Vietnam Deel 2

Sluipweg

Aan de sluipweg heb ik al eerder een serie foto’s en een aantal conclusies Vietnam Deel 2 gewijd.

Als pessimist hoopte ik toen al dat ik ongelijk zou krijgen. Helaas heb ik als realist (en cynicus) niet geheel onverwacht (mompelde hij bescheiden) het gelijk aan mijn kant. Ja, ja, ik weet het, maar het wordt me ook wel erg gemakkelijk gemaakt. O-)

Grote auto’s
De grote trucks met oplegger kun je al zien rijden. Nog niet zoveel, maar als één schaap over de dam is (of één truck over de weg)… Als ik dat een keer ’s morgens op de motor zie gebeuren (alleen fiets ik dan meestal) wil ik er achteraan rijden om te zien hoe dat met de bocht bij de grote markt gaat.

Geen vluchtstrook
Dit heb ik zelf aan den lijve mogen ondervinden.

Op de grote weg naar Dalat ligt rechts een soort baan voor motorfietsen. Zie Vietnam voor een foto en mijn ervaringen. Toegegeven, inhalende (vracht)auto’s proberen meestal wel binnen de binnenste witte lijn te blijven, zodat je als motorrijder nog wat uitwijkmogelijkheden hebt zonder echt de berm in te moeten.

Welnu, dat doet men op de nieuwe weg ook. O-)

Alleen zit daar vlak naast de witte lijn op grote stukken alleen maar een heel klein stukje asfalt, dan 2-10 cm. lager een klein stukje berm en vervolgens een sloot of een sterk schuin aflopende berm naar een rijstveld o.i.d.

Tijdens één van mijn fietstochtjes reed ik een stukje over deze weg, iets dat ik zoveel mogelijk probeer te vermijden. Maar soms…

En jawel, twee auto’s waren elkaar op traditioneel Vietnamese wijze aan het inhalen: langzaam en de inhalende wagen zo ongeveer tegen de witte lijn aan (is dat soms een hulpmiddel om recht te rijden?). Mazzelaar dat ik was zat ik net naast een stuk van een kleine meter breed asfalt naast de witte lijn, dus met het nodige geluk kon ik de inhalende verkeershufter net ontwijken.

Maar volgens mij is in de toekomst succes gegarandeerd en kunnen heel wat motorrijders leren zwemmen in het slootwater..

Gelukkig zijn de ontwerpers en ik allemaal even dom.

Sloot 1.jpg

Sloot 2.jpg

Pin the tail on the donkey

Pin 1.jpg

Jackets, shoes, and profiteroles

Until recently I assumed there is a grand plan behind the endless renovations and rebuilding of shops in the city center, with makeovers to the retail landscape researched, rationalized, and planned.

I’ve since learned it’s pretty much hit or miss, with more missing than hitting. For the record, I do not believe in Santa Claus nor the Easter Bunny, although I confess being fooled by the Tooth Fairy as a tot -- at least for a while. I thought studies were done before concrete was poured, however informal they might be, some polling of consumers, and assessments of the existing businesses before people started a new venture.

Turns out 'pin the tail on the donkey' would be a more accurate assessment -- that’s the children’s party game where blindfolded kids try to pin a paper tail in the correct location on the butt of a model of a donkey constructed from cardboard and stuck to a wall.

Take the Hong Kong-style milk tea shops -- a blatant example of lemmings going over a cliff.

A couple of years ago, there was hardly any of them in the center core of the city around Hoa Binh Theater here in Da Lat. Then suddenly they began sprouting up like weeds, one after another. The number of such shops peaked about a year ago at over 20 within a few hundred meters on my street. I kept thinking that unless a lot of people suddenly came to the city center absolutely dying for milk tea, how could so many identical businesses be supported? Turns out that was a good question because now there are less than ten open, still far too many to survive in the long term.

Even more disturbing is how quickly they closed down -- some of them in only two or three months. Did they think they’d fling open the front door to a stampede of parched tea drinkers bursting in like crazed Black Friday shoppers we see in social media clips? Rumors are swirling that the milk tea frenzy here in Vietnam is now nearly over, and will be replaced by the lemon tea craze, which is unlikely to create more tea drinkers, so the net result will be to replace milk with lemon until the next fad rears its ugly head.

