinkers $5
Clutch lever $3-5
Brake lever $ 5-7
Tank $25-50
Forks $70-80
Piston $50

The only thing really to avoid breaking is the digital Speedo, its worth over $100 but most of the bikes don't have them anyway .

Look these are a rough guide ,but you can see compared to the prices in your home countries its a fraction of the cost

AS for spare parts I will be carrying
brake levers
clutch levers
cables
tubes & repair kit
CDI for the older XR`s
Front & rear brake pads
Spare front sprocket
Spare links
Pump
Tools and other bits and pieces

sandy tracks, you don't have to be a master on sand, but must be a little familiar with riding sandy trails.However having said that what sort of rider are you ? Do you tend to just cruise along, or do you occasionally give the bike a handful of gas when you see a fun section of road. Riding sand is about your attitude and controlling your fear.

For example if you are a confident rider who occasionally gets on the gas when conditions allow it and not a putter along sort of rider, then even with little or no sand experience you would be able to complete a intermediate tour.The thing with riding in sand is that you must travel in at least 2nd gear at high revs or 3rd gear otherwise you will always be falling off, it`s the way you must ride in sand. The other thing about riding in sand is that you constantly feel like you are going to fall off,no matter how fast you ride it. the only difference between riding in 1st gear and 3rd gear on sand is that if you ride in 1st gear you will fall off where as in third gear you feel like you are going to fall off ,but rarely do due to the physics of it, I.e. momentum ( speed ) and friction and power ( must be always at mid to high revs,no idling along in second or third gear ).

For example last year with a group of friends we tried to reach a remote temple.Several of the riders had no previous sand experience,within the first 3 km they had all picked up the tactics of riding in sand ( obviously after falling off 4 or 5 times ), except for one guy who could not over come his fear of falling off ( no matter what speed you travel on sand, the bike will always wobble around ,its just much more wobbly at slower speeds and requires much more effort from the rider to stay upright ). Well in the first 3 km one rider had fallen off at least 10 times (its only soft sand ,so it dose not hurt ) No matter how we explained to him what he was doing wrong he would not either use high rpm or try riding in second or third gear and give it a go. What took him 2 hours , 2 new clutch levers and about 10 slow get off`s took every one else 5 minuets, plus he was totally worn out and could go no further.An exceptional case ,but it high lights my point.Plus this guy was decked out in every piece of protective gear know to man,not a bad thing but it is there to protect you which should help give you confidence to ride.So from this example you can see that it really was not about his level of skill ,it was more about his attitude and not being able to control his fear ( too scared to twist the throttle , he never had the engine going over 2000 rpm ).

It must be said this guy , was certainly the worst rider I had ever seen, ( although he had spent 15 years riding a bmw on the roads in the states ). I have had complete novices ride with more confidence / ability than this guy, and this guy had a bike licence,don't know how he got it , as he would certainly not have passed a riders test in Australia which is conducted on tar roads.

8) do we need a tent per person or not at all?

Nope ,see above,but if you want to carry a tent it is your choice

9) do we need to get a visa in my home country or on arrival in Phnom Penh ?

It is up to you ,you can get a visa in PP on arrival,costs $20 USD and takes about 20 min,but bring 3 passport photos.

10) do we need special injections to come to Cambodia ?

No, but you will have to make up your own mind wether or not you should take malaria tablets.
Although we will travel to areas where malaria is present ,we are travelling in the dry season,so no water no mosquitos.

Plus at the end of the day ( malaria carrying mosquitos are most active at sun down and sun up ),we don't walk around in shorts etc. socks,long pants,t-shirt or long sleeve shirt are the way to go.
Personally long clothing and mosquito repellent if needed should do it.Usually in a night out camping under the stars I might hear 3 mossies at most, usually though I hear none.

The main difference between novice and intermediate levels is the ability to ride on sandy tracks, you don't have to be a master on sand, but must be a little familiar with riding sandy trails.However having said that what sort of rider are you ? Do you tend to just cruise along, or do you occasionally give the bike a handful of gas when you see a fun section of road. Riding sand is about your attitude and controlling your fear.

For example if you are a confident rider who occasionally gets on the gas when conditions allow it ( road or dirt ) and not a putter along sort of rider, then even with little or no sand experience you would be able to complete a intermediate tour.The thing with riding in sand is that you must travel in at least 2nd gear at high revs or 3rd gear otherwise you will always be falling off, it`s the way you must ride in sand. The other thing about riding in sand is that you constantly feel like you are going to fall off,no matter how fast you ride it. the only difference between riding in 1st gear and 3rd gear on sand is that if you ride in 1st gear you will fall off where as in third gear you feel like you are going to fall off ,but rarely do due to the physics of it, I.e. momentum ( speed ) and friction and power ( must be always at mid to high revs,no idling along in second or third gear ).Ask any rider who rides in sand if they get scared ,the answer is always yes, in deep sand I can do 120kmh,but it constantly feels like I am going to fall off, however if you can imagine a bike in mid air doing 120kmh or even 60kmh, and you tried to push it over sideways ,it would be quite hard due to the gyroscopic effect,but if the wheels were turning at 10kmh obviously it wouldn't take much to push it over.

The reality is the faster you go in sand and mud the more chance you have in staying on, unless that is you come upon a bend in the road,a rock or some other big obstacle, but I guess you understand what im getting at.

For example last year with a group of friends we tried to reach a remote temple.Several of the riders had no previous sand experience,within the first 3 km they had all picked up the tactics of riding in sand ( and of course they all fell off a few times as you do ), except for one guy who could not over come his fear of falling off ( no matter what speed you travel on sand, the bike will always wobble around ,its just much more wobbly at slower speeds and requires much more effort from the rider to stay upright ). Well in the first 3 km one rider had fallen off at least 10 times (its only soft sand ,so it dose not hurt,especially when you are travelling in first gear ) No matter how we explained to him what he was doing wrong he would not either use high rpm or try riding in third gear and give it a go. What took him 2 hours , 2 new clutch levers and about 10 slow get off`s took every one else 5 minuets, plus he was totally worn out and could go no further.An exceptional case ,but it high lights my point.Plus this guy was decked out in every piece of protective gear know to man,not a bad thing but it is there to protect you which should help give you confidence to ride.So from this example you can see that it really was not about his level of skill ,it was more about his attitude and not being able to control his fear ( too scared to twist the throttle , he never had the engine going over 2000 rpm, so he really had no chance ).

It must be said this guy , was certainly the worst rider I had ever seen, I have had complete novices ride with more confidence / ability than this guy, and this guy had a bike licence,don't know how it got it though as he would certainly not have passed a riders test in Australia which is conducted on tar roads.

If you feel like you don't have the skill / attitude to tackle sand then just let us know as we can possibly change the route /roads we travel on ,that is depending on when and which tour you choose to ride,and also things here are changing fast with new roads being repaired on a monthly basis.Which also must be factored in,For example Koh Ker temple use to take us 6 hours riding in deep sand,by November this year it should be a 1 or 2 hour ride on a good flat dirt road.

Well hope that gives you a understanding of the difference between novice and intermediate.

11) What currency is used by tourists ?

US dollars, $100 bills must be the new ones with the big heads and be in perfect condition.For tourist shopping just bring lots of $ 20. In Siem reap and Phnom Penh you can change $100 bills everywhere as long as they are unmarked.

Also carrying some local currency is handy for buying cigarettes,chewing gum or giving to the occasional beggar or street kid.

Currently 4200 riel = $1 USD
12) what are the best months for a tour

November through till February as in our experience these months have the lowest rainfall of the year and the temperature is usually around 26-28 centigrade and cool at night.
In fact the last few years riding in December/ January have been the best months ,sunny overcast days and pretty coolish at night ,almost perfect.Plus as an added bonus No rain means no mosquitos so no need for anti malaria Tablets.

13) Do you have special packing suggestions...

As above ,and depending on how you plan to carry your luggage on the bike . But I suggest you bring at least 4 bags

bum bag ( if you use them )
large day pack or full size back pack.
camelbak or simular dehydration system
Another bag to hold all your gear that will stay in Phnom Penh during your tour, or sent onwards to Siem Reap should you choose to finish your ride there.

14 ) Can we strap our bags onto the bike ?

individuals preferences and also take into account which bikes will have luggage racks.

Same applies to your bags if you wish,but I don't recommend it,firstly as not all bikes will have a luggage rack,secondly too much weight on the luggage rack can break the whole rear subframe, and thirdly odds are that almost certainly someone's bag will fall off and go missing.

Whilst I am talking about luggage ,on certain sections of the tour no water is to be tied onto the bikes, it must be carried by each rider.As mentioned everybody is to have a cammelbak or simular and in addition must carry two bottles of water ,add to this your clothes,socks,camera,toiletries,medicines, and unless you have a really big day pack you can see simply using the large backpack is more convenient.

Anyway these are my suggestions,should somebody want to try to cram everything into a day pack ( allowing space for two bottles of water ) and strap their night clothes ( they sit flat and don't fall off like a bag dose ) onto the bike then that's fine as well.

