Vietnam Deel 2

Omgeving 91

Omgeving 91.jpg

Getting high on Vietnamese landscapes from great heights (1)

Backpacking the length and breadth of Vietnam, lensman Dang Van Hai captures the dizzying beauty of both rural and urban landscapes with aerial shots.

High 1.jpg

Hai, 28, sits on perhaps the highest point in Ma Pi Leng Pass and gets a panoramic view of the Nho Que River and its surrounds.

The Ma Pi Leng Pass runs 20 kilometers (12.7 miles) in the northern province of Ha Giang. The journey to conquer the pass is a tough task even for the seasoned travelers, it is said.

High 2.jpg

Ethnic minority women walk through perfectly chiseled terraced rice fields in Mu Cang Chai as the crop yellows and gets ready for the harvest season, October 2020.

Mu Cang Chai, a rural district in Yen Bai Province, is around seven hours' drive from Hanoi. The town sits at 1,000m above sea level at the foot of Hoang Lien Son Mountain Range. Its rice terrace fields stretch across 2,200 ha of the mountainside.

High 3.jpg

Red and orange tiled buildings seem to peep out of passing clouds in Sa Pa, a tourist town in Lao Cai Province on an early morning in November 2020.

High 4.jpg

The Son River in Quang Binh Province, which literally means Red River as its water turns red during the flooding season, flows blue through undulating hills and mountains in July 2020.

The upstream section of this river runs 7,729 m underground through limestone mountains in the UNESCO heritage site, Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park, home to over 300 caves and grottoes that date back some 400 million years.

High 5.jpg

The Banh It Towers, built during the reign of the Cham kings in the 10th century, glows a golden red in Binh Dinh Province.

The complex consists of four towers, the main one being around 22 m tall. It gets its local name from a triangular glutinous rice cake filled with green bean paste and meat made that is popular in the central province.

Once the political and cultural hub of the ancient Champa Kingdom, Binh Dinh is home to many vestiges of the ancient culture.

High 6.jpg

Another glow in the dark shot captures a fisherman casting a nest from his coracle to harvest seafood hidden under layers of green seaweed in Hon Kho Islet, Nhon Hai District, around 30 kilometers from downtown Quy Nhon. The photo was taken in May this year.

This seaweed, called Sargassum, reproduces and develops naturally in the Binh Chau sea. It grows in coral reefs and underwater rocks and emerges from the water surface once fully grown, resembling an underwater forest.

The seaweed harvest season begins in April and ends in June.

Laatst bewerkt:
Getting high on Vietnamese landscapes from great heights (2)

High 7.jpg

Ro cho, a type of fishing net popular in the region, stand silently in Thi Nai Lagoon, Binh Dinh Province, as a boat creates an arrowhead in its waters this August.

The ro cho is supported by four long bamboo poles with a sagging fishing net in the middle shaped like a pan. Fishermen use bamboo sticks to sweep and push trapped fish into the navel and later to one side of the net for harvesting.

Thi Nai hosts many species of aquatic products with high economic value like oysters and crabs.

High 8.jpg

A boat off Yen Islet in Phu Yen Province casts its net over a large area in June 2020.

High 9.jpg

From above the clouds, the En Waterfall in K'bang District, Gia Lai Province, marks the origin of the Con River. Hai captured this spectacular view in 2017 during a trek through the forest.

En, 54 m tall, is considered the highest, most beautiful and most mighty waterfall in the Central Highlands. During the dry season, it is 20-30 m wide. Its spray creates plenty of rainbows.

High 10.jpg

Large areas of the Ta Dung Lake covered by white clouds. This lake in Dak Nong Province is often referred to as the Ha Long Bay of the Central Highlands. This shot was taken in January 2020.

With a 20,000 ha water surface and more than 36 islands, the lake and its surrounding park serves as the natural habitat of many bird species.

High 11.jpg

Hai and his friends trek the Ta Nang-Phan Dung route that runs through the three provinces of Lam Dong, Ninh Thuan and Binh Thuan, early October 2020.