I have a hunch the same fate is in store for fashion because the street hosts a disproportionate number of apparel retailers, shoe shops, women’s accessories, and trinket vendors, and even a couple of 'ao dai' (the elegant traditional ensemble featuring a colorful dress with a slit up the side and white pants beneath) tailors thrown in for good measure.

A couple of years ago there were only about 30 such enterprises, 35 at the very most. Suddenly there was a flurry of renovations followed by more shops opening, so now there are over 70 such shops on a single stretch of road. There is potentially some rationale behind all this, that being 'birds of a feather flock together,' referring to neighborhoods of some older Asian cities housing merchants who specialize in the same products.

Hanoi’s Old Quarter, with its streets of Hang Thiec (tinware), Hang Bac (silverware) businesses, and others, springs to mind. I can definitely see that happening to tin and silver, but when it comes to clothing, sporty tops with bizarre inspirational sayings such as 'While there is life' followed by a mysterious acronym 'eis' may only go so far.

Pin 2.jpg

Lost in translation?

To further muddy the waters, the Central Market is only a couple of hundred meters away.

Where else can you buy three pairs of socks for VND20,000 (slightly less than US$1)? For that price, if push comes to shove, you just toss them and buy another pair instead of doing the laundry, which I confess I’ve done.

Shopping in the local market is beneath some well-heeled types, who prefer the nice shops on the street, which definitely carries some weight. Many of the retailers in the neighborhood follow a common sequence, beginning with wild euphoria and optimism when they open up: ceremonies, blessings, opening parties, balloons, and away they go!

Then after a few months, the lights get dimmed to save on overhead costs, which is never an indication of a profitable enterprise, plus potential customers can’t see the goods on display and tend to keep walking.

The next stage is the addition of other products for sale in an effort to fluff up the bottom line, or at the very least keep the staff busy. Usually, the faltering businesses add fresh fruit and other fast-moving items that don’t take up much space.

I’ve noticed that the introduction of a basket of avocados at the entrance is synonymous with 'we don’t have enough customers,' often soon followed by shutters closed until someone thinks up the next venture.

Pin 3.jpg

Kiss of death?

During the last few months, a couple of takoyaki stands (the Japanese octopus-based street snack) have popped up and flourished in the evenings while the fashion shops that host them remain mostly empty during the day. Odd that the tail ends up wagging the dog, with the afterthought add-on business generating more revenue than the original concept does.

The rate of churn is incredible, with one store having changed personality and facade five times in the last two years: first it was a café, followed by a short stint featuring rice paper beef rolls, then an even more brief reincarnation as a breakfast soup joint (as if there aren’t already enough competitors within spitting distance), and finally it was recently resurrected once again as a café.

The new-look café was only open a few days when whoosh, it too disappeared in a flurry of renovations and just re-opened in recent weeks as -- you guessed it -- a women’s apparel shop! How many outfits do they think women can possibly buy? (Don’t answer that.)

Another retailer was flogging women’s shoes up until a couple of years ago, then they split the shop in two, replacing the shoes with leather jackets in the other half of the shop. Nothing doing -- I hardly ever saw a customer enter the joint, never mind buy anything.

Then suddenly one day a counter was installed at the front of the shoe side of the shop with a small oven behind it, a new canopy, and two perky, uniformed salespeople selling French-style profiteroles (cream-filled buns) stuffed with avocados, a cute local variation on a traditional pastry.

Great idea, at least in theory -- you can imagine customers saying: “I’ll take a pair of shoes, a leather jacket, and a cream bun, please.”

It never did catch on and the whole bun operation disappeared literally overnight without so much as a whimper. Gone with the wind -- the entire street did double-takes wondering how all tangible evidence of that profiterole stand vanished so quickly.

An ice cream shop popped up a few months ago named 'I-Cream,' I guess following the logic of 'I-Phone, I-Pad, I-This, I-That, and I-The-Other-Thing.' The neighbor confided in me that he told the shop owner about the English language error and suddenly a new sign denoting 'Ice-Cream' was mounted in its place. Not quite 'ice cream' but they’re headed in the right direction.