15 ) Do we need a sleeping bag ?

No. I think in total we will sleep out a total of 3 / 4 nights for the rally or depending on which tour anything from 1 to 3 nights . And if all goes to plan, we get a few nights in a real hotel in between each camp out.
In all my years or riding around Cambodia I have never used a sleeping bag and only 3 or 4 times felt the cold.
Also if you were to bring a sleeping bag you would have to carry it on the bike.

Personally ,like most of us , I like carrying the least possible so apart from spare parts,first aid kit etc. that I will be carrying for every one,packing light is the way to go.

Here is how I usually pack

I carry a set of riding cloths that I use for the whole of the trip and I carry a set of night time cloths, basically a pair of jeans , a t-shirt and a long sleeve shirt and plenty of socks.

So in a situation where we will be camping out I usually, after making a big fire , change into my night cloths ( jeans, clean t shirt + long sleeve shirt ), put a clean pair of socks on ,spread my ground sheet / poncho ( provided ) and for me that's it. In fact I usually carry a smaller bag and fill it with other cloths to make my pillow , or just use my back pack.

Having said that should you be prone to feeling the cold I recommend you bring a emergency space blanket,the tiny plastic foil ones,good for at least 4 nights if needed.

So as you can see I simply sleep directly on the ground ( we usually stop in good sandy sections on the trails ), however if that doesn't sound too tempting,let me know in advance and I will provide you with hammocks.Personally,though I can relax in a hammock,but for me sleeping in a hammock I find uncomfortable.

Alternatively you are welcome to bring along a foam sleeping mat ( or a thermal-rest ) , they are quite bulky,but at least the foam ones are cheap enough to throw away should they be a pain to carry,although as I mentioned to you in previous emails,I suggest you all carry a large backpack ,and simply half fill it, wearing it loosely and letting it sit on the back seat so you are not carrying any of the weight.If you adopt this approach carrying a foam mattress will be no hassle or you can simply strap it to the back of your bikes.Same applies to your bags if you wish,but I don't recommend it,firstly as not all bikes will have a luggage rack,secondly too much weight on the luggage rack can break the whole rear subframe, and thirdly odds are that almost certainly someone's bag will fall off and go missing.

Anyway these are my suggestions,should somebody want to try to cram everything into a day pack ( allowing space for two bottles of water ) and strap their night clothes ( they sit flat and don't fall off like a bag dose ) onto the bike then that's fine as well.

Are there any rules ?

Yes unfortunately there are a few ,however they are for safety reasons only.

1 / Unless Directly told otherwise ,Stay behind the Leader.

This is Not negotiable,In certain sections of the rally or on certain tours we are travelling in areas where there are hundreds of walking trails and ox cart tracks criss crossing all over the place , there are no signs or people and obviously no petrol or water available ( dry season ) so we don't have time or resources to go tracking down riders who decide to lead the pack ,then ultimately lose the way,we don't always take the biggest ,most obvious route.

2 / Always ride with your headlight on,whilst not in town ( its illegal to have your headlights on in daytime ,however its a great way to be seen by other vehicles ,and easy to pick out other riders in the tour from a distance )
3 / Use the horn a lot ! and I mean a lot.
4 / If you Don't see any other Fellow riders for 15 min. Stop and Wait. Put your bike in an obvious place should we be on a major road/track ( not off the road, or in a shop, or under a tree where it can not be seen ) and stay with the bike and listen . We will come to you.
5 / Let the tour leader know when your drinking water is running low ( preferably before we leave a major town or village )
6 / Bring a sense of humour

What is the difference between a rally and a tour.

Well serval things for instance on a rally

A If you ride for the more than 7 days then the rally works out a lot cheaper,but obviously there is a reason for that.

B You carry all your own gear,there is no support truck ( certain tours run with a support truck )

C And obviously with our organising / help as interpreter,after day 9 you will be paying for food,acomm,petrol out of your own pocket.

Other IMPORTANT Differences

Ok now the next two points I want to be extremely clear and honest about, so there is no misunderstanding . If after reading my explanations you have any doubts or concerns Please let me know and I will address any points or questions you may have.

Should you be injured in a non critical accident you will be expected to travel back to Phnom Penh on your own.
Look obviously this will depend on the type of injury and where it occurs and we certainly wont leave anyone behind in the middle of nowhere. But should someone break a rib or a big toe we will transport them to the nearest major road / village and organise transport for them and their bike back to Phnom Penh or SR and have someone meet them at the other end to get medical attention if required or take care of any other urgent tasks.

For the unlikely event someone is in a very bad way we can arrange for a helicopter extraction. This is a very costly exercise so make sure the person you nominate as someone to contact in case of emergency on our registration form is prepared to send a few thousand should the situation arise or check your insurance policy and make sure they have a 24 hour world wide contact number and supply us the details.

Look I hope im not scaring anybody off here, but it would be negligent of me if I didn't mention it now.
Out of the hundreds or riders that have ridden with us there has only been 1 incident where we went through this whole drama and it wasn't a critical situation, the guy in question simply had ,had enough ,wasn't meant to be in Cambodia in the first place and had plenty of cash to cover the cost of the helicopter.

Remember this is a non competitive rally so unless your doing 110 KMH flying in and out of the trees through the jungle there should be no major problems.

Other things to do whilst in Cambodia

RELAXING MASSAGES
Get some new prescription Glasses made for next to nothing .
Shop for the latest DVD`s, Computer software,music CD`s Or load up your ipod with 2000 songs for a few dollars
Get some custom jewellery made up whilst your out on tour.
Grab some levis or diesel jeans for $10
Get a Rolex watch for $12 ( good for 1 year )
Party Hard

Angkor Dirt Bike Tours
Tours In The Extreme.com

List of Riders Equipment recommended by ADBTs

1. Helmet, gloves, motocross style riding boots and goggles.

2. medium large pack, to be worn on the back, carrying one days worth of clothes and toiletries (he who travels lightest, travel furthest) allowing space to carry 2 extra water bottles.

3. Pocket knife/pocket tool (leatherman style)

4. Water carrier, min 2 litres (we recommend the use of a CamelBak drinking system) If you choose not to use a camelbak or similar ,whatever system / method you use to carry your water it is NOT TO BE ATTACHED TO MOTORCYCLE under any circumstances.Also beware on certain sections of the rally or on certain tours you maybe required to carry 2 additional 1 litre bottles of water so make sure that you have enough room in your bag to carry them.

5. Sunglasses and clear glasses.

6. Independent Travel Insurance from your home country,(to be carried by all riders).

7. Personal Medicines (any specific medical conditions to be reported to event leader prior to departure) and anti-malarial medication should you decide to take it..

8. Photocopy of passport and current visa.

9. Waterproof bags for carrying valuables, (such as wallet)

10. sunburn cream

11. Torch / headlamp

12. mosquito repellent

13. Several pairs of thick woollen socks,nylon are unsuitable and cause blisters in our experience

14. emergency Space Blanket ( of the compact plastic foil type )

Any equipment attached to a motorcycle, no matter how securely is likely to be lost, due to the motion of travel over rough ground. All valuables (for example camera equipment) must be carried securely on the rider. All personal effects taken on an event are the responsibility of the rider.

Angkor Dirt Bike Tours can, by prior arrangement provide all of the above safety gear (with the exception of boots) to riders on tour but strongly recommend that riders bring their own helmets, gloves and personal safety equipment, as a persons own equipment is more comfortable to wear and has a familiar history.

Angkor Dirt Bike Tours Disclaimer

I ………………………………………………………………wish to participate in an outdoor recreational activity program operated by ADBT ………………………………………….. (Insert Area Name)

I understand that some of the activities in which I may participate:

· will be physically and emotionally demanding; and

· may involve a significant risk of physical harm.

My participation in any activity is voluntary and not compulsory.

I understand certain inherent risks exist in the activities in which I will be participating. Although the organisation and its instructors will provide me with appropriate directions and will endeavour to minimise my exposure to the risk of harm, these inherent risks are beyond the control of the Angkor Dirt Bike Tours , its volunteers and staff and cannot be avoided by the exercise of reasonable care and skill. Inherent risks include changes in weather conditions and difficulties in obtaining emergency medical assistance. For example, some activities will take place in remote settings, hours from the nearest medical services.

I am aware that there are some risks that are common to many or all of the activities in which I may participate, such as the risk of harm caused by varying weather conditions, by uneven or changing terrain and by native flora and fauna. However, some activities in which I may participate carry with them risks of harm that are particular to that activity, such as the following risks:

Motor bike riding

· losing control of bike and colliding with obstacles such as trees, rocks or other cyclists;

· failing to negotiate obstacles including difficult terrain;

· being required to carry bike due to nature or condition of terrain;

· falling from bike, possibly at speed;

· becoming lost;

· being exposed to the elements for long periods of time;

· being injured in an area not readily accessible for emergency services.

I authorise the Angkor Dirt Bike Tours to arrange medical treatment and emergency evacuation services on my behalf and at my cost, in the event of my injury or illness, as it deems necessary.