High 12.jpg

Landmark 81, Vietnam's tallest building, wears a shining national flag on New Year’s Eve, 2019. The building dominates the skyscape in HCMC’s Binh Thanh District.

Bron: Getting high on Vietnamese landscapes from great heights

Fotograferen

Het is hier al weken beestenweer. Nauwelijks droog, dus naar buiten met de camera is niet echt leuk. Ik heb één keer een testje in de tuin kunnen doen met het maken van een panoramafoto. Ga ik mee verder als het beter weer is.

Dus ben ik tussen de bedrijven door bezig geweest met Versie 2 van mijn e-book Fotograferen. Zie onderaan deze post. Nee, nog niet klaar.

Dit betreffen uitbreidingen van mijn laptopstandaard en het testen van tether-programmatuur om tot een low-cost oplossing te komen. De hardware wacht nog op wat materialen uit Nha Trang en tethering werkt inmiddels goed in mijn werkkamer. Nu nog tijdens een echte shoot. Truus maar weer eens vragen om te poseren. Vietnam Deel 2

De volgende post is één van de nieuwe hoofdstukken. Een zondagse… O-)

Fröbelen​

In het voorwoord van mijn e-book “Fotograferen” schreef ik:
“Als je wilt dat iets goed gebeurt moet je het zelf doen.”
Mijn lijfspreuk hier in Vietnam
Dus DIY: Do It Yourself.

Frobelen 1.jpg

Frobelen 2.jpg

Tja, DIY ligt in dit geval een beetje moeilijk. Het is zeker doe het zelf, maar “als je wilt dat iets goed gebeurt moet je het zelf doen” zal door de meeste modellen niet op prijs worden gesteld, tenzij ze het zelf doen. :+

Helder?

Nee? Iedere video en boek over modelfotografie hamert erop, dat je met je vingers van het model afblijft. Dus duimen dat het goed gebeurt als je het niet zelf doet. Tenzij je natuurlijk de hand kunt leggen op een model, die daar geen problemen mee heeft. O-)

Voor meer DIY knip- plak- en schilderwerk, zie de art-nude website van Matt Granger:

Frobelen 3.jpg

Voor de gemiddelde Vietnamees nog veel erger dan topless met een punthoedje voor in Hoi An. Xin Loi Matt. O-)

Hanoi launches emission evaluation campaign for motorbikes

Emission 1.jpg

Employees at a motorbike store in Hanoi check the emission of a motorbike, November 12, 2021. Photo by VnExpress/Gia Chinh

Hanoi's environment department is trialing an emission evaluation initiative for up to 5,000 motorbikes starting Friday.

Eight motorbike stores operated by Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Piaggio and Sym across six districts have begun measuring the emission of customer motorbikes. At a Honda store on Tran Khanh Du Street, an emission measuring device was placed at the entrance. Customers coming for motorbike maintenance are informed of the free emission evaluation.

The device measures the amount of carbon monoxide, hydrocarbon and carbon dioxide in a vehicle’s exhaust fumes.

Khuat Quang Suu, 47, said his motorbike was bought in 2014 and has traveled over 80,000 kilometers. The evaluation revealed his bike’s hydrocarbon level exceeded current standards.

A store employee said Suu would receive a can of oil and a maintenance coupon worth VND200,000 ($8.81).

"We would check the air cleaner, spark plug and engine, as well as change the oil, then evaluate emissions once more. If results still fall outside current standards, we will inform our customers to look for another solution," the employee said.

Suu said he will still change the oil and perform routine maintenance at the store.

"I didn’t think my bike would fail to satisfy emission standards. If the issue isn’t resolved, I would take my bike back to the store for feedback," he said.

Within just one hour in the morning, about 10 bikes were evaluated, with three not meeting emission standards. Besides the emission check, customers would answer a survey regarding the emission evaluation campaign’s impact on the population.

Hanoi follows Ho Chi Minh City to become the second locality to perform motorbike emission evaluation. Nguyen Minh Muoi, deputy director of the Hanoi Department of Natural Resources and the Environment, said air pollution is caused by multiple factors, including industrial activity, biomass burning and vehicle emissions.