At that point it finally dawned on me: people just take a wild stab at opening these businesses!

Banzai!

They decide it’s worth a shot and away they go, either it works or it doesn’t, not the most scientific approach.

Either way, the last thing I would open in Da Lat is an ice cream shop because it rarely gets hot enough to create a stampede for the nearest outlet, and when it does get warm, people hit the 'kem bo' (the local avocado with ice cream treat) joints which are a dime a dozen all over the city.

Where is all this going and what are the new trends on the horizon?

I have noticed several convenience stores opening, but 'convenient' is definitely not the operative word. They pretty much carry the same goods with long shelf lives that the old-style corner stores do.

Missing are freshly prepared rice and noodle dishes which can be quickly warmed up, plus fresh fruit and snacks, which can already be found in such outlets in the major cities of Vietnam.

I’ve also learned from this informal survey what a relatively safe bet a coffee shop is. There are tons of them with more still opening up! We know where they’re getting coffee from since Vietnam is the second largest producer in the world, but what about the customers? They seem to be coming out of the woodwork as the shops do a roaring business, or so it appears.

Here’s the big take-away from all this: if you’re wandering around the city center, keep your eye out for a basket of avocados outside the shops, could be a sign of good deals inside!

Bron: Pin the tail on the donkey - Tuoi Tre News

Rick Ellis slaat hierboven de spijker op de kop. Dit is het grote-stad-equivalent van de “birdnest-fabrieken” die je hier in grote hoeveelheden ziet verschijnen en van de grote hotels bij het vliegveld, waar niets te beleven is.

Iemand verdient mogelijk iets en zonder verder onderzoek of nadenken wordt met $$$-tekens in de ogen het concept blind gekopieerd.

Trouwens, je ziet hetzelfde verschijnsel hier in de landelijke omgeving ook veel met eettentjes, die plotseling voor een huis verschijnen (en waar ik nooit iemand zie zitten).

Bijlagen

• Pin 4.jpg
    Pin 4.jpg
    250,6 KB · Weergaven: 5
Zebra

Het valt onmiddellijk op als je er overheen fietst.

Misschien dacht de één of andere verlichte geest hier dat auto’s wat langzamer gaan rijden als ze een zebra zien. Nou, dan heb ik nieuws: dat gebeurt zelfs niet als er vlak voor een zebra een rood stoplicht staat. Zie Vietnam Deel 2 voor mijn ervaring op een zebra in HCM.

Dus een geluk voor alle voetgangers, dat er geen voetpad op aansluit, worden ze ook niet platgereden… :+

Zebra 1.jpg

Mask-clad Saigon kids enjoy kite-flying in times of COVID-19

Kite 1.jpg

Two boys wearing face masks fly a kite at a kite field in District 2, Ho Chi Minh City, March 2020. Photo: Mai Thuong / Tuoi Tre

With all the time in the world to spare now that schools are closed due to the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), kids in Ho Chi Minh City are picking up the old-fashioned pastime of kite-flying, face masks and all, to wind away their days.

The kite field near one end of Thu Thiem Bridge in District 2, Ho Chi Minh City has become buzzy over the past few days as parents take their children there to fly kites.

Around 4:30 pm every day for the past weeks, hundreds of brightly colored kites in all shapes and sizes have been spotted hovering over the open land there, creating a lively and poetic atmosphere typical of the area every summer.

Though summer is still months away, children in the southern metropolis have been crowding the kite field as local schools have been closed since February
until at least April 5 due to the COVID-19 epidemic.

Kite 2.jpg

Kites in many shapes and sizes hover over a kite field in District 2, Ho Chi Minh City, March 2020. Photo: Mai Thuong / Tuoi Tre

It is quite a peculiar sight on the kite field as well because, in addition to kites, each kid is also clad in a must-have accessory amid the epidemic -- a face mask. “I wear a face mask to avoid the coronavirus,” said Dang Khoi, a third-grader in Phu Nhuan District.