I understand that the Dual Sports Motorcycle Riders Association, its volunteers and staff will endeavour to keep personal items safe but that they accept no responsibility for the safekeeping of those items.

Date of Event ____/____/____ Name of Participant ____________________________________

Address ____________________________________________________________________

Phone # ________________________(mb)__________________(H)_________________(W)

Signature ____________________________________________________________________

Emergency Contact

Name ____________________________

Phone _____________________________

Terms And Conditions

The Price of this tour as stated above is $...........USD Per Person for the ...........day Ride as listed above. Any requested major deviation from this itinerary may incur extra charges. Included in this price is all entry fees, fuel, meals, accommodation on a twin share basis, bikes, and specified safety gear. Angkor Dirt Bike Tours reserves the right to alter any itineraries or route plans due to changes in the weather or other circumstances beyond our control.

Terms of Payment

We require a deposit of $300 USD per person at the time of booking and payment in full 60 days prior to the departure date.

TOUR PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE: The tour price does not include airfare, alcohol, snacks, non-meal beverages and refreshments, rest-day activities not included in our itinerary, pre-and-post tour hotel accommodations, items of a personal nature, passport and visa fees, fines, gratuities, laundry, phone/fax calls, personal insurance.

Disclaimer

Motorcycle riding and travel within Cambodia have inherent dangers of which I am aware and I the undersigned, have up-to-date independent travel/medical insurance and am physically fit and able to ride a motorcycle to a standard suited to riding in Cambodia. Angkor Dirt Bike Tours excursions are non-competitive guided tours into the Cambodian countryside. Should I suffer distress or injury, even fatal, while travelling on an Angkor Dirt Bike Tours event neither I nor any member of my family or friends shall hold Angkor Dirt Bike Tours or its employees, responsible in any way. I am responsible for all equipment loaned, rented or bought on my behalf, (such as motorcycles) as well as any equipment I choose to bring myself (such as cameras or telephones). I am in a fit state of health and have informed Angkor Dirt Bike Tours of any specific medical conditions that I suffer from (if any exist). I am aware that Angkor Dirt Bike Tours will be taking still and filmed footage of the event and agree to appear in any footage used to promote Angkor Dirt Bike Tours. Tour routes can change at the discretion of Angkor Dirt Bike Tours

MUD AND TERROR 1998

The idea had been born with sunshine in mind. All the preparations had been made with sunshine in mind. Sunshine was in fact an integral part of the plan. Just someone forgot to mention the fact to the Big Man upstairs.

Sitting in the lobby of the Mekong Hotel Kompong Cham, twenty-nine dirt bike mounted riders and the drivers and passengers of the four back-up vehicles watched as CNN almost gleefully announced that the winds of the little storm on the Vietnamese coast had hit over 120 kilometres per hour.

For the first time in living memory it was going to rain in December, and God, with a sharp sense of timing, had booked it to arrive December 12th , the start of the First Mondulkiri Rally-Raid'98.

The fun kicked off earlier that day when the tour collected together at the Olympic Stadium, site of another first, the first Open Go-Kart Championship round held in Phnom Penh. We were scheduled to do a few victory laps of the circuit somewhere in the middle of the first rounds of the races, the cyclo race and the dance session from the chipper-looking cheerleaders.

Having successfully completed a few laps (a bit early in the game to fall off, with 400 kms of the best tarmac and dirt roads in the country ahead of us), the majority of the 29 dirt bike entrants followed Big Ben, one half of the Angkor Dirt Bike Tours team, and hit the little known river road to Kompong Cham.

The Land Rover support team , headed by Glen Robinson of Cambodia Astra Motor Ltd, would then steer the Land Rover Discovery, Defender 90 and ex-army aluminium bodied 'light landie' along the main highway to our first night's rendezvous at the Mekong Hotel.

The Defender was also pulling the trailer full of supplies that included spare parts, a complete barbecue and enough food to feed this little mobile army for at least three days of the five-day expedition. The Clouds were already gathering as the last of the team pulled out of the TOTAL petrol station next to the railway station.

The idea had started sensibly enough over a few beers several months previously. Ben, myself and three other dirt bike fanatics had made one failed attempt to reach Sen Monorom a couple of years before. Now, with the much improved security situation in the countryside, we were keen to try it again. But a big trip involving more than just a hand-full of bikes would need support vehicles which also coincided with the 50th Anniversary of the birth of one of Britains best exports, the Land Rover. Supporting the Kouprey Wildlife Organization is one of the Bayon Pearnik's pet projects, so we knew that they were very active in the area. They suggested that we use the trip to distribute information to the local people on how to avoid snakebites and what to do if they do get bitten, and also use sponsorship to provide anti-venom. And so the idea began to take shape.

Mobitel generously offered to provide the money for the anti-venom. TOTAL offered fuel for the bikes and Cambodia Astra Motors got together and provided the 5000 leaflets in Khmer warning of the dangers provided by snakes and the all important Rally-Raid race jerseys.

The leaflet had originally been written in Russian , Then translated into English which Cambodia Astra then had translated into Khmer. Ace photographer David Van Der Veen was called on to capture all the golden moments while his French counterpart, Alain, snatched digital footage so we could watch each other fall off our bikes again and again. Ray and Belinda from Weldmesh volunteered to be our mobile caterers, as some of the fatter entrants were worried that such an energetic trip might rob them of their hard-earned beer bellies. Angkor Dirt Bike Tours was formed to organize the whole venture-and off we went.

It was an overcast 6am that a decidedly second-hand looking group of bikers assembled at the Mekong ferry crossing on the edge of Kompong Cham, ready to catch up with the support crew who had set off even earlier in order to make some ground on the faster moving bikers. But despite grey skies and the early hour , the mood was quietly exuberant ñ the moment had arrived, time to get seriously dirty on a virtually unbroken 280 km stretch of dirt. Excellent.

A motley collection of bikes had been assembled with the Honda XLR 250 and Baja being the most common choice, followed by the Suzuki DR 250 , a couple of Honda XR 600s and crm 250s, a DR 350 , an RMX and KID 250. The only bike to draw "tuts" of disapproval and shakes of the head from the experienced dirt stumpers being a rented Honda AXE 250, really just a modified road bike than a serious off-road tool like the rest. Then there were the Land Rovers and the Weldmesh supply trailer, of course, and a rented Mitsubishi Pager piloted by some guys working in Ho Chi Mind city who had heard about the raid and just had to go, Five guys had come from Hooch Mind, and one Phnom Penh old hand had returned specially for the rally while the most at least knew the way and that more than a handful had already ridden the road at least once. All these guys and only one woman to keep them all in line, and fed no brilliant Belinda the barbecue Queen.

The plan had been to leave Kompong Cham at first light, meet in Memo for lunch, distribute some leaflets, then meet again in Snoul where TOTAL had arranged a special petrol stop for us, before pushing on to Sen Monorom before dark.

This timetable had been formulated without including the idea of rain. This time of year is not usually called the dry season for nothing. We would still make the Memo lunch appointment and assess from there.

A comfortable night in the Mekong Hotel, which has outstanding views of the river but is unfortunately minus it's excellent balconies following renovations was rudely shattered by the sound of 28 motorcycles pulling wheelies in the car park.

The Land Rover support team was dispatched at first light. Heavily overcast the skies promised rain as the ferry was boarded, in-between forcing down the mornings first coffee. Ah, the joys of the open road. Bikers rapidly scattered ad per their own pace. Taking up the rear guard group in order to pick up stragglers feeling like a celebrity as crowds of people came onto the street to wave the cars and bikes through. But the first three hours riding was the easy bit, we had yet to see the real mud and the real rain. And there was still lunch in Memo to contend with.

The story Continues here mud and terror...

Or more stories From Past rally's here

http://toursintheextreme.com/riding_mondulkiri.php3

Ik heb vandaag een mail gekregen voor een motorally in redelijk extreme omstandigheden. Voor zij die intresse hebben:

Hi All

Thanks for taking a interest in our tours.
Sorry for being late getting this info out ,So in order to speed things up I have sent you every bit of information I have about the 2006 extreme rally including disclaimers ,what to bring and a FAQ list.

This is no luxury tour,It is a rally ( non Competitive ) and different from a tour .You can check out the differences below.
So read all I have written below,so there is no misunderstanding on what I am offering.
If your happy with everything and your interested in joining the rally get those flights confirmed / booked,send me all the names and flight details then I will get back to you with the deposit details and methods of payments.

Should you have any further questions or queries just let me know and I will get back to you ASAP.
Hopefully I will get out a rally update in the next few weeks and in addition give you some more info on our other upcoming rides ( dates are on the website )

Look forward to hearing from you.