By the first quarter of 2019, Hanoi had around 5.7 million motorbikes, two million of which are considered outdated.

"To manage air pollution from vehicles, there needs to be policies regarding motorbikes. The emission evaluation trial is the basis for policymaking and solutions to manage emissions and reclaiming outdated motorbikes in Hanoi," Muoi said.

Le Hoai Nam, head of the environment management department under Vietnam Environment Administration, said the emission evaluation campaign in Hanoi serves to collect data regarding the amount of emissions released by active motorbikes in the city and evaluate the effectiveness of vehicle maintenance. The campaign’s findings would be an important basis for the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment and other authorities to issue emission standards for motorbikes, he added.

The campaign in Hanoi would last for about a month. Owners of motorbikes registered before 2017 would receive free oil cans, while those that do not satisfy emission standards would receive maintenance coupons. Owners of motorbikes registered before 2002 would be supported with up to VND4 million to buy new vehicles.

*** Zie de video via de bron

The emission evaluation process at a motorbike store in Hanoi, November 12, 2021. Video by VnExpress/Gia Chinh

Hanoi launches emission evaluation campaign for motorbikes - VnExpress International

“By the first quarter of 2019, Hanoi had around 5.7 million motorbikes, two million of which are considered outdated.”
Gezien de ongelofelijke hoeveel motorfietsen, vaak oud en slecht onderhouden, is ook dit een levensgroot landelijk probleem.

"To manage air pollution from vehicles, there needs to be policies regarding motorbikes. The emission evaluation trial is the basis for policymaking and solutions to manage emissions and reclaiming outdated motorbikes in Hanoi," Muoi said.
Sure.
Het blijft natuurlijk dweilen met de kraan open.
Daarnaast, hoe kun je regels hiervoor handhaven als ze in het verkeer zelfs niet stoppen voor rood licht? Of trottoirs gebruiken om in te halen?

Verf en bouten (1)

Hoe het er hier aan toegaat.

OK, ok, de verf was in eerste instantie ook een beetje mijn eigen schuld. Maar dan nog…

Een aantal zaken voor de fotografie-hobby, zoals de laptop-standaard, heb ik met schoolbordenzwart geverfd. Daar begonnen zachtjes aan wat teveel vellen in te zitten, dus aan Minh gevraagd of een nieuw blik wilde kopen. Het oude meegegeven.

Na terugkomst zonder leesbril naar het nummer gekeken en jawel: gelijk.

Het verven was geen onverdeeld succes. Ondanks stevig doorroeren bleef het “waterig”. Erger, na een paar weken drogen was de oppervlakte nog plakkerig. Maar nog veel erger: je kon je haren in het resultaat kammen, zo spiegelde het.

Schoolbordenzwart?

Nog eens goed op het blik gekeken. Staat er met hele kleine letters onder het grotere nummer bij de oude blik “Board black” en bij het nieuwe “Dark black”.

De man in de verfzaak, die geen woord buiten de deur spreekt, blijft strak en stijf volhouden dat het nummer gelijk is en dus de inhoud ook. En het is mijn schuld dat het resultaat glimt: had ik de verf maar moeten roeren! Het kostte veel kracht om mijn middelvinger in mijn handpalm te houden. O-)

Hij had nog een blik met Board black, wat hij hoofdschuddend overhandigde: “same, same”.

Voordat ik het blik opentrek moet ik eerst nog een paar dingen voltooien, zodat ik alles in één keer kan verven. Niettemin hou ik mijn hart vast…

Onderaan het originele blik.
In het middel het verkeerde blik, waar ondanks de troep aan de buitenkant nog Dark Black te zien is.
Bovenaan het nieuwe (juiste???) blik.

Verf 1.jpg

Mwah. Niet bepaald een "kleurrijk verhaal".
Bij de verfmeneer moest ik daarom eerst denken aan

Maar uiteindelijk wint een andere favoriete band het met

Toepasselijk: “crazy” is het woord dat me hier in de problemen heeft gebracht omdat begrijpend lezen hier niet echt ontwikkeld is. En dat gold dus ook voor die verfeikel." Shinen deed het zeker. O-)

Verf en bouten (2)

Vanuit de verfzaak door naar de bouten- en moerenzaak. Ook hier was, net als bij de verfzaak, een lint gespannen zodat je de winkel niet in kunt maar buiten moet blijven.