Khoi’s mother told Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper she makes time to take her son to the kite field after work for kite-flying for leisure. “Although I am a bit worried [about going out in public], I made it a point that he must always wear face masks and wash his hands often as recommended by the Ministry of Health,” the mother said.

Kite 3.jpg

A boy wearing a face mask (right) reacts while going kite-flying in District 2, Ho Chi Minh City, March 2020. Photo: Mai Thuong / Tuoi Tre

Kite 4.jpg

A girl wearing a face mask flies a kite at a kite field in District 2, Ho Chi Minh City, March 2020. Photo: Mai Thuong / Tuoi Tre

Kite 5.jpg

A girl and her father, wearing face masks, fly a kite at a kite field in District 2, Ho Chi Minh City, March 2020. Photo: Mai Thuong / Tuoi Tre

Kite 6.jpg

Kites in many shapes and sizes hover over a kite field in District 2, Ho Chi Minh City, March 2020. Photo: Mai Thuong / Tuoi Tre

Bron: Mask-clad Saigon kids enjoy kite-flying in times of COVID-19 - Tuoi Tre News

Doet me denken aan mijn jeugd. Zelf vliegers maken. Ik denk dat ik dat nog steeds wel zou kunnen:
  • bamboe kruis
  • touwtje over de uiteinden
  • vliegerpapier erop en aan de zijkanten vastplakken
  • touwtje tussen kruising en onderkant met bevestigingslusje aan einde van één korte kant (zo herinner ik het me. Op Google zie je ook tussen boven- en onderkant)
  • staart eraan met wat papier.
  • stokje met een heel eind draad. Niet vergeten om dat aan het eind aan het stokje vast te maken. :+
En dan maar vliegeren vanaf de punt van het Noordereiland in Rotterdam boven de Maas. Eerst de staart wat finetunen zodat hij in balans blijft en vervolgens de hele klos met draad uit tot het einde.

Briefjes sturen langs het touw omhoog tot aan de vlieger.

Tja, soms had je pech en “ging hij sliep” (Rotterdamse?? uitdrukking voor “het touw breekt en de vlieger is foetsie”). '(

Tempel

Op één van mijn fietsrondjes staat dit tempeltje bij de inrit van een begraafplaats. Een poos terug hadden ze onder de boom een oude hoekbank gedumpt. Het was eigenlijk geen gezicht, maar ik heb er meerdere malen gebruik van gemaakt om comfortabel even uit te rusten en tot rust te komen.

Helaas is de omgeving weer schoongemaakt. Ik moet dus op zoek naar een ander rustpunt.

Tempel 1.jpg

Tempel 2.jpg

Google Doodle celebrates Vietnamese ‘banh mi’

Doodle 1.gif

An animation of Vietnamese 'banh mi' is displayed on Google's homepage on March 24, 2020.

Google Doodle, a temporary alteration of the logo on Google's homepages, on Tuesday featured an animation of banh mi, the popular Vietnamese street food sandwich that is a melting pot of cultures and savory ingredients.

Banh mi literally means ‘bread’ and is based on a type of baguette that was introduced to Vietnam in the mid-19th century.

The animated banh mi Doodle was rolled out in Vietnam and more than ten other countries including the United States, Canada, Singapore, France, Australia and Switzerland, celebrating the addition of the banh mi entry into the Oxford English Dictionary nine years ago on March 24.

Google's animated Doodle shows the making of a typical banh mi. It begins with a thin-crusted baguette being split lengthwise and dressed with condiments such as chili sauce, seasoning sauce, and mayonnaise.

It is then filled with a wide variety of savory ingredients, such as ham, cucumber slices, cilantro, and pickled carrots.

Doodle 2.jpg

A regular loaf of 'banh mi thit.' Photo: Chanh Niem / Tuoi Tre

“A loaf of Vietnam’s banh mi is a combination of Vietnamese and French cultures,” Google wrote in a passage introducing banh mi. “Over time, bread continues to be developed and modified with many new forms and ways of combining ingredients, meeting the culinary and taste needs of Vietnamese people.”