Ben Laffer

Tour Leader

Angkor dirt bike tours

TOURS IN THE EXTREME.com
Presents The 8th

Extreme Rally Raid 2006
Tiger Territories
Extreme Rally Raid # 8
Cambodia

January 14 th 2006

12 Days
2000 KM +
$1500 USD
Ancient temples
visit remote goldmines
Ride to the Laos Border
Ride to the Thai Border
Ride to the Vietnamese border
Crossing rivers in dug out canoes
Sleep in ancient over grown temples deep in the jungle
Ride through the jungle of the cardomen Mountains to Koh Kong
Visit the temples ok Koh Ker,Preah Karn,Preah Vihear,Angkor Wat and others
This price includes Bikes,fuel,food ,accommodation and our own collectable race jersey,designed and made in Australia ( no cheap T shirts here )

Hi all

Want to do something different this upcoming Christmas Break ? Feel the need to go dirt bike riding and get away for a while ?

Well heres your chance .Come and join this years Extreme Rally Raid now in its 8th year, soon we will be seeking deposits to secure your place in this years event. Now before taking the next step please read everything below there is over 20 pages of info here,so make sure you know what we are offering here.

Not your Average Rally

For those of you not familiar with our rally or our company ,let me state right upfront we are not your usual tour company and this rally is like not like, anything that you may have experienced before.

100`s of people have ridden our rallies and all are unanimous in the opinion that this event is truly unique.

Sure there are still a few untouched area's around the world where no foreigners travel to ,but they are few and far between. These days you can be at base camp Mt Everest and still have people trying to sell you a can of coke. We on the other hand can take you to places where there are no roads, no cars, Perfect dirt bike territory.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Sed consequat nibh blandit felis. Quisque et urna. In eget risus quis orci fringilla bibendum. In libero odio, adipiscing in, porta et, viverra ac, elit. Sed pulvinar, leo ac malesuada venenatis, eros magna aliquam nibh, ac vestibulum nunc justo varius purus. Nulla sed massa. Cras semper dictum risus. Nullam molestie magna id purus. Duis dictum lorem vitae orci. Nam pede eros, euismod eu, dapibus a, elementum at, ligula. Praesent vehicula. Suspendisse tincidunt lectus nec nibh. Maecenas nisl pede, tincidunt ut, convallis sit amet, bibendum rutrum, nisi. Aliquam felis nisi, vehicula aliquam, euismod vitae, blandit in, neque. Cras a justo id ligula convallis tristique. Phasellus sed urna. Fusce ligula. Nulla accumsan, sem et molestie fringilla, lacus quam vulputate mi, sit amet dictum lectus quam volutpat eros.

Donec iaculis orci eu pede. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Morbi arcu. Pellentesque feugiat lacinia nibh. Etiam vestibulum commodo nisi. Pellentesque ultricies, turpis sed accumsan aliquam, felis leo bibendum nibh, quis consequat lectus mauris sodales lorem. Praesent justo massa, feugiat id, viverra a, imperdiet sed, est. Ut bibendum, nisl sit amet porta dignissim, sem dolor posuere turpis, id malesuada nunc massa eget leo. Curabitur ultricies hendrerit metus. In hac habitasse platea dictumst

On the other hand we also pass through a few provincial capitals( not to mention Siem Reap ,home to the world famous temples of Angkor Wat ) during our travels so there are hot showers and cold beers available along the way during certain sections of the rally.

The Rally

After 7 years this annual motorcycle rally has covered over 14,000 Km of roads,trails,and ox cart tracks,we have had over 250 riders join us,we have handed out over 3100 mosquito nets courtesy of W.H.O,delivered anti malaria tablets and de-worming tablets in remote villages and more.Nobody knows Cambodia's jungle tracks or covered as many kilometres as us on dirt bikes.;yet there are still areas that rarely get visitors and this year we are going to try to spend the first 3/4 days trying to find our way through some of these more remote areas if possible,( NO Guarantees are given that we will find the correct route,but half the fun is getting from A to B ). So If you want to see the real Cambodia with the advantage of having a guide with a full set of motorcycle spare parts,a seniors first aid certificate and of course a first aid kit,and 10 years experience riding around Cambodia then consider joining us for the full 12 day, 2000 km ride.Or if time and money is short just come for the first 5 days.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Sed consequat nibh blandit felis. Quisque et urna. In eget risus quis orci fringilla bibendum. In libero odio, adipiscing in, porta et, viverra ac, elit. Sed pulvinar, leo ac malesuada venenatis, eros magna aliquam nibh, ac vestibulum nunc justo varius purus. Nulla sed massa. Cras semper dictum risus. Nullam molestie magna id purus. Duis dictum lorem vitae orci. Nam pede eros, euismod eu, dapibus a, elementum at, ligula. Praesent vehicula. Suspendisse tincidunt lectus nec nibh. Maecenas nisl pede, tincidunt ut, convallis sit amet, bibendum rutrum, nisi. Aliquam felis nisi, vehicula aliquam, euismod vitae, blandit in, neque. Cras a justo id ligula convallis tristique. Phasellus sed urna. Fusce ligula. Nulla accumsan, sem et molestie fringilla, lacus quam vulputate mi, sit amet dictum lectus quam volutpat eros.

Donec iaculis orci eu pede. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Morbi arcu. Pellentesque feugiat lacinia nibh. Etiam vestibulum commodo nisi. Pellentesque ultricies, turpis sed accumsan aliquam, felis leo bibendum nibh, quis consequat lectus mauris sodales lorem. Praesent justo massa, feugiat id, viverra a, imperdiet sed, est. Ut bibendum, nisl sit amet porta dignissim, sem dolor posuere turpis, id malesuada nunc massa eget leo. Curabitur ultricies hendrerit metus. In hac habitasse platea dictumst

Experienced dirt bikers only need apply for the full 12 days. But for those that would like to sample the circus that is an Extreme Rally Raid, the Raid can be broken down into five, nine or 12 day segments, with easy returns to Phnom Penh, so if you've made the first five days why not press on and see if you can push your own limits to the Extreme..

SINCE THE OPENING OF THIS AREA IT IS SAFE TO SAY LESS THAN 100 RIDERS HAS TRAVELLED any route we undertake AND MOST OF THOSE HAVE TRAVELLED WITH US, THIS AREA CONTAINS SE ASIA'S LAST UNTOUCHED RAINFOREST, AND LIVING IN WITHIN THIS UNIQUE AREA ARE SOME OF THE LAST TIGERS OUTSIDE OF CHINA/INDIA, AND ALSO CONTAINS WILD ELEPHANTS, CROCODILES,GIBBONS AND MANY OTHER SPECIES STILL BEING DOCUMENTED.

INTERMEDIATE FOR THE FIRST 6 DAYS AND THEN BUILDING UP TO THE intermediate / EXPERT SECTIONS, LOTS OF STAMINA IS REQUIRED, RATHER THAN SKILL TO FINISH THIS RUN

Am I good enough to join the Rally

Firstly it must be stated that is a non-competitive event where everybody is able to ride at their own pace without any pressure. During our rally we have riders acting as sweepers who travel behind making sure that nobody is left behind and are also of capable of repairing the occasional flat tyre or any other difficulty that riders may find themselves in. To complete this rally it is more a matter of endurance rather a high level of skill although you must be able to ride the occasional sandy trail. In the past we have had near novices complete our rallies without incident and have only ever had 2 riders chose not to complete the first 5 days event in the seven year history of the rally.

Having said that,if you enjoy sliding around dirt roads, pulling wheelies and jumping bridges at over 100 kmh then you wont be alone.

And again if you just want to cruise along at 60 kmh and enjoy the sights we have got you covered also.

The Cost

This year the cost to international riders is $1500 USD ( not yet finalised ,hoping to bring the price down ) for the first 9 days of the rally and included in this price is motorcycle hire, petrol, meals, accommodation. However after these first nine days if you are still confident and ready for more you are more than welcome to join us for the second section as long as you pay your own way (So all up figure on $1750 USD for the full 12 days )

Ok this may look ( or is expensive ) however compared with other motorbike tours in most other countries this is a cheap deal.

As in comparison with other motorbike tour companies operating in Cambodia, well then we are slightly more expensive, however you get what you pay for and should the shit hit the fan and a situation arise,trust me we are the guys that you want to be travelling with,not some Khmer guide with no first aid experience and no idea of what to do in a critical situation, and no idea on what should be done .

Also we are still after all these years the only company to travel to the very very remote corners of Cambodia where the real adventure is.If you want to ride flat graded roads and stay in hotels every night ,that's fine,just choose another company to ride with, as that's not what we do.

The Route

Before tempting you with a few suggestions on where this years rally might travel through , currently it is too early to say where we will go,regardless where ever we go it will be fantastic and very remote.

Here are a few possibilities

Due to last years successful rally we are going to keep the same format and this year we will be heading into unknown territory for the rally and With a bit of luck we should be able to find a new route to preah vihear from Rattanikiri, ride along the border with Laos again , cross the Mekong river and continue onwards to Preah Vihear Temple that sits on the Thai Cambodia Border, should the attempt fail there is always the famous "1000 islands" in the middle of the Mekong that we go check out, and should we loose a few days we can play catch up and throw the bikes on a few speed boats and head down to Stung Treng .