Eén van de zaken, waar ik al heel lang kom. Ik schreef ooit over de vaak gebrekkige kwaliteit van het winkelpersoneel:
“Ik moet hier trouwens een uitzondering maken voor Ut, de dame van de bouten-, moeren- en gereedschappenzaak. Eén van de familie, die de toko runt. Die kent me inmiddels goed en wil bij een vraag nog wel eens met een aantal alternatieven aan komen zetten. En die zijn ook nog eens vrijwel altijd logisch. Ik ga daar dus regelmatig met meer aankopen weg.”

Helaas is Ut (spreek uit als Oet) een eigen zaakje begonnen. Ik weet alleen niet waar. Maar er stond nu een “tijdelijke kracht” in de winkel, de dochter van één van de ander zussen. Opgeleid tot toeristengids, dus Engels sprekend en werkeloos in deze Covid-tijden. Was vreemd in het begin: ik ben al een tijdje geconditioneerd om daar met handen en voeten mijn wensen duidelijk te maken. Maar het ging al snel heel goed. Ze lijkt qua wijze van helpen sprekend op haar tante Ut, dus ik heb haar na afloop zeer hartelijk bedankt.

Een wereld van verschil met de verfzaak. En nee, dat zit hem echt niet alleen in het Engels.

Noise, trash and traffic the biggest nuisances in Vietnam

Noise 1.jpg

Heavy traffic on Cong Hoa Street, HCMC, January 17, 2020. Photo by VnExpress/Huu Khoa

What are the biggest nuisances of living in Vietnam? VnExpress International readers share some of the nuances that have been bugging them for a long time.
"Personally, I find the noise to be extremely disruptive. Throughout the day we have a huge number of sellers riding past our house blasting their offerings over loudspeaker. This starts at 6 a.m. and continuous until 6 p.m. and sometimes later.

Construction is allowed all day, every day, and is very loud and disruptive to rest.The pollution and trash filled streets is also really problematic and people just throw their trash on the ground when they're done with it.Seeing dogs on chains and the ongoing cat and dog meat trade is extremely upsetting."
Jerusha Liebenberg

"Roads are way too crowded, pavements full of vehicles, if I want to run I can't just go out of my apartment and run, I have to drive to the nearest park to do my daily physical routine."
Vance ST

"Watching plastic waste disposal is indeed very sad."
सूरज भगत

"Rubbish, litter, and lack of footpaths for pedestrians."
Melanie Cao-Gray

"For me, the biggest nuisances would be "sidewalk driving". Can not count how many times I was honked out to move out of the way for motorbikes while walking on the sidewalk. A nuisance but an adventure all in itself! I know I miss Vietnam, and would gladly put up with it again to return!!"
Clevie D Belyeu Jr.

"Truck horns! They honestly reduce the quality of life living in the city!!! Also the rudeness of people at shops jumping queues !!!!"
Ally Daubhill

"Bikes parked on the pedestrian sidewalks!!!! It forces me to walk on the road where bikes and cars are racing by. I feel unsafe walking around Hanoi and it gets far worse if I am with my kids."
Jasmine JungHyun Ryu

NOISE from multiple sources from construction to karaoke, screaming kids and parents that dont talk they shout at each other ( no wonder the kids scream). People need to learn manners and move into the 21st century.

Russ Harvey

When I 'find' something that 'offends' me (& not much does anymore) - I take a deep breath, count to 10 all the while chanting 'NOT my country, NOT my culture'. If a 'tay' can't accept that - you know where the airport is. Afterall, isn't that what our home countries say (about foreigners in our countries) - respect our culture/heritage/traditions (AKA the way we do things) or get out?

jeff_in_cambodia...