Vietnamese people consider banh mi as both a convenient meal to take away and a main or side dish that is full of nutrients.

On this occasion, the Ho Chi Minh City Department of Tourism has also organized a number of activities in the city, featuring culinary experts and celebrities, to further promote banh mi.

In addition, on Tuesday, a number of food delivery apps are also offering several discounts related to banh mi.

Doodle 3.jpg

Miss Universe Vietnam 2017 H’Hen Nie dons the 'banh mi' costume at a press meeting in Ho Chi Minh City November 21, 2018. Photo: Tuoi Tre

Besides Google and Oxford English Dictionary, many international culinary and media experts have also given recognition to Vietnam’s banh mi.

A story run in The Guardian about the world's best street food and written by foodie Richard Johnson in 2012 ranked banh mi in second.

The dish was also praised by the BBC’s correspondent David Farley as “the best sandwich in the world” in 2014, and by the late celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain in the show ‘Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations’ on CNN.

Bron: Google Doodle celebrates Vietnamese ‘banh mi’ - Tuoi Tre News

Dank weer voor het delen..
In China schijnt het dat er levende muizen door de soep gaan of worden jonge vogeltjes zo uit het nest opgepeuzeld..
Zie je dit soort dingen in Vietnam ook? Zijn er grote verschillen in eetcultuur?
Heeft Vietnam 'eigen' speciale hapjes?

In het algemeen gaat het grapje "Vietnamezen eten alles dat vliegt behalve een vliegtuig en alles met poten behalve een tafel" hier wel op. Ik heb voldoende vreemde zaken gegeten die je in NL echt niet op tafel ziet. Of de door jou genoemde lekkernijen hier ook gegeten worden weet ik niet. Ik zal de vraag doorsturen aan de expert.

Bánh tráng mè đen (1)

Ofwel, in “goed Nederlands” zwart sesam rijstpapier.

Ergens langs één van mijn fietsroutes zit een hele kleine bakkerij, waar ze rijstpapier maken. Dit is een overzicht van het overdekte deel.De vrouw bakt en de man doet de rest.

Sesam 1.jpg

In de gele zakken zitten de vliezen van de rijstkorrels, die als brandstof dienen. Op de voorgrond de onvermijdelijke karaoke-kast met daarop de provisorische oorpluggen. :+

Sesam 2.jpg

De vliezen worden onder een grote metalen schaal verbrand. In de schaal zit water en erover zit een strak gespannen doek.

Sesam 3.jpg

En in een grote plastic bak het beslag.

Sesam 4.jpg

Morgen deel 2.

Bánh tráng mè đen (2)

Er wordt wat beslag op de doek gegoten…

Sesam 5.jpg

…en goed dun uitgesmeerd. De opening aan de linkerkant in het doek dient om water bij te vullen in de schaal.

Sesam 6.jpg

Er wordt een rieten deksel overheen gezet en het rijstpapier wordt in ca. 5 seconden gaar gestoomd. Ook dit is ervaring: ze “weet” wanneer het gaar is.

Sesam 7.jpg

Met behulp van een stokje wordt het rijstpapier op de rand van een soort tafeltje gehangen.

Sesam 8.jpg

Morgen het laatste deel.

@slonzebons
Dank, dank. Ik vind dit ook één van de leukste dingen om te doen. Een beetje als de informatie-analyse in mijn oude vakgebied ICT.
In mijn e-book (zie onderaan) heel veel van dit soort verhalen over verschillende soorten van bedrijven.

@ Sammie & Kees
Sammie heeft wel gelijk met zijn reactie over de trommelrem. Het aantal motoren, dat hier zonder voorrem rondrijdt is m.i. heel groot en het aantal Vietnamezen dat de voorrem überhaupt nooit gebruikt nog veeeeel groter.

En die kat, tje, ik heb ze hier nooit op een menukaart gezien. Klopt, dat zegt verder ook niets. Aan de andere kant zie je hier ook nauwelijks een kat rondlopen. He Sammie, ben jij soms al hier op vakantie geweest? O-)

Bánh tráng mè đen (3)

Met behulp van dit zelfgemaakte instrument wordt het rijstpapier van de rand van het tafeltje gehaald…

Sesam 9.jpg

Sesam 10.jpg

…en op een rieten rek gelegd.