I would also like to revisit the goldmines from last years rallies, I have subsequently returned to this area and taken a few rides down into the mines,totally mind blowing,I went down 200 meters under ground in a 44 gallon drum with old wheel bearings tacked on the side as wheels , riding on wooden train tracks ,much more exciting than a roller coaster ride I can assure you

Also I know most of the regular riders have done the palin to koh Kong run before with me,but it keeps changing due to erosion which makes it interesting and in fact I give it another 2 years and I think it will become almost impossible to do the last section, so I would once again like to finish off the rally with this route,and time permitting there is now a new route from palin to the half way point to koh Kong so this may also be something that we might attempt.

This is not the definite route the 2006 rally will take ,however once we do settle on a route it will probably look a bit like this ,regardless the rally will end up travelling over 2000km over the full 12 days

To find our more of the attractions visit the following link http://www.toursintheextreme.com/2002/shoptalk/destinations.php

Or Read about our past rally's at the bottom of this page

What to do now

So, if you have read this far you are obviously still interested in joining us in this unique opportunity, but before proceeding and sending us your confirmation that you wish to be sent the relevant deposit details, I suggest before doing so you check the availability of flights to Cambodia from your country of origin, as this time of year it is increasingly difficult to book flights.

If you experience difficulties getting a flight Via Thailand then try to arrive in Cambodia via the following countries I.e fly from your home country to Vietnam , Hong Kong , Kula Lumpa Or Singapore then fly onwards to CAMBODIA (Phnom Penh )

Be aware Trying to get Flights in the Month of January can be quite difficult and usually require you booking at least 3 / 4 months in advance

Once you have confirmed that you are able to arrive in Phnom Penh by the 13 th January please send me and email and I shall respond promptly with the deposit details.

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to email me.

Look forward to hearing from you

Ben Laffer

Tour Leader

Angkor dirt bike tours

www.TOURSINTHEEXTREME.com

No Licence required

1) Currently We are not yet sure if we are going to do 9 or 12 days on the yearly rally . When do you need to know this and can we still book on the rally without knowing?

No problem you can decide later or even during the course of the rally .

2) What bikes are used for the tours / rally?

Ok, as always there is a catch, we use old XR 250`s, firstly cause they make up 95% of all the dirt bikes in Cambodia , secondly they are unbreakable, and thirdly , we use to offer larger bikes, but this resulted in more accidents ,plus we prefer riders crashing at 80kmh not 140kmh. Maybe we could get away with bigger bikes in Thailand ,but here we are usually days away from help and even then it is not the best .
As for the bikes we use Late and early model Honda`s 250 XR`s ,XLR, Baja

Not exactly weapons but as you would know disc brakes back and front ,single shocks and better than a Indian bullet or a 1960`s design Russian Minsk which would be your modes of transport if you did a bike tour in India or Vietnam respectively, so with that in mind they do start to look slightly attractive.
However our main reasons for using these bikes are that 1/ they are indestructible ,2/ they are pretty much the only bike available here at a sensible price ,3/ spare parts are easy to find and lastly our main reason for using these bikes is that in the past we did in fact offer bigger bikes, however all this resulted in, was bigger crashes with bigger results.
We prefer people crashing at 70kmh not 120kmh plus.Also the hospitals here are only good at cutting stuff off, not putting things back on. And in fact as we do on most of our tours,we travel far of the beaten track, so we are usually a day or two away from help with no vehicle access at certain parts of the tour.So 250`s it is.

3) Is any protective equipment provided - boots, gloves, helmet etc or do we need to bring our own?

Ok, we can provide helmets,boots ( limited availability ) & gloves upon request , but the helmets available locally are made in Asia ,good for protecting your head from insects, branches and the sun but not sure if they would pass a standards test back home . Then there is the problem of size, if you have a rather large head ,you will definatly need to bring your own. Anyway we strongly recommend you bring your motorcycle boots so why not bring your own helmet, if you have one that is,
If you will require a helmet let me know in advance and what sizes

And whilst we are on the topic of safety gear, if you do not own a pair of real motorbike boots,then hiking boots with thick leather a stitched sole are your only alternative. No sandshoes ,no shoes with glued on soles as you will either loose a toe or be riding sole less within days.A pair of army boots will do the job ,not ideal,but sufficient.

Alternatively with prior arrangement with us if you would like to buy a pair of second hand motocross boots on eBay ( there are many around the $100 Price range ) we will be happy to buy them off you at the end of the tour / rally.

4) How many people usually go on the rally?

We use to get over 50 riders whilst we were sponsored however since large corporations have now tended to adopt a single organisation approach when handing out cash these days and throw in 911`s influence of travel patterns we average around 20 riders on each rally for the past 3 years.But in fact this is actually better,as in the last few years we have been travelling much deeper into the countryside to area's , were water and petrol is scarce and it is quite easy to buy a village out of supplies in 1 hit, resulting in a situation where there is not enough petrol available for all, so having a small group avoids this problem.

5) Is it necessary to have driving licence ?

By Cambodian law you must have a international drivers licence or a Cambodian drivers licence , however like most laws in Cambodia it really doesn't mean much and we do not require you to hold any licence.ALTHOUGH A PARTICIPANT ON ONE OF OUR TOURS MUST HAVE A REASONABLE LEVEL OF COMPETENCE AND CONFIDENCE RIDING A MOTORCYCLE,

6) Dose the price includes insurance ?

No, although insurance for the motorcycle is available at a cost of $5 per day (covers theft,injury to others, damage to bike )

7) What about damage to the Bikes ?

Firstly let me state we have never ,ever had a customers bike die on us ( correction - 1 bike in 2005 ) ,sure a few electrical problems and the occasional minor mechanical problem but nothing that we couldn't fix or work out a solution for the rider to continue the ride.

Having said that ,you will be fully responsible for the hiring and repairing of any damage to the motorcycle including engine failure should it occur.
In addition ,and as unreasonable as it sounds, should for instance a major mechanical failure happen to occur you will be responsible to pay for all costs in returning the bike to Phnom Penh and then the necessary repairs plus the daily rental fee .
Sounds unfair I know but if you have ever been to Asia you will know this is standard policy for the region.
In fact if it wasn't for insurance coverage in your home countries the same terms would probably apply in your home country.

Again don't be too concerned ,as again we have had hundreds of customers over the years and never had any major problems that couldn't be fixed by us out on the road .Not one.

Thank god for HONDAS.

Also as for damage to the bikes, you can pretty well trash the whole bike ( but please don't ) and they will rebuild it for cost using second hand parts.
Examples

Honda XR / XLR 250

Blinkers $5
Clutch lever $3-5
Brake lever $ 5-7
Tank $25-50
Forks $70-80
Piston $50

The only thing really to avoid breaking is the digital Speedo, its worth over $100 but most of the bikes don't have them anyway .

Look these are a rough guide ,but you can see compared to the prices in your home countries its a fraction of the cost

AS for spare parts I will be carrying
brake levers
clutch levers
cables
tubes & repair kit
CDI for the older XR`s
Front & rear brake pads
Spare front sprocket
Spare links
Pump
Tools and other bits and pieces

sandy tracks, you don't have to be a master on sand, but must be a little familiar with riding sandy trails.However having said that what sort of rider are you ? Do you tend to just cruise along, or do you occasionally give the bike a handful of gas when you see a fun section of road. Riding sand is about your attitude and controlling your fear.

For example if you are a confident rider who occasionally gets on the gas when conditions allow it and not a putter along sort of rider, then even with little or no sand experience you would be able to complete a intermediate tour.The thing with riding in sand is that you must travel in at least 2nd gear at high revs or 3rd gear otherwise you will always be falling off, it`s the way you must ride in sand. The other thing about riding in sand is that you constantly feel like you are going to fall off,no matter how fast you ride it. the only difference between riding in 1st gear and 3rd gear on sand is that if you ride in 1st gear you will fall off where as in third gear you feel like you are going to fall off ,but rarely do due to the physics of it, I.e. momentum ( speed ) and friction and power ( must be always at mid to high revs,no idling along in second or third gear ).