It's really no worse than any major city, albeit a bit nosier and dirtier just on the litter. Seriously people, use trash cans and it would be a lot nicer. If i am going to complain it would just be about the complete reckless stupidity of the drivers. I lost count of how many crashes and fatalities i have witnesses. Unreal how bad it is. Red means stop, not this my chance to beat the giant truck through the intersection.

miniredsatan

Nowhere on earth is perfect. You just either can accept it or not. Life progresses and hopefully it improves.

Christopher Law

Having lived in VN over 2 decades, one learns to adapt. We, who were brought up in a western country, will find fault in everything in Vietnam. I find that the introduction of auto's was the biggest problem. Late 90s, early 2000s, motorbikes were main mode of transportation. Annoying but one could maneuver in and around. When expressways criss crossed the country and people were encouraged to buy, (massive revenue source) astronomical pollution became the norm. Parking, horrendous problem. Horrific accidents. One gets used to these problems, they're not going away. My only beef, our home is in an apartment. Constant BARKING dogs. People are oblivious to annoying, all day, yapping. Please, leave dogs in home not on patios all day. Stuck in Canada going 2 years, I'm homesick for Vietnam.

NN

I left Vietnam five months ago, after staying more than 8 years in this country, exactly because of this reasons, noise trash and traffic. Now i live in Thailand and the quality of life is so much better here.

Murphy Heiniger

Ah the noise in Vietnam. The noise of the pushed exhausts, the karaokes, the dogs and the screaming. God help me.

Louise Verweert

CLEVIE - I agree with your comment. And if I remember correctly you were an English teacher at Englishville in Ho Minh City at the same time I was their Director of Studies. Hope all is well with you.
Greg Kleven gkleven48@gmail.com

Noise, trash and traffic the biggest nuisances in Vietnam - VnExpress International

Hoor je het ook eens van een ander…. O-)

Gelukkig heb ik nog een keuze:
Gek worden van het gekrijs van een stel asociale imbeciele castraten
Mijn eigen gehoor verkloten met oordoppen.
Terug naar NL, waarbij de kosten van zeevracht inmiddels een factor 10-15 t.o.v. vorig jaar is. D.w.z. als er al een boot te vinden is.
|(

Noise, trash and traffic the biggest nuisances in Vietnam

Foto noise 1

Heavy traffic on Cong Hoa Street, HCMC, January 17, 2020. Photo by VnExpress/Huu Khoa

What are the biggest nuisances of living in Vietnam? VnExpress International readers share some of the nuances that have been bugging them for a long time.

"Personally, I find the noise to be extremely disruptive. Throughout the day we have a huge number of sellers riding past our house blasting their offerings over loudspeaker. This starts at 6 a.m. and continuous until 6 p.m. and sometimes later.

Construction is allowed all day, every day, and is very loud and disruptive to rest.The pollution and trash filled streets is also really problematic and people just throw their trash on the ground when they're done with it.Seeing dogs on chains and the ongoing cat and dog meat trade is extremely upsetting."
Jerusha Liebenberg

"Roads are way too crowded, pavements full of vehicles, if I want to run I can't just go out of my apartment and run, I have to drive to the nearest park to do my daily physical routine."
Vance ST

"Watching plastic waste disposal is indeed very sad."
सूरज भगत

"Rubbish, litter, and lack of footpaths for pedestrians."
Melanie Cao-Gray

"For me, the biggest nuisances would be "sidewalk driving". Can not count how many times I was honked out to move out of the way for motorbikes while walking on the sidewalk. A nuisance but an adventure all in itself! I know I miss Vietnam, and would gladly put up with it again to return!!"
Clevie D Belyeu Jr.

"Truck horns! They honestly reduce the quality of life living in the city!!! Also the rudeness of people at shops jumping queues !!!!"
Ally Daubhill

"Bikes parked on the pedestrian sidewalks!!!! It forces me to walk on the road where bikes and cars are racing by. I feel unsafe walking around Hanoi and it gets far worse if I am with my kids."
Jasmine JungHyun Ryu

NOISE from multiple sources from construction to karaoke, screaming kids and parents that dont talk they shout at each other ( no wonder the kids scream). People need to learn manners and move into the 21st century.