Sesam 11.jpg

De rekken worden buiten in de zon gelegd zodat het rijstpapier kan kunnen drogen.

Sesam 12.jpg

Het rijstpapier is ‘s middags rond 15:00 droog en hard en kan dan worden verkocht. Ik kreeg er een paar mee om te proberen. Inmiddels hebben ze ook een mapje met deze foto’s gehad. Dik verdiend: aardige lui, ook al verstaan we elkaar niet.

Martial arts transform lives of young women in Ho Chi Minh City

Art 1.jpg

Twenty-year-old Tu Phan (right) trains Vovinam, Vietnam’s traditional martial art form. Photo: Me Thuan / Tuoi Tre

Martial arts are booming in popularity amongst young women in Ho Chi Minh City as a means of staying active without logging long hours on a treadmill.

Studios specializing in martial arts from Vietnam, as well as from other countries throughout Asia, are popping up in neighborhoods all around the southern metropolis, drawing in crowds of locals looking to learn a new sport and get some exercise without the monotony of a boring gym routine. Sisters Tran My Hoa and Tran My Linh are two young locals who first began learning Taekwondo three years ago and have since fallen in love with the Korean martial art, adding the sport to their daily routines in order to stay fit.

'We wanted long legs!'
Hoa and Linh’s reason for taking up Taekwondo was pretty simple. “We wanted long legs. We heard that our legs would actually grow because Taekwondo requires a lot of leg moves,” they said, laughing. Though 70 percent of Taekwondo moves do involve using legs, it is pretty unlikely the sport will make the sisters any taller. Still, it has transformed the duo into a fighting force to be reckoned with.

The sisters’ daily routine starts each morning at 5:00 am with a training session on their rooftop in Tan Binh District, when most people are still sound asleep. Occasionally, their neighbors catch their early morning workout and are not shy about letting Hoa and Linh know how impressive their front, jump, flying side, and tornado kicks have become. Aside from their morning rooftop session, they also train with a coach three times a week.

In addition to improving their strength, stamina, and flexibility, both Hoa and Linh say it has given them confidence in their abilities to protect themselves. “Before all this, we were really low on energy, even when we only went out on short runs,” the two black belts said. “Now we’re able to run many kilometers and aren’t even scared to be out alone at night.”

Martial arts as a career
Tu Phan definitely stands out from the boys at the Quoc Thinh Cascadeur Martial Arts Club in Ho Chi Minh City. After all, the 20-year-old is the only female registered to train at the club. Phan has been training Vovinam – Vietnam’s traditional martial art – since middle school and, after impressing her coach, was advised to apply to the High School for the Gifted in Sports in Ben Tre Province, a few hours south of Ho Chi Minh City.

In 2018, after three years of excelling both academically and athletically, Phan moved to Ho Chi Minh City to study acting at now-closed Hong Van Theater in Phu Nhuan District. Of course, she has not left Vovinam behind.

At 7:00 pm each evening, she heads to the Quoc Thinh Cascadeur Martial Arts Club for a training session in the hope of one day making it big as a cinema kung-fu stuntwoman. Though many at the club are impressed by her skills, Phan says others try and discourage her by saying she will one day be forced to quit due to injuries and over exhaustion.

Phan, however, thinks otherwise. A perfectionist at heart, Phan spent her entire first week at the Quoc Thinh Cascadeur Martial Arts Club doing nothing but practicing her kick until she felt that she had mastered the technique. “All the other girls who tried to train in the same way quit after a few days,” she recalled.

Art 2.jpg

Bao Quan (left) trains to be a stuntwoman at Quoc Thinh Cascadeur Martial Arts Club in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam in this provided photo.

Bao Quan, a young female actress in Ho Chi Minh City, also hopes to bring her martial arts skills to the big screen. Quan says she became hooked on martial arts after she was stunned by Hong Kong actress Shu Qi’s performance in the 2002 film 'So Close.'