For example last year with a group of friends we tried to reach a remote temple.Several of the riders had no previous sand experience,within the first 3 km they had all picked up Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Sed consequat nibh blandit felis. Quisque et urna. In eget risus quis orci fringilla bibendum. In libero odio, adipiscing in, porta et, viverra ac, elit. Sed pulvinar, leo ac malesuada venenatis, eros magna aliquam nibh, ac vestibulum nunc justo varius purus. Nulla sed massa. Cras semper dictum risus. Nullam molestie magna id purus. Duis dictum lorem vitae orci. Nam pede eros, euismod eu, dapibus a, elementum at, ligula. Praesent vehicula. Suspendisse tincidunt lectus nec nibh. Maecenas nisl pede, tincidunt ut, convallis sit amet, bibendum rutrum, nisi. Aliquam felis nisi, vehicula aliquam, euismod vitae, blandit in, neque. Cras a justo id ligula convallis tristique. Phasellus sed urna. Fusce ligula. Nulla accumsan, sem et molestie fringilla, lacus quam vulputate mi, sit amet dictum lectus quam volutpat eros.

the tactics of riding in sand ( obviously after falling off 4 or 5 times ), except for one guy who could not over come his fear of falling off ( no matter what speed you travel on sand, the bike will always wobble around ,its just much more wobbly at slower speeds and requires much more effort from the rider to stay upright ). Well in the first 3 km one rider had fallen off at least 10 times (its only soft sand ,so it dose not hurt ) No matter how we explained to him what he was doing wrong he would not either use high rpm or try riding in second or third gear and give it a go. What took him 2 hours , 2 new clutch levers and about 10 slow get off`s took every one else 5 minuets, plus he was totally worn out and could go no further.An exceptional case ,but it high lights my point.Plus this guy was decked out in every piece of protective gear know to man,not a bad thing but it is there to protect you which shouldLorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Sed consequat nibh blandit felis. Quisque et urna. In eget risus quis orci fringilla bibendum. In libero odio, adipiscing in, porta et, viverra ac, elit. Sed pulvinar, leo ac malesuada venenatis, eros magna aliquam nibh, ac vestibulum nunc justo varius purus. Nulla sed massa. Cras semper dictum risus. Nullam molestie magna id purus. Duis dictum lorem vitae orci. Nam pede eros, euismod eu, dapibus a, elementum at, ligula. Praesent vehicula. Suspendisse tincidunt lectus nec nibh. Maecenas nisl pede, tincidunt ut, convallis sit amet, bibendum rutrum, nisi. Aliquam felis nisi, vehicula aliquam, euismod vitae, blandit in, neque. Cras a justo id ligula convallis tristique. Phasellus sed urna. Fusce ligula. Nulla accumsan, sem et molestie fringilla, lacus quam vulputate mi, sit amet dictum lectus quam volutpat eros.

help give you confidence to ride.So from this example you can see that it really was not about his level of skill ,it was more about his attitude and not being able to control his fear ( too scared to twist the throttle , he never had the engine going over 2000 rpm ).

It must be said this guy , was certainly the worst rider I had ever seen, ( although he had spent 15 years riding a bmw on the roads in the states ). I have had complete novices ride with more confidence / ability than this guy, and this guy had a bike licence,don't know how he got it , as he would certainly not have passed a riders test in Australia which is conducted on tar roads.

8) do we need a tent per person or not at all?

Nope ,see above,but if you want to carry a tent it is your choice

9) do we need to get a visa in my home country or on arrival in Phnom Penh ?

It is up to you ,you can get a visa in PP on arrival,costs $20 USD and takes about 20 min,but bring 3 passport photos.

10) do we need special injections to come to Cambodia ?

No, but you will have to make up your own mind wether or not you should take malaria tablets.
Although we will travel to areas where malaria is present ,we are travelling in the dry season,so no water no mosquitos.

Plus at the end of the day ( malaria carrying mosquitos are most active at sun down and sun up ),we don't walk around in shorts etc. socks,long pants,t-shirt or long sleeve shirt are the way to go.
Personally long clothing and mosquito repellent if needed should do it.Usually in a night out camping under the stars I might hear 3 mossies at most, usually though I hear none.

The main difference between novice and intermediate levels is the ability to ride on sandy tracks, you don't have to be a master on sand, but must be a little familiar with riding sandy trails.However having said that what sort of rider are you ? Do you tend to just cruise along, or do you occasionally give the bike a handful of gas when you see a fun section of road. Riding sand is about your attitude and controlling your fear.

For example if you are a confident rider who occasionally gets on the gas when conditions allow it ( road or dirt ) and not a putter along sort of rider, then even with little or no sand experience you would be able to complete a intermediate tour.The thing with riding in sand is that you must travel in at least 2nd gear at high revs or 3rd gear otherwise you will always be falling off, it`s the way you must ride in sand. The other thing about riding in sand is that you constantly feel like you are going to fall off,no matter how fast you ride it. the only difference between riding in 1st gear and 3rd gear on sand is that if you ride in 1st gear you will fall off where as in third gear you feel like you are going to fall off ,but rarely do due to the physics of it, I.e. momentum ( speed ) and friction and power ( must be always at mid to high revs,no idling along in second or tLorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Sed consequat nibh blandit felis. Quisque et urna. In eget risus quis orci fringilla bibendum. In libero odio, adipiscing in, porta et, viverra ac, elit. Sed pulvinar, leo ac malesuada venenatis, eros magna aliquam nibh, ac vestibulum nunc justo varius purus. Nulla sed massa. Cras semper dictum risus. Nullam molestie magna id purus. Duis dictum lorem vitae orci. Nam pede eros, euismod eu, dapibus a, elementum at, ligula. Praesent vehicula. Suspendisse tincidunt lectus nec nibh. Maecenas nisl pede, tincidunt ut, convallis sit amet, bibendum rutrum, nisi. Aliquam felis nisi, vehicula aliquam, euismod vitae, blandit in, neque. Cras a justo id ligula convallis tristique. Phasellus sed urna. Fusce ligula. Nulla accumsan, sem et molestie fringilla, lacus quam vulputate mi, sit amet dictum lectus quam volutpat eros.

hird gear ).Ask any rider who rides in sand if they get scared ,the answer is always yes, in deep sand I can do 120kmh,but it constantly feels like I am going to fall off, however if you can imagine a bike in mid air doing 120kmh or even 60kmh, and you tried to push it over sideways ,it would be quite hard due to the gyroscopic effect,but if the wheels were turning at 10kmh obviously it wouldn't take much to push it over.

The reality is the faster you go in sand and mud the more chance you have in staying on, unless that is you come upon a bend in the road,a rock or some other big obstacle, but I guess you understand what im getting at.

For example last year with a group of friends we tried to reach a remote temple.Several of the riders had no previous sand experience,within the first 3 km they had all picked up the tactics of riding in sand ( and of course they all fell off a few times as you do ), except for one guy who could not over come his fear of falling off ( no matter what speed you travel on sand, the bike will always wobble around ,its just much more wobbly at slower speeds and requires much more effort from the rider to stay upright ). Well in the first 3 km one rider had fallen off at least 10 times (its only soft sand ,so it dose not hurt,especially when you are travelling in first gear ) No matter how we explained to him what he was doing wrong he would not either use high rpm or try riding in third gear and give it a go. What took him 2 hLorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Sed consequat nibh blandit felis. Quisque et urna. In eget risus quis orci fringilla bibendum. In libero odio, adipiscing in, porta et, viverra ac, elit. Sed pulvinar, leo ac malesuada venenatis, eros magna aliquam nibh, ac vestibulum nunc justo varius purus. Nulla sed massa. Cras semper dictum risus. Nullam molestie magna id purus. Duis dictum lorem vitae orci. Nam pede eros, euismod eu, dapibus a, elementum at, ligula. Praesent vehicula. Suspendisse tincidunt lectus nec nibh. Maecenas nisl pede, tincidunt ut, convallis sit amet, bibendum rutrum, nisi. Aliquam felis nisi, vehicula aliquam, euismod vitae, blandit in, neque. Cras a justo id ligula convallis tristique. Phasellus sed urna. Fusce ligula. Nulla accumsan, sem et molestie fringilla, lacus quam vulputate mi, sit amet dictum lectus quam volutpat eros.

ours , 2 new clutch levers and about 10 slow get off`s took every one else 5 minuets, plus he was totally worn out and could go no further.An exceptional case ,but it high lights my point.Plus this guy was decked out in every piece of protective gear know to man,not a bad thing but it is there to protect you which should help give you confidence to ride.So from this example you can see that it really was not about his level of skill ,it was more about his attitude and not being able to control his fear ( too scared to twist the throttle , he never had the engine going over 2000 rpm, so he really had no chance ).

It must be said this guy , was certainly the worst rider I had ever seen, I have had complete novices ride with more confidence / ability than this guy, and this guy had a bike licence,don't know how it got it though as he would certainly not have passed a riders test in Australia which is conducted on tar roads.

If you feel like you don't have the skill / attitude to tackle sand then just let us know as we can possibly change the route /roads we travel on ,that is depending on when and which tour you choose to ride,and also things here are changing fast with new roads being repaired on a monthly basis.Which also must be factored in,For example Koh Ker temple use to take us 6 hours riding in deep sand,by November this year it should be a 1 or 2 hour ride on a good flat dirt road.

Well hope that gives you a understanding of the difference between novice and intermediate.

11) What currency is used by tourists ?

US dollars, $100 bills must be the new ones with the big heads and be in perfect condition.For tourist shopping just bring lots of $ 20. In Siem reap and Phnom Penh you can change $100 bills everywhere as long as they are unmarked.

Also carrying some local currency is handy for buying cigarettes,chewing gum or giving to the occasional beggar or street kid.

Currently 4200 riel = $1 USD
12) what are the best months for a tour

November through till February as in our experience these months have the lowest rainfall of the year and the temperature is usually around 26-28 centigrade and cool at night.
In fact the last few years riding in December/ January have been the best months ,sunny overcast days and pretty coolish at night ,almost perfect.Plus as an added bonus No rain means no mosquitos so no need for anti malaria Tablets.

13) Do you have special packing suggestions...