Russ Harvey

When I 'find' something that 'offends' me (& not much does anymore) - I take a deep breath, count to 10 all the while chanting 'NOT my country, NOT my culture'. If a 'tay' can't accept that - you know where the airport is. Afterall, isn't that what our home countries say (about foreigners in our countries) - respect our culture/heritage/traditions (AKA the way we do things) or get out?

jeff_in_cambodia...

It's really no worse than any major city, albeit a bit nosier and dirtier just on the litter. Seriously people, use trash cans and it would be a lot nicer. If i am going to complain it would just be about the complete reckless stupidity of the drivers. I lost count of how many crashes and fatalities i have witnesses. Unreal how bad it is. Red means stop, not this my chance to beat the giant truck through the intersection.

miniredsatan

Nowhere on earth is perfect. You just either can accept it or not. Life progresses and hopefully it improves.

Christopher Law

Having lived in VN over 2 decades, one learns to adapt. We, who were brought up in a western country, will find fault in everything in Vietnam. I find that the introduction of auto's was the biggest problem. Late 90s, early 2000s, motorbikes were main mode of transportation. Annoying but one could maneuver in and around. When expressways criss crossed the country and people were encouraged to buy, (massive revenue source) astronomical pollution became the norm. Parking, horrendous problem. Horrific accidents. One gets used to these problems, they're not going away. My only beef, our home is in an apartment. Constant BARKING dogs. People are oblivious to annoying, all day, yapping. Please, leave dogs in home not on patios all day. Stuck in Canada going 2 years, I'm homesick for Vietnam.

NN

I left Vietnam five months ago, after staying more than 8 years in this country, exactly because of this reasons, noise trash and traffic. Now i live in Thailand and the quality of life is so much better here.

Murphy Heiniger

Ah the noise in Vietnam. The noise of the pushed exhausts, the karaokes, the dogs and the screaming. God help me.

Louise Verweert

CLEVIE - I agree with your comment. And if I remember correctly you were an English teacher at Englishville in Ho Minh City at the same time I was their Director of Studies. Hope all is well with you.
Greg Kleven gkleven48@gmail.com

Noise, trash and traffic the biggest nuisances in Vietnam - VnExpress International

Hoor je het ook eens van een ander…. O-)

Gelukkig heb ik nog een keuze:

Gek worden van het gekrijs van een stel asociale imbeciele castraten

Mijn eigen gehoor verkloten met oordoppen.

Terug naar NL, waarbij de zeevracht inmiddels een factor 10-15 t.o.v. vorig jaar is. D.w.z. als er al een boot te vinden is.

|(

Je tweede post met de aanhangende foto is gelijk aan de eerste post met foto. Je bericht staat er dus 2 keer in, 1 van 03.38 met fot en de 2e van 03.51 uur met aanhangende foto in extra bericht.

Gaat dat horendol nu al zo'n uitwerking krijgen :?

De tweede post kan niet worden verwijderd of overschreven. Xin loi.

Het probleem was, dat ik bij terugscrollen niet verder terugging dan de tweede post.

Aanvulling:
Het aanpassen van de eerste post met foto geeft nog steeds een foutmelding.

Laatst bewerkt:
Shot list

Tot mijn grote teleurstelling is er op dit gebied voor de iPad nauwelijks iets voor fotografen te vinden. Wel voor film met uitgebreide mogelijkheden voor het maken van belichtingsschema’s etc.

Dat is niet wat ik zoek. Wat ik wil is iets met foto’s, waar mogelijk een koppeling met een moodboard en de optie om aantekeningen bij een foto te maken.

Helaas. Niets!

Hoewel, na lang zoeken heb ik zegge en schrijven één app kunnen vinden die een beetje in de buurt komt van wat ik wil: PlanFOTO. Hopelijk maakt iemand ooit nog eens iets met meer functionaliteit.

PlanFoto 1.jpg

Het is trouwens de bedoeling om binnenkort versie 2 van mijn e-book Fotograferen uit te brengen.