She first started her martial arts training at the Quoc Thinh Cascadeur Martial Arts Club in order to prepare for her role in the 2013 Vietnamese television series Mat na (The Mask). It only took one training session before she was hooked. “At that time martial arts became my passion and chance to star in more movies, especially those with major female action roles,” she explained.

Though she has not yet ‘made it’ as a lead kung-fu actress, her skills have earned her several stuntwoman jobs in Vietnamese films such as Lost in Saigon, Anonymous, and The Handmaiden.

Reflecting on her martial arts journey, Bao said she was extremely nervous at first, especially while participating in training sessions with other actors who had already had a wealth of experience. She also shared the pain she felt after each of her first few training sessions almost forced her to give up. “I was in agony every night but I became more confident over time,” she said.

Now, seven years later, the young actress is glad she stuck with it. “The biggest improvement in my life was my health. I’m much stronger and fitter than other girls. [Martial arts] keep my body in great shape,” she said.

According to Bao, the skills she has gained from her martial arts training have found their way into her daily life. “Before martial arts, I couldn’t even ride my bike because I was afraid of hitting someone. My hands were always shaking,” she recounted. “But now I’m better prepared for mishaps on the road. I’m sure I can survive any accident safe and sound.”

Bron: Martial arts transform lives of young women in Ho Chi Minh City - Tuoi Tre News

Zie ook de zussen Tam en Ngoc tijdens hun training Vietnam Deel 2 e.v. en Ngoc tijdens een shoot in het resort Vietnam Deel 2 e.v.

En ter vergelijking deCorona-adviezen van de ambassade hier in Vietnam.

Beste Nederlanders in Vietnam,

Wilt u Vietnam verlaten, maar bent u niet in HCMC of Hanoi? Overweeg om alvast naar HCMC of Hanoi af te reizen.
Wij adviseren toeristen en andere Nederlanders die geen essentiële reden hebben nog in Vietnam te zijn, het land zo spoedig mogelijk te verlaten en daarbij gebruik te maken van de nog beperkt beschikbare commerciële vluchten. Binnenlandse vluchten en publiek transport in en tussen steden is nog maar zeer beperkt beschikbaar (zie ook hieronder). Als u voornemens bent om Vietnam te verlaten, overweeg dan om nu alvast naar HCMC of Hanoi af te reizen. Zo voorkomt u een mogelijke situatie waarin u niet meer naar een internationaal vliegveld kunt afreizen.

Bent u een gestrande Nederlandse reiziger? Registreert u zich voor Bijzondere Bijstand Buitenland.
Reizigers die geen commerciële vlucht hebben kunnen regelen en dus onmogelijk zelf hun terugkeer naar Nederland kunnen regelen, kunnen zich aanmelden bij: Bijzondere Bijstand Buitenland - Koninkrijk der Nederlanden. Zie ook onze eerdere berichtgeving. Daarin staan ook links naar een aantal nuttige sites.

Ben u een gestrande Nederlandse reiziger en is uw visum verlopen/verloopt uw visum zeer binnenkort?
De Vietnamese autoriteiten hebben aangekondigd dat alle instanties waar u uw visa kunt verlengen (Immigration Services) tot minimaal 15 april zijn gesloten. Indien uw visum al is verlopen of voor 15 april verloopt, kunt u uw visum dus niet verlengen. Voorlopig gaan de ambassade en het consulaat-generaal (CG) er daarom vanuit dat wanneer u Vietnam voor 15 april verlaat, een verlopen visum voor de Vietnamese douane geen probleem is.