As above ,and depending on how you plan to carry your luggage on the bike . But I suggest you bring at least 4 bags

bum bag ( if you use them )
large day pack or full size back pack.
camelbak or simular dehydration system
Another bag to hold all your gear that will stay in Phnom Penh during your tour, or sent onwards to Siem Reap should you choose to finish your ride there.

14 ) Can we strap our bags onto the bike ?

individuals preferences and also take into account which bikes will have luggage racks.

Same applies to your bags if you wish,but I don't recommend it,firstly as not all bikes will have a luggage rack,secondly too much weight on the luggage rack can break the whole rear subframe, and thirdly odds are that almost certainly someone's bag will fall off and go missing.

Whilst I am talking about luggage ,on certain sections of the tour no water is to be tied onto the bikes, it must be carried by each rider.As mentioned everybody is to have a cammelbak or simular and in addition must carry two bottles of water ,add to this your clothes,socks,camera,toiletries,medicines, and unless you have a really big day pack you can see simply using the large backpack is more convenient.

15 ) Do we need a sleeping bag ?

No. I think in total we will sleep out a total of 3 / 4 nights for the rally or depending on which tour anything from 1 to 3 nights . And if all goes to plan, we get a few nights in a real hotel in between each camp out.
In all my years or riding around Cambodia I have never used a sleeping bag and only 3 or 4 times felt the cold.
Also if you were to bring a sleeping bag you would have to carry it on the bike.

Personally ,like most of us , I like carrying the least possible so apart from spare parts,first aid kit etc. that I will be carrying for every one,packing light is the way to go.

Here is how I usually pack

I carry a set of riding cloths that I use for the whole of the trip and I carry a set of night time cloths, basically a pair of jeans , a t-shirt and a long sleeve shirt and plenty of socks.

So in a situation where we will be camping out I usually, after making a big fire , change into my night cloths ( jeans, clean t shirt + long sleeve shirt ), put a clean pair of socks on ,spread my ground sheet / poncho ( provided ) and for me that's it. In fact I usually carry a smaller bag and fill it with other cloths to make my pillow , or just use my back pack.

Having said that should you be prone to feeling the cold I recommend you bring a emergency space blanket,the tiny plastic foil ones,good for at least 4 nights if needed.

So as you can see I simply sleep directly on the ground ( we usually stop in good sandy sections on the trails ), however if that doesn't sound too tempting,let me know in advance and I will provide you with hammocks.Personally,though I can relax in a hammock,but for me sleeping in a hammock I find uncomfortable.

Alternatively you are welcome to bring along a foam sleeping mat ( or a thermal-rest ) , they are quite bulky,but at least the foam ones are cheap enough to throw away should they be a pain to carry,although as I mentioned to you in previous emails,I suggest you all carry a large backpack ,and simply half fill it, wearing it loosely and letting it sit on the back seat so you are not carrying any of the weight.If you adopt this approach carrying a foam mattress will be no hassle or you can simply strap it to the back of your bikes.Same applies to your bags if you wish,but I don't recommend it,firstly as not all bikes will have a luggage rack,secondly too much weight on the luggage rack can break the whole rear subframe, and thirdly odds are that almost certainly someone's bag will fall off and go missing.

Are there any rules ?

Yes unfortunately there are a few ,however they are for safety reasons only.

1 / Unless Directly told otherwise ,Stay behind the Leader.

This is Not negotiable,In certain sections of the rally or on certain tours we are travelling in areas where there are hundreds of walking trails and ox cart tracks criss crossing all over the place , there are no signs or people and obviously no petrol or water available ( dry season ) so we don't have time or resources to go tracking down riders who decide to lead the pack ,then ultimately lose the way,we don't always take the biggest ,most obvious route.

2 / Always ride with your headlight on,whilst not in town ( its illegal to have your headlights on in daytime ,however its a great way to be seen by other vehicles ,and easy to pick out other riders in the tour from a distance )
3 / Use the horn a lot ! and I mean a lot.
4 / If you Don't see any other Fellow riders for 15 min. Stop and Wait. Put your bike in an obvious place should we be on a major road/track ( not off the road, or in a shop, or under a tree where it can not be seen ) and stay with the bike and listen . We will come to you.
5 / Let the tour leader know when your drinking water is running low ( preferably before we leave a major town or village )
6 / Bring a sense of humour

What is the difference between a rally and a tour.

Well serval things for instance on a rally

A If you ride for the more than 7 days then the rally works out a lot cheaper,but obviously there is a reason for that.

B You carry all your own gear,there is no support truck ( certain tours run with a support truck )

C And obviously with our organising / help as interpreter,after day 9 you will be paying for food,acomm,petrol out of your own pocket.

Other IMPORTANT Differences

Ok now the next two points I want to be extremely clear and honest about, so there is no misunderstanding . If after reading my explanations you have any doubts or concerns Please let me know and I will address any points or questions you may have.

Should you be injured in a non critical accident you will be expected to travel back to Phnom Penh on your own.
Look obviously this will depend on the type of injury and where it occurs and we certainly wont leave anyone behind in the middle of nowhere. But should someone break a rib or a big toe we will transport them to the nearest major road / village and organise transport for them and their bike back to Phnom Penh or SR and have someone meet them at the other end to get medical attention if required or take care of any other urgent tasks.

For the unlikely event someone is in a very bad way we can arrange for a helicopter extraction. This is a very costly exercise so make sure the person you nominate as someone to contact in case of emergency on our registration form is prepared to send a few thousand should the situation arise or check your insurance policy and make sure they have a 24 hour world wide contact number and supply us the details.

Look I hope im not scaring anybody off here, but it would be negligent of me if I didn't mention it now.
Out of the hundreds or riders that have ridden with us there has only been 1 incident where we went through this whole drama and it wasn't a critical situation, the guy in question simply had ,had enough ,wasn't meant to be in Cambodia in the first place and had plenty of cash to cover the cost of the helicopter.

Remember this is a non competitive rally so unless your doing 110 KMH flying in and out of the trees through the jungle there should be no major problems.

Other things to do whilst in Cambodia

RELAXING MASSAGES
Get some new prescription Glasses made for next to nothing .
Shop for the latest DVD`s, Computer software,music CD`s Or load up your ipod with 2000 songs for a few dollars
Get some custom jewellery made up whilst your out on tour.
Grab some levis or diesel jeans for $10
Get a Rolex watch for $12 ( good for 1 year )
Party Hard

Angkor Dirt Bike Tours
Tours In The Extreme.com

List of Riders Equipment recommended by ADBTs

1. Helmet, gloves, motocross style riding boots and goggles.

2. medium large pack, to be worn on the back, carrying one days worth of clothes and toiletries (he who travels lightest, travel furthest) allowing space to carry 2 extra water bottles.

3. Pocket knife/pocket tool (leatherman style)

4. Water carrier, min 2 litres (we recommend the use of a CamelBak drinking system) If you choose not to use a camelbak or similar ,whatever system / method you use to carry your water it is NOT TO BE ATTACHED TO MOTORCYCLE under any circumstances.Also beware on certain sections of the rally or on certain tours you maybe required to carry 2 additional 1 litre bottles of water so make sure that you have enough room in your bag to carry them.

5. Sunglasses and clear glasses.

6. Independent Travel Insurance from your home country,(to be carried by all riders).

7. Personal Medicines (any specific medical conditions to be reported to event leader prior to departure) and anti-malarial medication should you decide to take it..

8. Photocopy of passport and current visa.

9. Waterproof bags for carrying valuables, (such as wallet)

10. sunburn cream

11. Torch / headlamp

12. mosquito repellent

13. Several pairs of thick woollen socks,nylon are unsuitable and cause blisters in our experience

14. emergency Space Blanket ( of the compact plastic foil type )

Any equipment attached to a motorcycle, no matter how securely is likely to be lost, due to the motion of travel over rough ground. All valuables (for example camera equipment) must be carried securely on the rider. All personal effects taken on an event are the responsibility of the rider.

Angkor Dirt Bike Tours can, by prior arrangement provide all of the above safety gear (with the exception of boots) to riders on tour but strongly recommend that riders bring their own helmets, gloves and personal safety equipment, as a persons own equipment is more comfortable to wear and has a familiar history.

Angkor Dirt Bike Tours Disclaimer

I ………………………………………………………………wish to participate in an outdoor recreational activity program operated by ADBT ………………………………………….. (Insert Area Name)

I understand that some of the activities in which I may participate:

· will be physically and emotionally demanding; and

· may involve a significant risk of physical harm.

My participation in any activity is voluntary and not compulsory.

I understand certain inherent risks exist in the activities in which I will be participating. Although the organisation and its instructors will provide me with appropriate directions and will endeavour to minimise my exposure to the risk of harm, these inherent risks are beyond the control of the Angkor Dirt Bike Tours , its volunteers and staff and cannot be avoided by the exercise of reasonable care and skill. Inherent risks include changes in weather conditions and difficulties in obtaining emergency medical assistance. For example, some activities will take place in remote settings, hours from the nearest medical services.