Young Saigonese take to cycling after long lockdown

A newfound enthusiasm for bicycling has caught bike rental shops and clubs in HCMC unprepared, and many are scrambling to import bicycles to meet the demand.

On a Saturday afternoon in November My Hanh of Thu Duc City and Hong Tham of District 5 met at a bicycle club in District 1.

For two weeks the 23-year-old women had not been able to get bikes due to the huge demand, but they were third time lucky. It was the first time ever they had handled sports bikes and had to be shown the ropes by a club member.

Unlike Hanh and Tham, Lan Anh and her two friends in District 1 have been hiring sports bikes for weeks. Since Oct. 1, when HCMC reopened, they have been to riding every weekend instead of eating and drinking as they used to before the lockdown.

Cycling 1.jpg

Huynh Quyet Thang (R) shows Tham and Hanh how to use sports bikes, Nov. 6, 2021. Photo by VnExpress/Diep Phan

Tran Uyen, 21, has been renting a bicycle almost every day for nearly two months and riding alone.

Renting bicycles to ride around for exercise has become a trend among youngsters in Saigon, and bicycle shops and clubs do not have enough bikes for all of them.

Huynh Quyet Thang, owner of the club on Tran Nhat Duat Street where Hanh and Tham go, says: "On average, around 70 customers rent bicycles every weekend. We have only 40 and we just imported seven more to meet the demand".

He admits to being surprised that so many people have taken up riding after the lockdown ended.

Before the pandemic the club had members mostly aged over 30 who would organize trips to suburban areas. Now he lets everyone rent bikes after seeing the spurt in interest among young people.

A bicycle shop in Co Giang Ward also reported a surge in demand. Tran Huu Van, its owner, says he has never seen so many people rent bikes until now. He has more than 40 bikes, and they are taken most of the time.

"At first they only rode in the city center, now there are bike trips every week to the outskirts," he said.

An employee at a bicycle rental shop in District 3 says: "The numbers of customers is four times higher than before the pandemic. The message system to book a bicycle is always overloaded".

Her shop does not have enough bikes to go around, she adds.

According to many shop owners, the majority of customers are women aged under 30.

Many young people rent bicycles to experience a new hobby, saying they only ride around the city center to take pictures and sit in cafes for hours.

Bikes cost VND50,000 ($2.2) to VND120,000 to rent, and customers do not need to make a cash deposit but only need to leave their ID cards.

There are many reasons for young people to turn to cycling.

Cycling 2.jpg

Anh (L) and her friends travel to Thu Duc City by bicycle, Nov. 6, 2021. Photo by VnExpress/Diep Phan

Hanh says after months of being cooped up at home she wants to do outdoor exercises and breathe the fresh air instead of going to a gym like she used to.

"Biking is relaxing and easy to pick up. It is also the same for running, but one will get tired more quickly".

Anh's group of friends say: "After many days of staying at home and feeling stressed out by the epidemic, we now miss the sound of Saigon’s bustling traffic. Cycling is a way to see and feel the city reclaim its vibrancy".

Uyen, who spends hours glued to a computer attending online courses, just wants to ride around the city a bit to unwind at the end of the day.

Thang says cycling has become a new trend and will continue to thrive in future.

"Around 30 percent of first-time customers return after trying it out".

Similarly, Van’s shop has seen more than half the customers return to rent again, and many even bring friends along.

Some people also buy a bike assembled by him.

Despite only being acquainted with bicycles for a little over a month Anh's group already feels "addicted".

They realize that in addition to being relaxing, cycling also brings a lot of health benefits.

Uyen has also considered buying a bike to go on cycling trips to the suburbs with Thang's club.

Hanh and Tham, after returning from their first trip, said they plan to rent bicycles again next week.

Hanh said: "We wish we had picked up cycling sooner".

Young Saigonese take to cycling after long lockdown - VnExpress International

Het artikel wordt gebracht alsof men nu pas ontdekt dat er ook fietsen bestaan.

Erger is dat het ook nog klopt. O-)
Veel kinderen rijden al op e-bikes. Alleen arme mensen zoals ik rijden op een trapfiets.

Terug
Bovenaan Onderaan