Aanvullende maatregelen in Vietnam om verdere verspreiding corona te voorkomen.
In het hele land zijn nu tot minimaal 15 april de volgende maatregelen van kracht:
- Blijf zoveel mogelijk thuis. Ga alleen naar buiten voor een medische noodzaak, het kopen van voedsel en medicijnen of wanneer u naar het werk moet. Houdt 2 meter afstand van anderen en zorg dat u met niet meer dan 2 mensen tegelijkertijd samen bent en een mondkapje draagt.
- Alle niet-essentiële dienstverleners zijn dicht. Supermarkten, apotheken, ziekenhuizen en benzinestations blijven open.
- Mensen die in de periode van 8 maart tot en met 25 maart Vietnam zijn binnengekomen, kunnen worden benaderd door de Vietnamese autoriteiten met de vraag hun bewegingen en sociale contacten in kaart te brengen. Op basis daarvan kunnen mensen worden gevraagd een medische test te ondergaan en/of gepaste isolatie-maatregelen te nemen (thuis of in een aangewezen centrum).
- Taxi- en Grab-diensten worden zeer beperkt aangeboden.
- Publiek transport in en tussen steden is zeer beperkt beschikbaar. Er is slechts één maal per dag een retour treinreis tussen HCMC en Hanoi beschikbaar.
- Alle binnenlandse vluchten vervallen, behalve één maal per dag een retourvlucht tussen de volgende steden: Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City en Da Nang.

Onze dienstverlening.
Indien u tijdelijk in Vietnam verblijft en ondersteuning nodig heeft bij uw vertrek, stuurt u ons dan een email (HAN@minbuza.nl of HCM@minbuza.nl), of belt u naar: +84 24 38315650 (ambassade) of +84 28 38235932 (CG) (tijdens kantooruren) of +31 247 247 247 (24/7). Onze consulaire dienstverlening wordt tot en met in ieder geval 6 april 2020 (a) beperkt aangeboden en (b) uitsluitend op afspraak via bovenstaande telefoonnummers.

Bent u inmiddels niet meer in Vietnam? Schrijf u zich dan uit voor deze Informatieservice.
1. Ga naar Informatieservice Buitenlandse Zaken
2. Klik op het gele vlak in het midden van de pagina: ‘Eerder aangemeld? Gegevens aanpassen’.
3. Vul uw e-mailadres in. Er wordt er een wijzigingslink gestuurd naar het opgegeven e-mailadres.
4. Klik op de wijzigingslink. Onderaan deze pagina staat de optie ‘Geheel uitschrijven’.

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Nederlandse ambassade in Hanoi en het consulaat-generaal in HCMC.

Hmm dus geen saté mauw-mauw? Ik zal in de war zijn met China en/of Korea.
Heeft die vechtsport ook werkelijk een praktisch nut? Soms lijken exotische vechtstijlen wel eens door de mand te vallen (zie youtube).
Vrouwen die zich goed kunnen verdedigen is natuurlijk altijd prima..

@sammie
Nee, en helaas ook geen saté Blaf-Waf. Hoewel je die laatste versie wel in de vorm van Vietnamese loempia’s kunt krijgen. Is goed te eten. :+
Ik las gisteren in de AD-app dat een stad in China het eten van honden en katten gaat verbieden.

Ik weet niet of er een echt praktisch nut is. Langere benen lukte in ieder geval niet. :+

En bij die zelfverdediging voor vrouwen speelt mogelijk nog iets anders mee. Tam, de oudste van de twee zussen, heeft in de zomer van 2018 een maand Engels gestudeerd in HCM bij Fulbright (scholarship). Daarna hebben we af en toe geskyped om haar Engels te oefenen. Ik heb daarbij toen het volgende probleem voorgelegd. Dit met in het achterhoofd de cultuur, dat ouderen altijd “hoger” zijn.

Ik weet dat je niet buiten mag vechten. Niettemin, wat doe je als:
  1. Een vreemde je borsten aanraakt
  2. Idem een klasgenoot
  3. Idem een buurman
  4. Idem een oom
  5. Idem ik.
Helaas ging haar Engels op dat moment nog niet zo ver dat ze mijn vraagstelling begreep. Dus helaas geen antwoord. Mijn persoonlijke inschatting als antwoord:
  1. Heel misschien een beuk maar denkelijk weglopen
  2. Afblaffen en weglopen
  3. Niets
  4. Niets
  5. Zeker niets. Ik ben de man van Minh, haar leraar.
Antwoorden 3 en 4, maar met name 5 zou ik heel sterk tegen in zijn gegaan. Wel tegen beter weten in.

Ik begreep uit een ander topic dat jij ook aan vechtsport doet? Welke?

Terug
Bovenaan Onderaan