I am aware that there are some risks that are common to many or all of the activities in which I may participate, such as the risk of harm caused by varying weather conditions, by uneven or changing terrain and by native flora and fauna. However, some activities in which I may participate carry with them risks of harm that are particular to that activity, such as the following risks:

Motor bike riding

· losing control of bike and colliding with obstacles such as trees, rocks or other cyclists;

· failing to negotiate obstacles including difficult terrain;

· being required to carry bike due to nature or condition of terrain;

· falling from bike, possibly at speed;

· becoming lost;

· being exposed to the elements for long periods of time;

· being injured in an area not readily accessible for emergency services.

I authorise the Angkor Dirt Bike Tours to arrange medical treatment and emergency evacuation services on my behalf and at my cost, in the event of my injury or illness, as it deems necessary.

I understand that the Dual Sports Motorcycle Riders Association, its volunteers and staff will endeavour to keep personal items safe but that they accept no responsibility for the safekeeping of those items.

Date of Event ____/____/____ Name of Participant ____________________________________

Address ____________________________________________________________________

Phone # ________________________(mb)__________________(H)_________________(W)

Signature ____________________________________________________________________

Emergency Contact

Name ____________________________

Phone _____________________________

Terms And Conditions

The Price of this tour as stated above is $...........USD Per Person for the ...........day Ride as listed above. Any requested major deviation from this itinerary may incur extra charges. Included in this price is all entry fees, fuel, meals, accommodation on a twin share basis, bikes, and specified safety gear. Angkor Dirt Bike Tours reserves the right to alter any itineraries or route plans due to changes in the weather or other circumstances beyond our control.

Terms of Payment

We require a deposit of $300 USD per person at the time of booking and payment in full 60 days prior to the departure date.

TOUR PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE: The tour price does not include airfare, alcohol, snacks, non-meal beverages and refreshments, rest-day activities not included in our itinerary, pre-and-post tour hotel accommodations, items of a personal nature, passport and visa fees, fines, gratuities, laundry, phone/fax calls, personal insurance.

Disclaimer

Motorcycle riding and travel within Cambodia have inherent dangers of which I am aware and I the undersigned, have up-to-date independent travel/medical insurance and am physically fit and able to ride a motorcycle to a standard suited to riding in Cambodia. Angkor Dirt Bike Tours excursions are non-competitive guided tours into the Cambodian countryside. Should I suffer distress or injury, even fatal, while travelling on an Angkor Dirt Bike Tours event neither I nor any member of my family or friends shall hold Angkor Dirt Bike Tours or its employees, responsible in any way. I am responsible for all equipment loaned, rented or bought on my behalf, (such as motorcycles) as well as any equipment I choose to bring myself (such as cameras or telephones). I am in a fit state of health and have informed Angkor Dirt Bike Tours of any specific medical conditions that I suffer from (if any exist). I am aware that Angkor Dirt Bike Tours will be taking still and filmed footage of the event and agree to appear in any footage used to promote Angkor Dirt Bike Tours. Tour routes can change at the discretion of Angkor Dirt Bike Tours

MUD AND TERROR 1998

The idea had been born with sunshine in mind. All the preparations had been made with sunshine in mind. Sunshine was in fact an integral part of the plan. Just someone forgot to mention the fact to the Big Man upstairs.

Sitting in the lobby of the Mekong Hotel Kompong Cham, twenty-nine dirt bike mounted riders and the drivers and passengers of the four back-up vehicles watched as CNN almost gleefully announced that the winds of the little storm on the Vietnamese coast had hit over 120 kilometres per hour.

For the first time in living memory it was going to rain in December, and God, with a sharp sense of timing, had booked it to arrive December 12th , the start of the First Mondulkiri Rally-Raid'98.

The fun kicked off earlier that day when the tour collected together at the Olympic Stadium, site of another first, the first Open Go-Kart Championship round held in Phnom Penh. We were scheduled to do a few victory laps of the circuit somewhere in the middle of the first rounds of the races, the cyclo race and the dance session from the chipper-looking cheerleaders.

Having successfully completed a few laps (a bit early in the game to fall off, with 400 kms of the best tarmac and dirt roads in the country ahead of us), the majority of the 29 dirt bike entrants followed Big Ben, one half of the Angkor Dirt Bike Tours team, and hit the little known river road to Kompong Cham.

The Land Rover support team , headed by Glen Robinson of Cambodia Astra Motor Ltd, would then steer the Land Rover Discovery, Defender 90 and ex-army aluminium bodied 'light landie' along the main highway to our first night's rendezvous at the Mekong Hotel.

The Defender was also pulling the trailer full of supplies that included spare parts, a complete barbecue and enough food to feed this little mobile army for at least three days of the five-day expedition. The Clouds were already gathering as the last of the team pulled out of the TOTAL petrol station next to the railway station.

The idea had started sensibly enough over a few beers several months previously. Ben, myself and three other dirt bike fanatics had made one failed attempt to reach Sen Monorom a couple of years before. Now, with the much improved security situation in the countryside, we were keen to try it again. But a big trip involving more than just a hand-full of bikes would need support vehicles which also coincided with the 50th Anniversary of the birth of one of Britains best exports, the Land Rover. Supporting the Kouprey Wildlife Organization is one of the Bayon Pearnik's pet projects, so we knew that they were very active in the area. They suggested that we use the trip to distribute information to the local people on how to avoid snakebites and what to do if they do get bitten, and also use sponsorship to provide anti-venom. And so the idea began to take shape.

Mobitel generously offered to provide the money for the anti-venom. TOTAL offered fuel for the bikes and Cambodia Astra Motors got together and provided the 5000 leaflets in Khmer warning of the dangers provided by snakes and the all important Rally-Raid race jerseys.

The leaflet had originally been written in Russian , Then translated into English which Cambodia Astra then had translated into Khmer. Ace photographer David Van Der Veen was called on to capture all the golden moments while his French counterpart, Alain, snatched digital footage so we could watch each other fall off our bikes again and again. Ray and Belinda from Weldmesh volunteered to be our mobile caterers, as some of the fatter entrants were worried that such an energetic trip might rob them of their hard-earned beer bellies. Angkor Dirt Bike Tours was formed to organize the whole venture-and off we went.

It was an overcast 6am that a decidedly second-hand looking group of bikers assembled at the Mekong ferry crossing on the edge of Kompong Cham, ready to catch up with the support crew who had set off even earlier in order to make some ground on the faster moving bikers. But despite grey skies and the early hour , the mood was quietly exuberant ñ the moment had arrived, time to get seriously dirty on a virtually unbroken 280 km stretch of dirt. Excellent.

A motley collection of bikes had been assembled with the Honda XLR 250 and Baja being the most common choice, followed by the Suzuki DR 250 , a couple of Honda XR 600s and crm 250s, a DR 350 , an RMX and KID 250. The only bike to draw "tuts" of disapproval and shakes of the head from the experienced dirt stumpers being a rented Honda AXE 250, really just a modified road bike than a serious off-road tool like the rest. Then there were the Land Rovers and the Weldmesh supply trailer, of course, and a rented Mitsubishi Pager piloted by some guys working in Ho Chi Mind city who had heard about the raid and just had to go, Five guys had come from Hooch Mind, and one Phnom Penh old hand had returned specially for the rally while the most at least knew the way and that more than a handful had already ridden the road at least once. All these guys and only one woman to keep them all in line, and fed no brilliant Belinda the barbecue Queen.

The plan had been to leave Kompong Cham at first light, meet in Memo for lunch, distribute some leaflets, then meet again in Snoul where TOTAL had arranged a special petrol stop for us, before pushing on to Sen Monorom before dark.

This timetable had been formulated without including the idea of rain. This time of year is not usually called the dry season for nothing. We would still make the Memo lunch appointment and assess from there.

A comfortable night in the Mekong Hotel, which has outstanding views of the river but is unfortunately minus it's excellent balconies following renovations was rudely shattered by the sound of 28 motorcycles pulling wheelies in the car park.

The Land Rover support team was dispatched at first light. Heavily overcast the skies promised rain as the ferry was boarded, in-between forcing down the mornings first coffee. Ah, the joys of the open road. Bikers rapidly scattered ad per their own pace. Taking up the rear guard group in order to pick up stragglers feeling like a celebrity as crowds of people came onto the street to wave the cars and bikes through. But the first three hours riding was the easy bit, we had yet to see the real mud and the real rain. And there was still lunch in Memo to contend with.

The story Continues here mud and terror...

Or more stories From Past rally's here

http://toursintheextreme.com/riding_mondulkiri.php3

erg mooi :}

was een linkie naar de site niet ook ok geweest :?

goe punt, zal er de volgende keer aan denken, mensen kunnren misschien beter niet quoten voor het overzicht te behouden. Was nu gewoon te lui om de site te ekijkenNu, ik ben ze al een paar keer tegengekomen en ze zagen er stoofig en moe uit. Der is 't er zelfs ooit één naakt vanuit Phnom Penh vertrokken, welliswaar met helm op, gaf toen wel wat commotie.

Terug
Bovenaan Onderaan